The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #631 of 17,484
Quote:

Very sorry, lots of head-fi'er known that X3 is designed before E17, the build quality of X3 is not as good as E17, but the SQ is better than E17.

although we have the ability to make a more better X3 in build quality, but the time is not enough , also the cost will increase too. hope you can understand. but for X5 , it will represent our best ID in 2013. 

Does X5 offer a true LINE OUT? Does it play 24bits FLAC file?
What is the X5's battery life comparing to X3?

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #634 of 17,484
Quote:
Just measured the line-out to be 1.7Vrms, slight short of the full 2Vrms standard but still far ahead of the typical iPod's 0.55Vrms. That should be good news for those who want to use external amp but I reckon that's is not necessary unless we are talking about E12 into a 600ohm full size or feeding into a desktop rig.

Very interesting Thanx a lot, ClieOS.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #635 of 17,484
Personally, I'll be shocked if the X3 outshines the J3 in the SQ department.  I think the J3 WOULD be lifeless without Jeteffect 3.0 and BBE+, IMO this is what really makes the J3 worth it, using JE3.0 and BBE (personal taste) it's the difference between day and night. 

The other thing ( for me ) that comes to mind, is when someone mentions FiiO, I think, good company, good CEO, good prices, the products I've owned from them I have been happy with, but I have never been Wowed by them.   I'm sure some people will think that I am forgetting about the price your paying,   This might be true, but I own other products that were in the same price point and my expectations were surpassed, Blox would be a good example and even the Cowon J3.

Maybe I'm wrong but it would seem that FiiO are relying on the hardware to bring out the sound from the X3. And if that's the case, I don't feel that will be enough for the X3 to be a J3 killer, it maybe a little unfair for me to say this, but I guess I am going on from past experience from other audio products ... Plus going from the endless 60hrs of battery life to 10hr-15hrs at best might be an issue for me.

So when lol turokrocks states that the J3 will sound "Lifeless" compared to the X3......

You don't know how much I want to get excited, but experience tells me, let's just wait and see or hear in this case :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #636 of 17,484
Quote:
Personally, I'll be shocked if the X3 outshines the J3 in the SQ department.  I think the J3 WOULD be lifeless without Jeteffect 3.0 and BBE+, IMO this is what really makes the J3 worth it, using JE3.0 and BBE (personal taste) it's the difference between day and night. 

The other thing ( for me ) that comes to mind, is when someone mentions FiiO, I think, good company, good CEO, good prices, the products I've owned from them I have been happy with, but I have never been Wowed by them.   I'm sure some people will think that I am forgetting about the price your paying,   This might be true, but I own other products that were in the same price point and my expectations were surpassed, Blox would be a good example and even the Cowon J3.

Maybe I'm wrong but it would seem that FiiO are relying on the hardware to bring out the sound from the X3. And if that's the case, I don't feel that will be enough for the X3 to be a J3 killer, it maybe a little unfair for me to say this, but I guess I am going on from past experience from other audio products ... Plus going from the endless 60hrs of battery life to 10hr-15hrs at best might be an issue for me.

So when lol turokrocks states that the J3 will sound "Lifeless" compared to the X3......

You don't know how much I want to get excited, but experience tells me, let's just wait and see or hear in this case :)

The X3 has ten times the output power of the J3.....that's pretty significant, I would think.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #637 of 17,484
Quote:
ClieOS, can you please do a video review as well?
People including myself would love to see the X3 build quality and the UI.
Thanks,Musicday

Sorry, I am really not into the whole video thingy. I'll try to make a short video on the UI, no promise though.

Quote:
How is the SQ in Fiio X3 comparing to iPod Classic or Sansa Fuze?

Pg.37 and Pg.39. Better than Fuze, in short.

Quote:
Does X5 offer a true LINE OUT? Does it play 24bits FLAC file?
What is the X5's battery life comparing to X3?

X3 already has all those feature. I think it is a bit too early to call for X5 real spec, but it will have at least most of the basic features in the X3.

