The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 8, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #4,186 of 9,972
Do you know that X3 2nd gen may function as a high quality DSD to PCM converter?
Did you notice when we hold X3ii side by side with our smartphone we didn't get the annoying EMI noise from the phone?
Did you ever wonder if X3ii the battery can be replaced, and how the X3ii circuit board looks like?
Do you know that we cannot use the SPDIF cable from the old X3 or iBasoo DX90 for X3 2nd gen?

Find out more on my full review of Fiio X3 2nd gen here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13322

Happy readings!
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #4,187 of 9,972
Did anyone test the X3II with some very sensitive IEMs? I’d like to use it with my JH16 Pro and since the output impedance seems to be pretty low, at least ›frequency-response-wise‹ I expect it to  be a good match (better than my last DAP, the DX50). How about the background noise, any experience with that?

Cheers

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #4,188 of 9,972
  Did anyone test the X3II with some very sensitive IEMs? I’d like to use it with my JH16 Pro and since the output impedance seems to be pretty low, at least ›frequency-response-wise‹ I expect it to  be a good match (better than my last DAP, the DX50). How about the background noise, any experience with that?

Cheers

The most sensitive IEM I have are DN-2000 and DN-1000, which are much more sensitive to floor noise then my other IEMs. Both are paired beautifully with X3ii. Basically the headphone output is very quiet. I've measured the output impedance as well. Both at low and high gain. Please check my review, just above your post.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #4,190 of 9,972
I'd like to ask you aquestion about shure.
Since I have se210, I found them muddy. They are not new, but never
used. Do they burn-in? If it remains the same, I would consider some-
thing else. Westone um 10 or hf5. What I want is neutral sound, nothing
more or less.
BTW, personally, I do hear difference between mp3 and flac, not to
mention 24/192. Not an offence. I do.

All forms of drivers have some amount of break in, but we aren't talking night and day here.

Who are you to question how and why people use this device? I don't ask people why they listen to Flac when it sounds the same as well encoded 320 MP3.

I am a curious consumer...  When you say "FLAC" I am assuming you are talking about 16/44.1 and I said multiple times I was talking about 24/192.  It is funny you differentiate MP3 to 320 Kbps, but then you just label FLAC like it is all the same.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #4,192 of 9,972

All forms of drivers have some amount of break in, but we aren't talking night and day here.

I am a curious consumer...  When you say "FLAC" I am assuming you are talking about 16/44.1 and I said multiple times I was talking about 24/192.  It is funny you differentiate MP3 to 320 Kbps, but then you just label FLAC like it is all the same.

I don't care what format you're talking about about. It's not your place to tell people. 24/192 is just a scam but if you believe you hear the difference then good for you!

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #4,193 of 9,972
  I don't care what format you're talking about about. It's not your place to tell people. 24/192 is just a scam but if you believe you hear the difference then good for you!

It is your place to tell people that all high res music is a scam, but I can't ask a question.  The key difference is I was asking a question and you are telling us anything above 320 Kbps MP3 is a scam.  I guess I should go throw away all my CDs since those are 16/44.1 FLAC and instead get MP3s so I can enjoy my music just like you.

BTW, I own 3x as much DSD/SACD music as I do high res FLAC.  Should I keep listening to that or is it a scam too? 
popcorn.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #4,194 of 9,972

It is your place to tell people that all high res music is a scam, but I can't ask a question.  The key difference is I was asking a question and you are telling us anything above 320 Kbps MP3 is a scam.  I guess I should go throw away all my CDs since those are 16/44.1 FLAC and instead get MP3s so I can enjoy my music just like you.

No I'm talking to you. I don't go around criticizing people for what format people use on their devices. Whatever sounds best to each individual. I personally believe hi res audio is just a marketing gimmick.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #4,195 of 9,972
  No I'm talking to you. I don't go around criticizing people for what format people use on their devices. Whatever sounds best to each individual. I personally believe hi res audio is just a marketing gimmick.

I didn't criticize anyone, I asked a question.  If you had read past the post you quoted you would have seen a discussion on what I asked already.

24/192 is just a scam but if you believe you hear the difference then good for you!

I would say this is the definition of criticizing.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #4,197 of 9,972
Suggestion - @NCSUZoSo and @bruce1967

Any chance we can stop this current debate, or take it elsewhere.

For the record, I've tested myself dozens of times - and while I'll suggest that other people should also test themselves (properly) - if they're not open to doing that, and/or are confident that they can differentiate, who am I to burst their bubble?

And @NCSUZoSo - I've noticed you make a couple of claims as fact so far - especially to newbies.  It might be far better to state them as opinions - saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

So for example this:
 All forms of drivers have some amount of break in, but we aren't talking night and day here

becomes
IMO,  all forms of drivers have some amount of break in, but we aren't talking night and day here

It's only a little word - but helps detension the situation a bit.  FYI - Shures engineers were asked about their drivers breaking in.  Here's what they had to say (seeing as how you were discussing a Shure IEM)

Shure Here’s something we hear pretty often – that headphones require a ‘burn in period’.  What about it?

Yuri Shulman This is more myth than fact.  Some people make the argument that the driver’s suspension could be a little unsettled when the headphones are brand new.

At Shure we don’t subscribe to that thinking – again, what could be true for some loudspeakers (where there can be a 100-hour or so burn-in period) doesn’t directly apply here.  It’s a matter of perception.  Shure headphones sound the same a year after using them as they did brand new.

Link - http://blog.shure.com/inside-headphones-with-yuri-shulman-shure-engineer/

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #4,198 of 9,972
"some" is a relative word 
wink.gif
  I get what you are saying though about using IMO.  I agree that the Shure IEMs change a tiny amount if any at all.  However my third level engineering physics class covered this exact topic and the conclusion was exactly what I posted.  For now own I will finish my posts related to hardware with YMMV

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #4,199 of 9,972
  "some" is a relative word 
wink.gif
  I get what you are saying though about using IMO.  I agree that the Shure IEMs change a tiny amount if any at all.  However my third level engineering physics class covered this exact topic and the conclusion was exactly what I posted.  For now own I will finish my posts related to hardware with YMMV

If your class actually took measurements, and you'd be willing to share them in the Sound Science section, I'd definitely be interested.  Especially in relation to audibility of change.

But enough OT for now :)

My next job (for tomorrow evening now) is to compare the X5ii and X3ii head to head.  Should be fun.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #4,200 of 9,972

Cheers

It's not the quietest when you have very sensitive IEMs. Not bad but definitely audible hiss when not playing music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back