The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #14,026 of 17,484
Hi Guys,

I just got Shure se535 limited edition, I have Samsung Galaxy note 4, snapdragon version...I am looking for a good sounding DAP certainly an updrage I need to hear from my note 4

will getting fiio x3 be a good option, I dont want to spend a lot

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #14,027 of 17,484
Hi Guys,

I just got Shure se535 limited edition, I have Samsung Galaxy note 4, snapdragon version...I am looking for a good sounding DAP certainly an updrage I need to hear from my note 4

will getting fiio x3 be a good option, I dont want to spend a lot

If i were you i would listen to it first ... I have both x3 and shure 535 with the grey filters that supposed to give the same sound of 535 ltd ........
With the stock shures and the stock x3 ... I found the sound is overly warm and not accurate...
With the grey knowles filters and new firmware updates of the player is far more enjoyable to listen .....
Then i modded my x3 amp circuit :D with a different opamp .. So it gives me more aggressive sound and less soft .. Because x3 and 535 are very soft combination... So i advise you to listen by yourself and you may consider more neutral sounding player if you don't love the warm sound ... Or may be a DAC /amp combo and stick it with your mobile phone is this suits your lifestyle

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #14,028 of 17,484
If i were you i would listen to it first ... I have both x3 and shure 535 with the grey filters that supposed to give the same sound of 535 ltd ........
With the stock shures and the stock x3 ... I found the sound is overly warm and not accurate...
With the grey knowles filters and new firmware updates of the player is far more enjoyable to listen .....
Then i modded my x3 amp circuit
biggrin.gif
with a different opamp .. So it gives me more aggressive sound and less soft .. Because x3 and 535 are very soft combination... So i advise you to listen by yourself and you may consider more neutral sounding player if you don't love the warm sound ... Or may be a DAC /amp combo and stick it with your mobile phone is this suits your lifestyle

thanks for ur response but I cannot audition X3 in my city before buy....I was wondering if X3 will sound better than Note 4 + FIIO E18 combination

I use E18 as USB DAC with my note 4

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #14,029 of 17,484
thanks for ur response but I cannot audition X3 in my city before buy....I was wondering if X3 will sound better than Note 4 + FIIO E18 combination

I use E18 as USB DAC with my note 4

It is not a matter of which sounds better .. It is a matter of what has a better synergy with your iems .. And i guess your e18 is more neutral than fiio x3 ( didn't heard it but from many reviews) so it will has better synergy than x3 ( from my point of view).. If i were you and want to upgrade the sound quality i would consider fiio x5 player or jds labs c5d dac and amp

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #14,030 of 17,484
It is not a matter of which sounds better .. It is a matter of what has a better synergy with your iems .. And i guess your e18 is more neutral than fiio x3 ( didn't heard it but from many reviews) so it will has better synergy than x3 ( from my point of view).. If i were you and want to upgrade the sound quality i would consider fiio x5 player or jds labs c5d dac and amp

great so you suggest I stick to my E18 and X3 wont be a big update in sound quality

actually I quite like the sound of just from note 4 using neutron player..

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #14,031 of 17,484
  great so you suggest I stick to my E18 and X3 wont be a big update in sound quality

actually I quite like the sound of just from note 4 using neutron player..

keep in mind i didn't hear E18 ... but from many reviews ..my opinion it is in the same league but different sound signature and more neutral .... so if you like your sound right now stick with it .. if you want to upgrade i think you will pay more than 300 $ to get it ....
i have x3 and want to upgrade too ... but i think i will wait to save more money to get : hifi-M8 or cypher labs theorem or even RSA amp but this is a different story 
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #14,033 of 17,484
Anyone on 3.22b firmware have issues charging to 100%? Mine stops at 83%.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #14,034 of 17,484
Anyone on 3.22b firmware have issues charging to 100%? Mine stops at 83%.

Do you mean 3.24b? I have 3.22b and that shows bars to show the battery level and 3.24b used the percentage. If you are talking about 3.24 then I had a very similar issue. It never would charge fully. The percentage was not accurate at all for me. It did charge fine because the green light was on which means it is fully charged when it was only at 74%. I went back to 3.22b and I find it much more accurate.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #14,035 of 17,484
Do you mean 3.24b? I have 3.22b and that shows bars to show the battery level and 3.24b used the percentage. If you are talking about 3.24 then I had a very similar issue. It never would charge fully. The percentage was not accurate at all for me. It did charge fine because the green light was on which means it is fully charged when it was only at 74%. I went back to 3.22b and I find it much more accurate.

Yeah thats the one lol

I left it on charge overnight and most I got was 83 percent.

Might have to go back to 3.22b as well, however I might just stick it out and wait for an update.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #14,036 of 17,484

Yeah thats the one lol

I left it on charge overnight and most I got was 83 percent.

Might have to go back to 3.22b as well, however I might just stick it out and wait for an update.

I agree with TheGiantHogweed, the battery indicator in FW 3.22 seems more accurate and looks better I think. There should be a new official firmware for the X3 soon but I don't know how soon that will be. probably not until after Christmas.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #14,037 of 17,484
  I agree with TheGiantHogweed, the battery indicator in FW 3.22 seems more accurate and looks better I think. There should be a new official firmware for the X3 soon but I don't know how soon that will be. probably not until after Christmas.

Yeah, I use Sergio's latest material theme so looks as all good for me here.

Hopefully a new stable firmware will be out soon tho from FiiO.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #14,038 of 17,484
I can even streach my budget and get x5 but does it has edge on sound qualoty over x3....can we bass boost it using eq

Personally I vastly prefer the X5 over the X3 but I value a natural SQ and clarity. I don't like audio that's missing bass, but I also don't like audio that over emphasizes it either. I typically listen to my X5 stacked with the e12 portable amp to my LCD-XC headphones and the sound is fantastic.

I liked the X3 when I had it but the X5 was that much better for me so I sold the X3. If you get the X5 you can boost the bass with EQ but it isn't as good as the hardware bass/treble control in the X3. In my opinion a better option would be to stretch a bit further and get the e12 with bass boost as well as the X5 if you don't mind stacking. Overall this combo will get you further along than just the X3 but you have to pay for it.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #14,039 of 17,484
Personally I vastly prefer the X5 over the X3 but I value a natural SQ and clarity. I don't like audio that's missing bass, but I also don't like audio that over emphasizes it either. I typically listen to my X5 stacked with the e12 portable amp to my LCD-XC headphones and the sound is fantastic.

I liked the X3 when I had it but the X5 was that much better for me so I sold the X3. If you get the X5 you can boost the bass with EQ but it isn't as good as the hardware bass/treble control in the X3. In my opinion a better option would be to stretch a bit further and get the e12 with bass boost as well as the X5 if you don't mind stacking. Overall this combo will get you further along than just the X3 but you have to pay for it.

Thanks but I already have e18 which I can connect to my phone and use it as external dac.. But I don't like the idea of stacking things on my phone and don't get a lot of improvement in sound quality

If the bass and treble is better in x3 and you say it's natural sounding then will you recommend me x3 over x5

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #14,040 of 17,484
Thanks but I already have e18 which I can connect to my phone and use it as external dac.. But I don't like the idea of stacking things on my phone and don't get a lot of improvement in sound quality

If the bass and treble is better in x3 and you say it's natural sounding then will you recommend me x3 over x5

The unmodified, stock sound, of the X5 is easily superior and much more resolving in my opinion. The X3 has better controls to modify the sound away from stock, but still doesn't sound as good as the X5 to me.

However, you may be wanting extra bass or a colored sound compared to the X5 so then X3 may be better for you based on what you've posted earlier. It's your call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back