The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #5,761 of 17,483
  How about you, which industry/ sector are you in and kindly bring me up to speed on how your industry feel about the x3?
Anyway, I spent about half year in Shanghai for work and nowhere during that period did the chinese gave the impression that it was really smart good business to actually release half baked software, albeit with fantastic hardware. If thats what you meant about your business standpoint, i do hope you clarify. 

As an Engineer myself, I feel the software is absolutely fantastic (even at launch). I have not even updated the firmware on my device. It is definitely not a half baked product. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #5,762 of 17,483
There seems to be a problem with the way the X3 handles numbering in "browse files" mode for this specific scenario. (fw 1.31)

I'll provide 3 examples of different albums to illustrate what happens. Abnormalities are shown in bold.

Example Album 1

Deep Purple - Greatest Hits

1-01 - Hush
1-03 - Speed King
1-04 - Fireball
1-05 - Strange Kind of Woman
1-10 - Lazy
1-16 - When a Blind Man Cries
1-02 - Black Night
2-16 - Ted the Mechanic
2-01 - Burn
2-02 - Stormbringer
2-14 - A Gypsy's Kiss
2-15 - Hungry Dazy

Example Album 2

Chris De Burgh - Greatest Hits

1-01 - Here is your pain
1-02 - Forever More
1-03 - The lady in red
1-21 - Footsteps
2-19 - Say goodbye to it all
2-02 - Sailing Away
2-03 - Everywhere I Go
2-04 - Every step of the way
2-18 - High on emotion
2-01 - Moonlight and Vodka

Example Album 3

Ayreon - The Theory of Everything

1-11 - The Theory of everything, part 2
1-01 - Prologue the blackboard
1-02 - The theory of everything, part 1
1-04 -The Prodigy's World
1-05 - The teacher's Discovery
1-09 - The eleventh dimension
1-10 - Inertia
1-03 - Patterns
1-12 - The consultation
1-13 - Diagnosis
2-20 - The blackboard
2-02 - Transformation
2-03 - Collision
2-04 - Side effects
2-18 - Dark Energy
2-19 - The theory of everything, part 3
2-01 - Fluctuations

It seems to be happening only with albums that contain 2 discs.

Can anyone confirm?

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #5,763 of 17,483
  There seems to be a problem with the way the X3 handles numbering in "browse files" mode for this specific scenario. (fw 1.31)

I'll provide 3 examples of different albums to illustrate what happens. Abnormalities are shown in bold.

Example Album 1

1-01 - Hush

IIRC, the X3 tries to parse the first part of the filename as a number and the parsing gets broken if you put a dash in there. Hopefully someone with a better memory than I can give you more detail. Personally I preferred the alphabetical sort which gave me control (just add leading 0's where necessary...). Currently I just separate multi-CD sets into different folders - means you can't play the whole set in one go though...

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #5,764 of 17,483
  The 'click' and initial and final power on and power off state can damage sensitive IEM's and especially CIEM's. So this was used in the E12 and what seems to be X3 now to protect CIEM's and sensitve units.

It's normal.

i have a problem with the fiio x3 clicking and this was the only post i found concerning this issue.

My Fiio X3 (1.31) makes the clicking sound immediatly after i plug in headphones (jh13, stage4). and the clicking noise is definitely played back from my phones.

i dont know, if that sound  can damage my CIEMs, but above all it is annoying.

is this behaviour normal ?

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #5,765 of 17,483
i have a problem with the fiio x3 clicking and this was the only post i found concerning this issue.

My Fiio X3 (1.31) makes the clicking sound immediatly after i plug in headphones (jh13, stage4). and the clicking noise is definitely played back from my phones.

i dont know, if that sound  can damage my CIEMs, but above all it is annoying.

is this behaviour normal ?

A 'single click' in the output on power-up or power-down is a common circuit issue that is often worked around with a mechanism to mute the output.

A 'clicking' would be something else. Plug your phones in when the unit is off then turn it on and play a track; any click or clicking? If the clicking starts after play is selected it's a very different issue.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #5,766 of 17,483
thanks for answeringv!

i did exactly as you said.

plugged in headphones 
turned X3 off ---> one click through CIEMs
turned X3 on ---> no click
selected a track
hit on the play button ---> one quiet click and then a louder click the same time the song starts to play

is it normal behaviour ?

EDIT: i just tried it with cheapish apple erabuds:
         same beviour for "hit on the play button ---> one quiet click and then a louder click..."

but now i know, that the "quit click" is coming from device (without IEMs in your hear it becomes of course                        loud,respectively noticeable)

the  "loud" click through headphones stays loud and annoying with the apple earbuds

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #5,767 of 17,483
  IIRC, the X3 tries to parse the first part of the filename as a number and the parsing gets broken if you put a dash in there. Hopefully someone with a better memory than I can give you more detail. Personally I preferred the alphabetical sort which gave me control (just add leading 0's where necessary...). Currently I just separate multi-CD sets into different folders - means you can't play the whole set in one go though...

Yeah, that's a big problem for me. Where should I report the bug? Fiio Support?

