The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Oct 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2,626 of 3,613
Quote:
This is not a big deal for me personally but I do think any new high quality DAP with fresh FW should support ALAC now that it's become open source. Very common codec for home use and will be the one of choice once Apple starts offering HiDef downloads. You know that will be the case. Besides the rumors, why do you think they've made ALAC open source? To set themselves up for expanding their music store.

Since Fiio is still writing the FW, it should be easy to add this and future proof themselves, not to mention it could be a good selling point for those already with those files. Used often in home distribution systems and no converting would be an asset.

I agree 100% with you. ALAC support would be wonderful, and I'm sure fellow head-fiers who currently use iPods would really appreciate it. (Especially because ripping in to iTunes is so simple, along with other conveniences --  automatic album art downloads
beerchug.gif

Other than that, if Fiio can pull off an intuitive, fluid UI, I'd be so happy I might just have to cry. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #2,627 of 3,613
Oct 19, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #2,628 of 3,613
Quote:
TF = microsd. The max for a micro sdhc card is 32gb. I wouldn't count 64gb micro sdxc out though, until someone tests it. It's just like the clip+ and the fuze... They only officially support sdhc (32gb), but if you format a micro sdxc as fat32, it reads them just fine...

I don't think that's anything new gambit. Pretty much every MP3 player out there (with micro SD support) has been able to play the 64 GB SDXC cards as long as you format the card to FAT32. Works on my Sansa Fuze, Rocoo Ba Studio V 3rd ANV and DX100.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #2,629 of 3,613
Quote:
Agreed! 

I'd even go so far as to say 24/96 files are overblown and unnecessary. 
tongue_smile.gif

I don't agree at all. If you have good equipment there is most definitely a big difference between 16/44. At least to my ears. Even on the DX100 it is a nice upgrade over standard music but less practical and resolving in comparison to my DACport LX at home. To my ears the well recorded vinyl portrays the music as if you are there, while 16/44 is just listening to the music. The realism from the treble to the bass is amazing. Sound staging and separation are on another level. Thing is people have become accustomed to "less is more". It's been that way for a long time. Not saying that 16/44 is bad but there is more potential to  be had in music. Not to mention music standards have gone down hill since the after the 90s.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #2,630 of 3,613
Quote:
I don't think that's anything new gambit. Pretty much every MP3 player out there (with micro SD support) has been able to play the 64 GB SDXC cards as long as you format the card to FAT32. Works on my Sansa Fuze, Rocoo Ba Studio V 3rd ANV and DX100.

Exactly. Even the oldest devices I can get my hands on work fine with my 64gb card once you format it to FAT32. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #2,631 of 3,613
Quote:

I know it's not new 
blink.gif
. Like 4 people were freaking out because this player could "only support 32gb". I figured I'd point that out to stop them from freaking out....

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #2,632 of 3,613
Quote:
Quote:

I know it's not new 
blink.gif
. Like 4 people were freaking out because this player could "only support 32gb". I figured I'd point that out to stop them from freaking out....

Right...and then my friend what is the point in waiting another 6 months for this DAP to come out, when it doesn't bring nothing original, and Feiao said to me that SDXC support is not impossible, so they still have time to do it for us, for the costumers.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #2,633 of 3,613
Quote:
Right...and then my friend what is the point in waiting another 6 months for this DAP to come out, when it doesn't bring nothing original, and Feiao said to me that SDXC support is not impossible, so they still have time to do it for us, for the costumers.

musicday there is a difference between micro SDCX and SDXC so he may be talking about a full size SD card slot. Which isn't so bad due to the extra space (for now) but I do see the technology going obsolete in the near future to be replaced by micro SDXC exclusively.

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #2,634 of 3,613
Quote:
Quote:

musicday there is a difference between micro SDCX and SDXC so he may be talking about a full size SD card slot. Which isn't so bad due to the extra space (for now) but I do see the technology going obsolete in the near future to be replaced by micro SDXC exclusively.

I was talking about SDXC card not micro, please read post#171.
You can buy 256 GB SDXC now, but in few years we can get them up to 2TB.I want to buy a 192/24 DAP for listening to that music format, otherwise i can listen to my Clip+ 44.1,ok?
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #2,635 of 3,613
Quote:
I was talking about SDXC card not micro, please read post#171.
You can buy 256 GB SDXC now, but in few years we can get them up to 2TB.I want to buy a 192/24 DAP for listening to that music format, otherwise i can listen to my Clip+ 44.1,ok?
tongue.gif

K well last I remembered they said it would be micro SD card support. Either way it won't really matter because micro SD cards will eventually support up to 2TB as well.

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2,636 of 3,613
I think there is not much music in 24/96 and maybe even less in 24/192 format. Most format people use is 16/44 or 16/48 which is not that heavy weight. Many players that support TF/microSDHC also are capable of accepting 64GB microSDXC cards which gives 72GB together with internal storage. Not bad though. Regular 32GB microSDHC gives 40GB with internal storage, also good enough for many music lovers.
So here it goes gentlemen.

For uncompressed WAV files!

40GB storage can take   20 hours 43 minutes in 24/192 format
                                  41 hours 25 minutes in 24/96 format
                                135 hours 11 minutes in 16/44 format

72GB storage can take   37 hours 17 minutes in 24/192 format
                                  74 hours 34 minutes in 24/96 format
                                243 hours 20 minutes in 16/44 format

FLAC codec can give compression about 30 to 50% depending on music type and quality. So with FLAC you can simply multiply these numbers by 2. Even worst case 40GB gives 20 hours of music in ridiculous 24/192 format of uncompressed WAV. Given that playtime of X3 would be around 15 hours (just my guess here, don't trust this number) it will last you a whole charge with music not repeating itself in particular worst case mentioned above. And I'm not even talking about how much 320 mp3 can hold 40GB. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #2,637 of 3,613
Quote:
I think there is not much music in 24/96 and maybe even less in 24/192 format. Most format people use is 16/44 or 16/48 which is not that heavy weight. Many players that support TF/microSDHC also are capable of accepting 64GB microSDXC cards which gives 72GB together with internal storage. Not bad though. Regular 32GB microSDHC gives 40GB with internal storage, also good enough for many music lovers.
So here it goes gentlemen.

For uncompressed WAV files!

40GB storage can take   20 hours 43 minutes in 24/192 format
                                  41 hours 25 minutes in 24/96 format
                                135 hours 11 minutes in 16/44 format

72GB storage can take   37 hours 17 minutes in 24/192 format
                                  74 hours 34 minutes in 24/96 format
                                243 hours 20 minutes in 16/44 format

FLAC codec can give compression about 30 to 50% depending on music type and quality. So with FLAC you can simply multiply these numbers by 2. Even worst case 40GB gives 20 hours of music in ridiculous 24/192 format of uncompressed WAV. Given that playtime of X3 would be around 15 hours (just my guess here, don't trust this number) it will last you a whole charge with music not repeating itself in particular worst case mentioned above. And I'm not even talking about how much 320 mp3 can hold 40GB. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks TiEx, but don't forget if X3 battery life will be 15 h let's say, playing 24/192 files will be much less, let's say 10 hours...
Where are you Feiao, we need those test results, if they have started.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2,640 of 3,613

Users who are viewing this thread

Back