The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jul 17, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #4,866 of 9,972
android inline remotes do NOT work, that much I know.

the protocol seems to be about the # of 'taps' you do on the control buttons, on the inline remote.  I found this by trial and error.  its not resistor based like you might think.

I ended up building a box that lets me control the x3 via IR and RF via the CTIA remote port and it was fun doing it.  wish there was more ability for remote control of this device...

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #4,867 of 9,972
  android inline remotes do NOT work, that much I know.

the protocol seems to be about the # of 'taps' you do on the control buttons, on the inline remote.  I found this by trial and error.  its not resistor based like you might think.

I ended up building a box that lets me control the x3 via IR and RF via the CTIA remote port and it was fun doing it.  wish there was more ability for remote control of this device...

The more lines I upgrade the less I like sound signature from the X3II, I'd just funnel it through a dedicated server and use a remote app to control it on a tablet/phone or use one of those smart remotes.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #4,869 of 9,972

Where did you hear/read this?  MP3s sound great on the X3II.  You can rip your own CDs into flac, so you don't have to rely on online sources.

I beg to differ, they do sound good depending on your setup however since I switched to a digital cable they sound all distorted. One of my favourite songs I can't listen to now unless I replicate it in the 16 bit counterpart is a remix so not easy to do. On the PC everything still sounds fine and jolly but it is just how the X3II processes the audio files. I have some it can't decode at all, some that decode in slow motion, and the rest sound a little distorted. The 16 bit files just seem distant, not much bass. The 24 bit files are a bit closer, still not much vividness to the track. They're a lot brighter with the digital cable which is great, but is not a worth while compromise. I mainly just use my laptop for this reason. I'm not out of the house for that long so I could just leave it turned on in my bag, charge it between coffee shops or w.e I'm going and it is fine.

The computer puts you right there, is bright, vivid, beautiful details and can still deliver the punch with a wide soundstage without any filters, enhancements, equalisers or w.e

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #4,870 of 9,972
  I beg to differ, they do sound good depending on your setup however since I switched to a digital cable they sound all distorted. One of my favourite songs I can't listen to now unless I replicate it in the 16 bit counterpart is a remix so not easy to do. On the PC everything still sounds fine and jolly but it is just how the X3II processes the audio files. I have some it can't decode at all, some that decode in slow motion, and the rest sound a little distorted. The 16 bit files just seem distant, not much bass. The 24 bit files are a bit closer, still not much vividness to the track. They're a lot brighter with the digital cable which is great, but is not a worth while compromise. I mainly just use my laptop for this reason. I'm not out of the house for that long so I could just leave it turned on in my bag, charge it between coffee shops or w.e I'm going and it is fine.

The computer puts you right there, is bright, vivid, beautiful details and can still deliver the punch with a wide soundstage without any filters, enhancements, equalisers or w.e

So if I read this correctly , they sound bad because you switched to a digital cable?  Perhaps the cable is the issue?  I run a set of HD558 with my X3 and do not experience any of the issues you've stated.  I don't run mine as a DAC, only as a portable player.  I don't know what to tell you. Hope you figure it out because the X3II is a excellent DAP.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #4,871 of 9,972

So if I read this correctly , they sound bad because you switched to a digital cable?  Perhaps the cable is the issue?  I run a set of HD558 with my X3 and do not experience any of the issues you've stated.  I don't run mine as a DAC, only as a portable player.  I don't know what to tell you. Hope you figure it out because the X3II is a excellent DAP.

lol, do do do.... In essence yes, you know I use the same cable on my computer there is no difference between how the audio runs on computer or on the DAP. Beyond the signal going to the X3II  then the AMP, as opposed to coming from the X3II and going to the AMP. I find with any upgrade the audio is changed significantly, to such a degree I don't like certain songs in high quality. The bigger the sample rate/size the better noise control you have, and some noises I don't like. But for the issue at hand I find the computer is able to better regulate the noise levels of files, the sound signature of the X3II was never thrilling to me, never stood out and now it just sounds like any other cheap player. I like the GUI it is fantasic, the ergonomic design of the device is great too but for me to play music on it. I wouldn't be in any rush.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #4,872 of 9,972

I've been following your posts since a while and they just don't make sense to me – I can't reproduce your issues. Granted, via separate amp or DAC the sound is better, but the X3 II's headphone amp isn't bad either. I just have to add some upper treble by means of its equalizer (compared to say the X5 II) to make it sound as good as I ever need on the go. I wouldn't use it as my main source at home, though – or just as a drive feeding a high-quality DAC or maybe a headphone amp.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4,873 of 9,972

I've been following your posts since a while and they just don't make sense to me – I can't reproduce your issues. Granted, via separate amp or DAC the sound is better, but the X3 II's headphone amp isn't bad either. I just have to add some upper treble by means of its equalizer (compared to say the X5 II) to make it sound as good as I ever need on the go. I wouldn't use it as my main source at home, though – or just as a drive feeding a high-quality DAC or maybe a headphone amp.

First time seeing you sorry :frowning2: but I can understand that I am on the fence kind of guy keep going between yards. Let me try two files here.... I did a bass one and it seems it was the cable  was responsible for that distortion issue caused error on the amp before, and X3II is very crisp sounding. For me though the audio just seems distant, I can hear a lot more detail on the computer. Still is a lot more vivid, lively compared to the X3II. I do use the DAC of the X3II

Dell Latitude (E6400)-->USB Cable-->X3II-->Black Dragon Digital Cable-->E17K-->HD25-II

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #4,874 of 9,972
  First time seeing you sorry :frowning2: but I can understand that I am on the fence kind of guy keep going between yards. Let me try two files here.... I did a bass one and it seems it was the cable was responsible for that distortion issue, and X3II is very crisp sounding. For me though the audio just seems distant, I can hear a lot more detail on the computer. Still is a lot more vivid, lively compared to the X3II. I do use the DAC of the X3II

PC-->USB Cable-->X3II-->Black Dragon Digital Cable--->E17K-->Headphones

I'm not going to doubt your impressions, but one thing that strikes me is your HD 25-1 II (correct?): It's long ago that I listened to it, and I remember it as a not very refined and resolving headphone. There seem to be two version around: one with lack of low bass and one with relatively high harmonic-distortion level. Which is yours? I just suspect that there may be some synergy issue in your case(s).

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #4,875 of 9,972

I'm not going to doubt your impressions, but one thing that strikes me is your HD 25-1 II (correct?): It's long ago that I listened to it, and I remember it as a not very refined and resolving headphone. There seem to be two version around: one with lack of low bass and one with relatively high harmonic-distortion level. Which is yours? I just suspect that there may be some synergy issue in your case(s).

For a guy going from the dollar store buds, to the HD 25-1 II it is quite refined lol. Though I do know they're not the greatest ones by a long shot. I was looking at the T1's for a replacement next year, I bought these towards the beginning of the year to become introduced with hi-fi audio. I couldn't even imagine listening without them or what a setup like yours would project as. Mine would definitely be the high harmonic issue, and it is all so absolute fact that this is a synergy problem. I'm not sure why the audio signatures seem so different to me, and I wouldn't be sure if an alternative brand of DAP would resolve this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back