The Entry Level Stax Thread
Feb 8, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,411 of 3,322
Yeah, probably the same guy. Sorry about that! Are the gold versions really supposed to be better?
Yes. The gold are better then the regular 5's. I owned a used pair once but they had channel imbalance so I returned them. Been looking for a set ever since. I'll admit I'm jealous, but Glad the guy didn't flake out on you. At least they went to a head fi'er. Put me on the list if you don't keep them :)

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,412 of 3,322
Looking at the response plots there, http://home.comcast.net/~audiod/StaxCom2.jpg, I'm not sure about the golds being in "far surpass" of the regular sr5. That is, the gold version uses the sr-x drivers as far as I know. Based on the plots, a few eq tweaks and you should have the same sound, unless there's some massive problem with distortion elsewhere.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,413 of 3,322
Yes. The gold are better then the regular 5's. I owned a used pair once but they had channel imbalance so I returned them. Been looking for a set ever since. I'll admit I'm jealous, but Glad the guy didn't flake out on you. At least they went to a head fi'er. Put me on the list if you don't keep them :)

Interesting...and I will!
  Looking at the response plots there, http://home.comcast.net/~audiod/StaxCom2.jpg, I'm not sure about the golds being in "far surpass" of the regular sr5. That is, the gold version uses the sr-x drivers as far as I know. Based on the plots, a few eq tweaks and you should have the same sound, unless there's some massive problem with distortion elsewhere.

I was playing around with EQ yesterday after I got them (they are definitely lacking in the bass department). Sounds good with just a little bit of the lower frequencies boosted.

I'm running them off my DIY speaker amp that is very low wattage...can anyone recommend a cheap-ish speaker amp to power these?

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,414 of 3,322
I think I am just the kind of person this thread was meant for. I am interested in getting some Stax, but I am not wealthy to the point of spending $3000 on some headphones. So I am looking at some inexpensive used Stax, but I want something that still embodies the 'Stax' sound as much as possible. So first of all I am looking for some suggestions on equipment to look for on ebay, audiogon and here that would fit what I am looking for. Second of all based on my looking so far I have a couple questions.
 As I was looking through various ads for Stax systems I noticed that there seem to be two types of systems. One uses a box they call an 'Energizer' that appears to run off the speaker outputs of a conventional amplifier and the other is an actual amp that plugs into a wall outlet for power and has inputs for a cd player or something like that. Are those two systems exclusive? Are there phones that only work with the energizers and other phones that only work with the amps? How can you tell what you need for a given phone, amp or energizer? I also noticed on some of the amplifiers they had two sets of outputs, one labeled 'standard bias' and one labeled 'Pro Bias' What is the difference between standard and Pro and again are there phones that only work with one or the other. I would imagine the thing to do would be get one of the amps that have both outputs and then you wouldn't have to worry about it.
 Lastly I listen mostly to classical and jazz, but I also listen to some popular/blues based music ala Joe Bonamassa, Eric Clapton, and that sort of music.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,415 of 3,322
A good place to start would be the wikipedia and wikiphonia articles on Stax:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stax_Ltd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stax_products
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stax_Earspeakers_Overview

The wikipedia list is pretty exhaustive in terms of what Stax has made. Stax hasn't released anything new in recent years so the list of entry level models in the first post of this thread are still the best recommendations for a first Stax system. For the archetypal Stax sound, look into the Lambda series, the ones with large rectangular driver housings, that have been in production under various model designations since the 70s.

About systems with adaptor boxes, note that the ones labelled "Adaptor for Electret Earspeaker" won't work with "Pro Bias" and "Normal Bias" electrostatics as it's a different operating principle. Other than that, match the number of pins on plug and jack and you'll be fine. Wiki has some explanation about bias. Normal Bias has been supplanted with Pro Bias so unless you'd like to play with vintage gear, there's no need to go out of your way to look for Normal Bias drivers.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #1,416 of 3,322
I think I am just the kind of person this thread was meant for. I am interested in getting some Stax, but I am not wealthy to the point of spending $3000 on some headphones. So I am looking at some inexpensive used Stax, but I want something that still embodies the 'Stax' sound as much as possible. So first of all I am looking for some suggestions on equipment to look for on ebay, audiogon and here that would fit what I am looking for. Second of all based on my looking so far I have a couple questions.
 As I was looking through various ads for Stax systems I noticed that there seem to be two types of systems. One uses a box they call an 'Energizer' that appears to run off the speaker outputs of a conventional amplifier and the other is an actual amp that plugs into a wall outlet for power and has inputs for a cd player or something like that. Are those two systems exclusive? Are there phones that only work with the energizers and other phones that only work with the amps? How can you tell what you need for a given phone, amp or energizer? I also noticed on some of the amplifiers they had two sets of outputs, one labeled 'standard bias' and one labeled 'Pro Bias' What is the difference between standard and Pro and again are there phones that only work with one or the other. I would imagine the thing to do would be get one of the amps that have both outputs and then you wouldn't have to worry about it.
 Lastly I listen mostly to classical and jazz, but I also listen to some popular/blues based music ala Joe Bonamassa, Eric Clapton, and that sort of music.

