The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Apr 10, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #7,786 of 9,972
Oui, comme j'ai déjà suggéré plus haut, surement un "Burning Cable" serait utile! (Comme sur les iBasso)

XD

Ça fait du bien d'entendre la belle langue de Molière par ici :thumbsup:

Je vais essayer quelques trucs, si ça ne marche toujours pas, je le vend, je crache un peu au bassinet et je prend un Mojo. Selon les tests effectués, le Mojo est ce qu'il y a de mieux sous les 1000 euros.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #7,787 of 9,972
Ok, based on 1.4, subtle changes but to me it makes the difference:

1) Bigger font (E.G. converted everything from 12 to 14, 14 to 16 and so on).
2) Got rid of the speaker icon (useless to me)
3) Got rid of "G=" (useless)
4) SD card in icon removed, SD out and SD error remained.
5) Move the volume number away from the border after removing the speaker icon.

Looks very good to me, here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ild94zgjvhdu357/AAArVEhIyDFLvMim5V1AhItua?dl=0

Hopefully the link will work, let me know otherwise. Enjoy.

Thanks mate, I will try it !

I'm still wondering of Rockbox porting on the current Fiio devices, AFAIK Rockbox is the best CFW for old ipods, giving them a new life and awesome features.

Some headfiers reported that this mod works very well on the Xduoo X3 with amazing improvements in the SQ

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #7,788 of 9,972
Thanks mate, I will try it !

I'm still wondering of Rockbox porting on the current Fiio devices, AFAIK Rockbox is the best CFW for old ipods, giving them a new life and awesome features.

Some headfiers reported that this mod works very well on the Xduoo X3 with amazing improvements in the SQ

I have tried Rockbox in a ipod classic (when I did not have the X3II) and it did not quite work as expected. Rockbox needs a lot of development to make it work properly in the devices and sometimes when developers take over, they abandon the project as fast as they join. You are not going to believe me, but I like the X3II UI, I think it is simple and to the point, I just think they develop the UI ticking boxes (like the useless icons) and without consciousness of accessibility (like the small fonts and the icon colors in themes 2-6). I just got my X3II and I can tell you that I have enjoyed it A LOT, it is an amazing little device.

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #7,789 of 9,972
I prefer flat from the DAC and then I can tailor the sound using the headphones and/or the EQ. I'm looking into getting a new set of cans for portable use. Right now the choices are between Grado Prestige SR80e or Sennheiser HD598. Which cans do you (and anyone else who wants to comment) think are better for use with a X3II?

I own both. The Grados are nice, but no where near as comfortable as the 558. I find the 558 a bit more analytical. They benefit from a bass boost on my amp because they are lacking there IMO and I'm no bass head. The Grados can be harsh in the midrange and the highs are veiled behind the mids. 558 has detachable cable and the Grado has a 6'fixed cable (although it's easily modded). I prefer the 558 for my musical tastes (all things metal), but the Grados aren't bad either. With all that said, I'd recommend the Phillips SHP9500. I think they take the best from the 558 and the Grados and all frequencies are good with the right amount of detail. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #7,790 of 9,972
  Don't worry about the DAP - what are you looking for (attributes of the can) in the headphones?  the two you've chosen couldn't be more different.

HD598 - supremely comfortable, wide sound stage, can be a bit grainy in the upper end, relatively balanced though, over ear fit, feels like you are a few rows back in an auditorium
SR80 - narrow sound stage, very open, edgy, exciting, on-ear fit, pretty uncomfortable, excel at rock and acoustics, on the bright side of the spectrum, feels like you are on stage with the musicians

The two are chalk and cheese

Brooko's comments are pretty much identical to my impressions. I had used SR-80's for years & was a bit nonplussed when first trying the 598's but over time I came to prefer to 598's sound signature over the SR-80's & they became my daily driver. Now that I have the HiFiMan HE-400s' they've knocked the Senns off the throne. However that might not be too germane to the X3II conversation since they want more power than the 598's or SR-80's.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #7,791 of 9,972
  Ok, based on 1.4, subtle changes but to me it makes the difference:

1) Bigger font (E.G. converted everything from 12 to 14, 14 to 16 and so on).
2) Got rid of the speaker icon (useless to me)
3) Got rid of "G=" (useless)
4) SD card in icon removed, SD out and SD error remained.
5) Move the volume number away from the border after removing the speaker icon.

Looks very good to me, here is the link:

https://goo.gl/9V2Ryt

Hopefully the link will work, let me know otherwise. Enjoy.

Edit: 6) Sleep time on icon relocated.

