The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Sep 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #151 of 1,083

Power yes, but I tried it with my 300Ohm Senns and several 250Ohm Beyers and they don't sound optimally at all. Just looking at power, it can drive them however. (But is that what you want?)

I'll have to do a more careful listen and compare the dt250 out of the e10 with the dt250 paired with my o2 amp. They sound quite good out of the e10 however the O2 is obviously a better amp.

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #153 of 1,083
The Headfonia review is now out with some comparison to its predecessor. http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e10k-classic-reborn/

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #159 of 1,083
Quote from the headfonia review:
 Unfortunately there still is a small issue with channel imbalance on the volume pot.

Damned.
mad.gif

I thought they fixed this already with an updated revision of the E10?
Two steps forward and one back...

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #160 of 1,083

Damned.
mad.gif

I thought they fixed this already with an updated revision of the E10?
Two steps forward and one back...

Channel imbalance is inherent in every analog potentiometer. It can be either better or worst, but there is really not such a thing as totally balanced pot, except for digital or stepped attenuator that often costs a lot and as big as half a E10K. AFAIK, FiiO didn't try to fix any balance issue with any of the E10 reversion. Reversion 2 with the gold RCA is for time delay fix, the reversion 2 is for the headphone jack. The pot that is used in E10K currently is the same pot used in all the previous E10 reversion, made by Alps.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #162 of 1,083
  I think it can be fixed by us, just lower volume in Windows and increase volume at E10K, only for some light cans
---
can't wait this DAC released in my country

Don't forget the gain switch as well.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #163 of 1,083
  I think it can be fixed by us, just lower volume in Windows and increase volume at E10K, only for some light cans

Yeah, but remember that Fiio E10 had a very bad resolution. NwAvGuy said that E10 had "16.2 bits effective resolution", which means if you decrease volume on PC, you will loose sound quality. Don't know if this was fixed with E10k.

can't wait this DAC released in my country

In my country, it is finally available since a few days via. FiiO-Shop.de. So I assume other countries will follow soon.
wink_face.gif

I will order one soon, then I can tell whether channel imbalance is a big issue. If yes, I will return it. I also have some very sensitive headphones (32 Ohms, 110 dB sensitivity), which typically require much down-regulation.

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #165 of 1,083
  how do you detect channel imbalance without a meter? is the imbalance really that big on the e10k? like 10db difference?

You can use RMAA on your PC. Normally it will be a few dB of imbalance on the lower position on the pot, likely under 9 o'clock, then it becomes less and less as you turn the pot up, nearing 12 o'clock. Once it is under 1dB, it is usually safe to say there is no imbalance issue since 1dB is how much human normally can detect.

10dB difference, especially if it is around 12 o'clock on the pot, shouldn't be considered as a normal imbalance issue, but a faulty unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back