The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Jul 15, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #31 of 1,083
  Just wondering, how will the E10K, as far as computer use goes, compare with the E18?

E18 has a better DAC and about double the output power. If you are aiming for the better of the two, then I'll say E18 has the advantage. But purely for PC use, E10K has better value for money.

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #32 of 1,083
  It's my understanding that a filter such as an apodizing filter that aims to decreasing pre-ringing inevitably causes phase shift in the treble and / or treble rolloff (while making no comment on the desirability of an apodizing filter vs the lack of phase shift and / or rolloff
wink.gif
). Since I see neither phase shift nor rolloff in the spec sheet, I'm assuming that it wasn't turned on in the end, tom.
smile.gif

The way I see it, you might need an apodizing filter if you find that you have tested that you can hear a 22.05kHz sine tone (rather than any distortion products produced in the attempt from poor transducers to produce said tone), and thus there exists the possibility that you can hear the ringing at 22.05kHz produced by a brickwall filter for 44.1kHz audio
smile.gif

Alright, so it's the good ol' FIR Sinc filter --- nothing wrong with that!

Usually, IIR interpolation filters gain benefit if the interpolation factor is high, such as 8x, so that you'd be band-limited at 176.4 kHz rather than at 22.05 kHz. Then, a more shallowly constructed filter would be fine, as it won't roll-off audibly, and it'd still be adept at stop-band rejection of aliasing. The issue with the IIR filter built into the PCM5102A is that its stop-band frequency is at 0.55 FS rather than at 0.5 FS or lower, so stop-band rejection of images at say, 25 kHz, is only about -55 dB.

Just wondering, how will the E10K, as far as computer use goes, compare with the E18?

The two use a very similar USB receiver stage, the Tenor TE7022L, which uses a single 12 MHz crystal to generate multiple clock frequencies for the PLL required to synchronize the transport clock with the DAC. So on that front, jitter performance should be very similar.

However, the analog output of the E18 is more complex. The PCM1798 is a current output DAC, so it needs an I/V conversion stage to go with the gain stage and buffer stage. Is it better? I'd say just different, but on the power front, if the E18 uses battery power during USB DAC transfer, then it might have a little cleaner performance in the low frequencies (results will show up on an FFT) than the E10K. At the same time, the E10K shows better SNR performance, so it's possible it has a cleaner noise floor through filtering. If any of this is in the least bit audible, I don't don't know.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #35 of 1,083
  How does this compare to the E07K?

As an USB DAC, in a numbers-to-numbers comparison, the E10K will outperform the E07K (better distortion, better SNR). However, the E07K is a more versatile unit, and in addition to being an USB DAC, serves as a portable amplifier and allows for channel balancing as well as EQ settings. The E07K is very slightly (negligibly) more powerful (into a 32 ohm load, 220 mW vs. 200 mW for the E10K), but maximum current delivery for both is about the same (~75 mA).

Any channel tracking issues with the volume control?

It's an analog pot, so of course you'll have tracking issues at low volume. It goes away at the "1" position for me; the numbers on the dial go up to "8".

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #36 of 1,083
  How does this compare to the E07K?

Any channel tracking issues with the volume control?

Remember also that this is a 24bit DAC, so you can afford to lower the digital volume on your PC a little just so you can turn the pot higher (and go over the unbalanced area) without suffering from SQ lost.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #37 of 1,083
Just bought one from B&H online. Any thoughts on how this will handle the hd580? It's mostly for the purposes of casual listening so I'm not expecting TOTL performance. I also use the k240S which is much lower impedance(55ohms) than the 580 so I expect that the e10 will be fine with those.

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #39 of 1,083
  Just bought one from B&H online. Any thoughts on how this will handle the hd580? It's mostly for the purposes of casual listening so I'm not expecting TOTL performance. I also use the k240S which is much lower impedance(55ohms) than the 580 so I expect that the e10 will be fine with those.

Should be fine on high gain with moderate volumes. If you don't listen too loudly, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. What were you using to drive the HD580 before? The E10K has a line-out, so if you have an existing amplifier, just connect it to the E10K and enjoy the DAC.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #40 of 1,083
Thanks tomscy2000. I have an O2 that I use when I'm mixing and editing my music or when I want to  listen critically. I use the gamma1 dac or the emu 0404 line out. But for casual, non-critical, listening I'm hoping the e10 should meet all my needs. My new laptop has horrible onboard sound, so any usb audio will be much preferable to that obscene assault on my ears!

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #42 of 1,083
  Thanks tomscy2000. I have an O2 that I use when I'm mixing and editing my music or when I want to  listen critically. I use the gamma1 dac or the emu 0404 line out. But for casual, non-critical, listening I'm hoping the e10 should meet all my needs. My new laptop has horrible onboard sound, so any usb audio will be much preferable to that obscene assault on my ears!

The DAC on the E10K should be way better than the Gamma 1. Hook your E10K up to the O2 for critical listening.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #44 of 1,083

The DAC on the E10K should be way better than the Gamma 1. Hook your E10K up to the O2 for critical listening.

Well, I'm listening right out of the box now, and I'm not at all impressed by the amp section of the E10k. I plugged the line out into the O2 and the difference is night and day. I'll give it some burn in time however before making any further comments on the amp. I'm very impressed by the little DAC section however....sounds awesome right out of the box when I plugged it into the O2....VERY impressive for such a tiny little unit. Later I'll hook up the gamma 1 and perhaps do a comparison. I've been very happy with that DAC, which I bought directly  from Mr. X, as well. It's supposed to be one of the top budget DAC's you can get. It will be interesting to compare the two DAC's. I'll have to give the amp section some burn in time....right out of the box I'm a little disappointed....but the DAC is very impressive....it's worth the price I paid for the DAC alone.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #45 of 1,083
Of course the built-in headphone amp section is not going to be as good as the standalone O2. FiiO never claims to use magic powder after all
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back