Please use this link, I made some additional changes after playing with the FW.

https://goo.gl/9V2Ryt

I relocated the Sleep time on icon.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #7,792 of 9,972
  I created this for myself, I was annoyed by the unnecessary icons on the top bar. I eliminated the speaker icon and the "G=" and modify the SD card reader to just show up when there is no card or there is an error in the card. Also, I moved the volume number a little bit away from the border. Please let me know if anyone is interested and I will upload, it is based on 1.4 (OTG anybody?).

Thanks to x RELIC x for all the help.

Can you do this for the next stable firmware based on the 1.45 beta? Thanks.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #7,794 of 9,972
@originalsnuffy , could you please help me with something by sharing your thoughts? 

I have seen few say that X3ii is a warm source while few say it is neutral. I have not tried too many DAPs, but of all the players/sources (Sony NWZ A15, iPhone6, iPod Touch, Sansa Clip Zip, Macbook Pro) I have tried, X3ii seems to be the most neutral. I am planning on buying either a X7 or a Mojo soon. From your experience, could you please compare the tonality of these 3 devices?

Background:
I just ordered a 64Audio A10 and would like a good source to go with it. Few U12/A12 IEM owners found that the mojo did not pair well with the U12/A12 as the Mojo made the IEM sound smooth and lush when the IEM is already smooth and lush. After demoing the U12 and U10 side by side on my X3ii, I decided to go with the A10 as I found the U12 to be too lush for my tastes. Other than some extra added bass, more lushness and note thickness, U12 and U10 both sound pretty similar. 

I guess what I am trying to determine is, where X3ii stands in terms of tonality compared to the other DAPs or DACs such as the Mojo, Fiio X7 and DP-X1. I'd prefer something along the line of the tonality of the X3ii. Is Mojo less warmer than the X3ii or is it the other way around?

P.S: U10 and U12 are universal versions while A10 and A12 are Custom versions.

Thanks for your help!

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #7,795 of 9,972
EagleWings;

I have tried all the units you mentioned so I will give this a shot.

If you want, "neutral" then all three units you mentioned are pretty good bets, but at different price points and trade offs.  I think all three are good choices.

The bargain is, of course, the X3 II.

In the case of all three it is less an issue of warmth than how much instrument "air" you want.  All are relatively uncolored, though I would characterize the X3II as being perhaps very slightly warm.  But I have seen measurements that would imply that is a planted notion in my brain and that it is truly a flat device (something like a half db variation down at the highest frequencies if I recall; pretty much immaterial).

The Mojo requires a transport; it so happens the X3 II makes a fine transport for that unit.  The Mojo is in a class by itself and does in fact merit the reviews it has received.

The unit you did not mention that should also be considered, in my opinion, is the Shanling M2. 

I have to hand it to FIIO; product quality is good and with regard to hardware I have zero issues.  Firmware evolves, but this is expected.

That applies to every FIIO unit I have owned so far; on DAC/AMP and three players (two of which can double as DAC/AMPS).   I liked the X3 (both generations), X5, X7, and the E07 Andes DAC/ AMP.  The latter unit had some technical limitations that led me to the X3.   I personally only did not care for one unit; the X1 which I found harsh to listen for extended periods. But many here love that unit.  For me, the X5 is only a mild upgrade to the X3 so it would not be my first recommendation.

I play the X3 II all the time and love it.  My understanding is the firmware on the X7 has greatly improved in reliability, in my view it sounds almost as good as a Mojo.   But I would rather own an X3 and a Mojo over the X7 as the X7 is quite large and has a blue glow that is not to my taste.  Now the Mojo is bulky in its own right and gets hot to boot so there is that to consider.

But as many will point out; once you have a good unit improvements tend to be gradual in nature.  But I will say the Shanling is, to me, a step up unit from the X3 II but in my case the X3 II  is wonderful in its own right.  Personally I think the best bet is to purchase an X3 or a Shanling and then grab some awesome IEM units like the FLC8S.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #7,796 of 9,972
  EagleWings;

I have tried all the units you mentioned so I will give this a shot.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your detailed impressions. That was very helpful! I think I am inclined towards the Mojo now.

As for the Shanling M2, I considered it for a moment after I saw your comment about it the other day. But then I dropped the idea as soon as I learnt that, it has a high output impedance, as I only listen to IEMs. (I try to stick to devices with low output impedance)

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #7,797 of 9,972
Sure, let's see when the time comes and I can give it a try.

... sure, and you can send you bills to FiiO, and send your application as well !

:D

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #7,799 of 9,972
... sure, and you can send you bills to FiiO, and send your application as well !

biggrin.gif

I guess there is nothing wrong if I try to profit from my OCD...
atsmile.gif
 Just kidding, I will do it for the community with pleasure.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #7,800 of 9,972
I guess there is nothing wrong if I try to profit from my OCD...:atsmile:  Just kidding, I will do it for the community with pleasure.

Yes, Sure it's very appreciate!

Merci!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back