Quote:

BBE is a total software implementation so X3's hardware can easily handle it. However, it is also a very expensive piece of licensing. If the X series really goes big, I think it can make it to future X DAP (or even as part of X3 future firmware). But given FiiO is still testing the water with X3, I think it is too pricey an investment for now. The good news is similar bass and treble EQ like that on E17 is also on X3, so there are still some playability. Never listen to J3 before, but at least for X3, I don't think anyone will feel they are missing something without any EQ.

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #638 of 17,484
Quote:

The X3 has ten times the output power of the J3.....that's pretty significant, I would think.

Ten times the power? Wowzers! What's the output at 50 ohms? My Mad Dogs keep asking me...

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #639 of 17,484
Quote:
Ten times the power? Wowzers! What's the output at 50 ohms? My Mad Dogs keep asking me...

From the first post in this thread....

Output Power:      >300mW@16 ohms; >200mW@32 ohms

J3 output power is 29mW per channel@16 ohms. 

I forgot the J3 power rating was 29 per channel  
 So it might be only about five times the power.....I don't know if the X3's 300mW is both channels or just one.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #640 of 17,484
I always get annoyed by people who ask for information that is on the first page....Pot to kettle: "You're black!" Now that I've gotten my embarrassment out of the way, I think the Mad Dogs are still a bit too thirsty for the X3. I think they're destined for desktop duty.

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #641 of 17,484
Quote:

As far as the X3 has a decent EQ (to level some humps in the cans/buds), I'm fine with that. Never cared for any sound enhancements (short of crossfeed maybe). I'd rather have accurate representation, and somehow I expect X3 to have more detail and truer timbre and overall more sophisticated picture than even the non-enhanced sound out of J3.
I don't want to be blown away by sound, I wanna be taken over gently 
k701smile.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #642 of 17,484
ClieOS:
Did you hear any high pitch "CPU noise" from X3? There is no indication that there would be, but I would like to make sure.
My Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ has "CPU noise" when: 1) switching between albums; 2) playing SOME (but not all) 24/96 high resolution flac songs (no noise with 16bit flac, and those "noisy" 24/96 flac songs do not produce noise on computer [with or without transcoding]).
Thank you in advance for your comments.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #643 of 17,484
Quote:
As far as the X3 has a decent EQ (to level some humps in the cans/buds), I'm fine with that. Never cared for any sound enhancements (short of crossfeed maybe). I'd rather have accurate representation, and somehow I expect X3 to have more detail and truer timbre and overall more sophisticated picture than even the non-enhanced sound out of J3.
I don't want to be blown away by sound, I wanna be taken over gently 
k701smile.gif

I completely understand that, sound enhancements is a personal thing, I see plenty of people here who like there EQ flat and keep the sound as accurate as possible.  Regarding for the power or output is not that important to me since the earphones I use do not require it and if they did I can always use one of my FiiO amps :)  

And the end of the day, it's all very interesting and there is no doubt in my mind that FiiO will bring a high quality DAP with Lot's of features for a fair price.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #644 of 17,484
Quote:

To put them into a simpler, easier to understand form - If I were to classify DAP into 5 ranks (the bad, the okay, the good, the distinguished, and the great), I'll put Teclast X30 into the okay, Clip+ / Fuze and Nano 7G into the good, HM602 and Teclast T51 into the distinguished, while HM801 and HM901 into the great. At this point, I'll put X3 into 'the distinguished' as well. It isn't among the best, but it is noticeably better than what I consider to be good, solid sounding DAP.

Clip Zip uses the same chip set as Clip+, so I do believe they are comparable.

In term of SQ (good separation & detail) , how does X3 compare to:

1) Colorfly C3
2) HiSound RoCoo P
3) HiSound Studio V

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #645 of 17,484
ClieOS, thank you for all your answers and impressions, thus far. I have but one primary concern, with regards to the X3, and that's audible hiss with particularly sensitive IEM's. It's the one reason I always dreaded my experience with HiSoundAudio. So, if you wouldn't mind me asking, does the X3 exhibit audible hiss? I'm assuming that most any source will exhibit hiss at moderately high volume levels (as has been my experience with even the better sources I've owned), but I'm just trying get a better idea of how well the X3 performs in that department. Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back