The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jul 23, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #4,951 of 9,972
The sound debates will never go away IMO.  If he's got the money to burn on 24's, so be it.  I just enjoy what I'm listening to and don't care if it's an MP3, flac, WAV, or whatever as long as it sounds good to me (the listener). 

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #4,954 of 9,972
  Like I said unless I know the file I can't tell the difference of a lossless file from a lossy file in 16 bit. However 24 bit audio I can tell the difference between that the 16 bit counterpart.

If you did an ABX-test on the same song in 16-bit file and 24-bit file and heard the difference, then you have 2 different masters of that same song.
For example, if you compare a CD version with 24-bit-HDtracks version of the same song, there is a big chance you will hear significant difference in sound, because the files have been mastered in the different way.

Now take that same 24-bit-HDtracks-file you have and reduce it to 16-bit file (with Foobar2000, for example), then ABX those 2 files. You won't hear the difference between those 2.

* Unless you crank up your audio system above 160 dB — that's when 24-bit file benefits will kick in, but that sound level will almost instantly damage your hearing irreversibly, and eventually will make you deaf.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #4,956 of 9,972

That's what everyone says.  I did the test and couldn't tell the difference.  I don't claim to have stellar hearing either, so results will vary from person to person so your statement is invalid.

If you could not tell the difference in ABX-test (like you just claimed), then you have validated my statement. Look 1 post above for details.

Results will not vary from person to person, since limits of human hearing apply to all humans.

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #4,957 of 9,972
  If you could not tell the difference in ABX-test (like you just claimed), then you have validated my statement. Look 1 post above for details.

Results will not vary from person to person, since limits of human hearing apply to all humans.

I'm not following you, but ok.  If I reading this right, results can't vary because of human hearing?  So then everyone hears exactly same and therefore we should all have the same results?  If that's the case, then how come I can't tell the difference when somebody else can?  Because results vary from person to person because we all hear differently due to genetics, hearing loss, or some other problem.  So it doesn't solve the debate, it only adds to it because there are people on both sides.  I think there is a thread over in sound science where this is already being discussed because this topic has nothing to do with the X3II. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #4,958 of 9,972
  If you did an ABX-test on the same song in 16-bit file and 24-bit file and heard the difference, then you have 2 different masters of that same song.
For example, if you compare a CD version with 24-bit-HDtracks version of the same song, there is a big chance you will hear significant difference in sound, because the files have been mastered in the different way.

Now take that same 24-bit-HDtracks-file you have and reduce it to 16-bit file (with Foobar2000, for example), then ABX those 2 files. You won't hear the difference between those 2.

* Unless you crank up your audio system above 160 dB — that's when 24-bit file benefits will kick in, but that sound level will almost instantly damage your hearing irreversibly, and eventually will make you deaf.

I really don't know, I meant it more as a generic statement. What I do know is when I say different I mean I can hear other noises going from lossy to lossless 16 bit, which I wouldn't notice unless I knew the song. And different from 16 bit to 24 as in the over all sound signature, I really don't know how HD tracks works if they're digitally re-produced or are actually rips of the physical media. And that's the sound signature difference to me nothing about mastering though I don't disagree it is a huge game changer, but I mean the actual media has unique sound signatures. And I prefer 24 bit in that regard, and I find that audio streams are a lot clearer/crisp. I do crank my music, not to the regard you're stating maybe 50% volume on 24 bit, 30% on 16 bit. But that level of output is fine for me.  It sounds smoother, and more accurate.

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4,959 of 9,972

I disagree with that last point as well, my hearing is completely different then joes down the street. You're thinking of average limits, it is wrong to in any scientific field to provide an absolute unless said source is a definitive property. Said range is not a definitive rather an excerpt from the frequency range as a whole. Said limits of averages are meant to be broken, it is like saying it is not possible to have a 200 IQ. The brain and sensory receptors may indeed have upper limits, however we as of this date do not possess the technology to guage such.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #4,960 of 9,972
Started using my X3II today. Man what a difference in sound quality over my iPod touch(4th gen) I was using, its like night and day. Very happy I decided to get this. The only part that annoys me is the scroll wheel. But I'll put up with it for now.

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #4,961 of 9,972
I tested the X3ii against an iPod 5th gen (i.e., the wolfson holy grail of iPod lovers). I found the iPod to have a warmer, slightly smoother presentation, but it added a very audible reverb-ish effect to many noises. I found it very strange and noticeable. It made the soundstage seem larger, but it muddied up some of the busy passages in songs. The X3ii was just clean and consistent, even if it was slightly less smooth sounding. Imaging was massively more precise. The only thing that continues to bug me about the X3ii is that the soundstage seems small, but maybe that's just the lack of added noise and a precise image. Whatever the case, I truly believe the X3ii is a great piece of gear.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #4,962 of 9,972
Started using my X3II today. Man what a difference in sound quality over my iPod touch(4th gen) I was using, its like night and day. Very happy I decided to get this. The only part that annoys me is the scroll wheel. But I'll put up with it for now.

You can navigate most menus using the forward and back buttons which is what I do and the center button to select something.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #4,964 of 9,972
A dac is needed for any digital to analogue conversion. In the case of the pc, it acts as a high-res sound device outputting from the headphone or line out/digital-coax.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #4,965 of 9,972
  As of 24 bit, there is simply no difference in sound quality between 24-bit and CD (16-bit) unless you exceed the 160 dB sound level, which will permanently damage your ears within seconds or make you deaf within minutes.
So the "benefits" of 24-bit sound are kinda... useless. But at least 24-bit sound does not degrade sound quality at all (it only wastes twice as much space on your hard drive for the same sound quality).

this is not accurate.

let me try to explain it.  you are thinking of absolute values but that's not how playback works.  you must think in terms of relative values.

lets say you set the volume control so that the loudest value on the file plays back and does not blast your system or your ears out.  you have just 'mapped' the max value down to a specific level of playback.  now, think about the range from 0 (no sound) to the max level you will hear from that volume setting.  that is your dyn range.  now, divide that range up into even 'pieces'.  if you have 24 bits of resolution (that's the key concept; resolution) you have smaller 'dividers' or quanta that you can represent the music as.  if you have 16 bits, the 'dividers' are larger and you have less resolution.  visually, think of it as dots per inch, sort of.  more dots per inch is higher resolution.

24 bits is useful.  not for LOUDNESS but for resolution.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back