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #5,768 of 17,483
  thanks for answeringv!

plugged in headphones 
selected a track
hit on the play button ---> one quiet click and then a louder click the same time the song starts to play

is it normal behaviour ?

same beviour for "hit on the play button ---> one quiet click and then a louder click..."

but now i know, that the "quit click" is coming from device (without IEMs in your hear it becomes of course                        loud,respectively noticeable)

the  "loud" click through headphones stays loud and annoying with the apple earbuds

There shouldn't be any clicks after play is pressed.  Be sure to test more than 1 track, if you have some in different formats try the different formats.  Could be a glitch in the ripping of the track, or a software issue.  Are you running the latest firmware?  If not update to that first. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #5,769 of 17,483
My X3 died suddenly today. I was out walking my dog listening to music on my X3. About an hour and ten minutes into the walk, while playing back a 24/192 WAV file, the player just suddenly died.  Right in the middle of a song it just died and wouldn't turn back on.

I was very surprised as i knew that I had tons of battery left, as i had just charged the battery the day before and I only use my X3 about one to one and a half hours per day.

I thought maybe that particular file was giving the player trouble as it was originally a DSD file I converted to 24/192 WAV but I quickly discerned that this was not the immediate issue as the player wouldn't respond to the power button. 

All attempts I made for the rest of the walk home to try and get the X3 to turn on were unsuccessful. Once home i connected the X3 to my PC but the PC failed to recognize that the X3 was connected. The charging indicator light on the bottom of the face of the X3 lit up red, but the player would still not even turn on.

Before using the reset function I thought i would try something that James had mentioned in an earlier post in this thread and that was to press and hold the power button for several seconds but this had no effect either, I tried it twice, one time holding down the power button for about ten seconds the second time holding down the power button for at least thirty seconds. I removed the silicone skin and went to find a safety pin to utilize the reset function, but right as i was about to do the reset i thought I would try the power button one more time and low and behold this time the X3 turned on.

Everything seems good. The player did not go into playback of the file that was playing at the time of the crash, but everything was still intact

Very strange as I have had zero issues with the player since I bought it in August. BTW it was a nice cool morning, cold even by some peoples standards, so I don't think it was an overheating issue as the player felt cool to the touch right after it crashed.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #5,771 of 17,483
  My X3 died suddenly today.

This happened to me once when I was fiddling with the buttons faster than the X3 could keep up with. Any chance something was pressing the buttons in your pocket (or wherever you had the X3)? If so, I'm curious if you had the hold switch set - that might be a way of preventing this (if this actually is the cause).

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #5,772 of 17,483

Example Album 1

1-01 - Hush
1-03 - Speed King
1-04 - Fireball
1-05 - Strange Kind of Woman
1-10 - Lazy
1-16 - When a Blind Man Cries
1-02 - Black Night
2-16 - Ted the Mechanic
2-01 - Burn
2-02 - Stormbringer
2-14 - A Gypsy's Kiss
2-15 - Hungry Dazy

Example Album 2

Chris De Burgh - Greatest Hits

1-01 - Here is your pain
1-02 - Forever More
1-03 - The lady in red
1-21 - Footsteps
2-19 - Say goodbye to it all
2-02 - Sailing Away
2-03 - Everywhere I Go
2-04 - Every step of the way
2-18 - High on emotion
2-01 - Moonlight and Vodka

Example Album 3

Ayreon - The Theory of Everything

1-11 - The Theory of everything, part 2
1-01 - Prologue the blackboard
1-02 - The theory of everything, part 1
1-04 -The Prodigy's World
1-05 - The teacher's Discovery
1-09 - The eleventh dimension
1-10 - Inertia
1-03 - Patterns
1-12 - The consultation
1-13 - Diagnosis
2-20 - The blackboard
2-02 - Transformation
2-03 - Collision
2-04 - Side effects
2-18 - Dark Energy
2-19 - The theory of everything, part 3
2-01 - Fluctuations

It seems to be happening only with albums that contain 2 discs.

Can anyone confirm?

Wonder if you number your tracks as 101, 102...201, 202...301,302... etc. where the first digit is the disc number and the two following digits is the track number?  I know it's a pain to have to mess with that kind of thing but it should be easy to do using a utility like mp3tag.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #5,773 of 17,483
  thanks for answeringv!

plugged in headphones 
selected a track

is it normal behaviour ?

I'm having the exact same issue here as well. I'd like to see the clicking issue stop because it is uncomfortable to hear. I feel no clicks when I use coaxial or Line out. The clicking only happens if I use headphone out. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #5,774 of 17,483

My X3 died suddenly today.

This happened to me once when I was fiddling with the buttons faster than the X3 could keep up with. Any chance something was pressing the buttons in your pocket (or wherever you had the X3)? If so, I'm curious if you had the hold switch set - that might be a way of preventing this (if this actually is the cause).

I always have the hold button engaged when the X3 is playing and in my pocket. The first thing I did when it died was to remove it form my jacket pocket and disengage the hold button before attempting to power up the X3, without success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back