I'm really well-satisfied with my Stax Lambda Nova Basic set, which is similar to the 2170 set. It has the amplifier with the separate power source and RCA sockets. I put splitters on the sockets, so I have an RCA cable connected to a stand-alone Tivoli CD player and an RCA cable that terminates in a 3.5mm jack that I can put in my laptop to listen to iTunes. This is now my basic set-up at home, surpassing in sound quality all the dynamic headphones I used.

If I were you, I'd reserve 500-600$ and look on eBay/Craigslist for a used electrostatic set. The sound quality of the electrets cannot be compared to the electrostatics.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #1,417 of 3,322
Shame about the stax trets. Sennheiser back then showed you could make electret electrostats that sound better than plain electrostats - I'm sure stax could've done the same had they tried.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,418 of 3,322
I have been on the hunt for some vintage STAX since this seems like it may be the cheapest way for me to dip my toes in, and was wondering if either of these two seem like good deals:

SR-5 and SRD-7 with no channel imbalance or audible hum but with some cosmetic damage for $200 (shipping and Pay Pal fees included).  From what I've read I should be able to get a set like this around $150 so this may be overpriced.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-vintage-stax-sr-5-srd-7-try-real-stax-at-an-affordable-price-paypal-shipping-included-2015-02-04-headphones-95037-morgan-hill-ca

The other one I was looking at was:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-stax-gammas-srd-7-great-stax-sound-for-the-price-of-regular-phones-paypal-and-shipp-2015-02-04-headphones-95037-morgan-hill-ca

No clue if that's a good price on the Gammas so some input would be appreciated.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,419 of 3,322
Gammas are electrostatic, though rated a little lower then the lambdas from what I gather

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,420 of 3,322
  I have been on the hunt for some vintage STAX since this seems like it may be the cheapest way for me to dip my toes in, and was wondering if either of these two seem like good deals:

SR-5 and SRD-7 with no channel imbalance or audible hum but with some cosmetic damage for $200 (shipping and Pay Pal fees included).  From what I've read I should be able to get a set like this around $150 so this may be overpriced.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-vintage-stax-sr-5-srd-7-try-real-stax-at-an-affordable-price-paypal-shipping-included-2015-02-04-headphones-95037-morgan-hill-ca

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-stax-gammas-srd-7-great-stax-sound-for-the-price-of-regular-phones-paypal-and-shipp-2015-02-04-headphones-95037-morgan-hill-ca

No clue if that's a good price on the Gammas so some input would be appreciated.

I'd go for these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stax-Lambda-Nova-Earpeakers-with-SRM-Xh-Driver-Unit-Pristine-Condition-/261773804058?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Headphones_Earphones&hash=item3cf2ef421a

This is basically my set.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,421 of 3,322

Personally I'd stick with the Lambda models, I bought my SR-202 set for $300 from Yahoo Auctions (plus shipping from Japan) and my SR-Lambda set for $200, so I think those two listings are overpriced. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,423 of 3,322
Sorry to keep peppering you all with questions about prices but would and SR-202 and SRM-300 for $525 be a fair price?  They seem to be in excellent condition.  The only other reference I can find is the same set being sold for about 490 euros.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #1,424 of 3,322
  Personally I'd stick with the Lambda models, I bought my SR-202 set for $300 from Yahoo Auctions (plus shipping from Japan) and my SR-Lambda set for $200, so I think those two listings are overpriced. 

May I ask what amp or energizer you are using with those and how much it costs. Would an amp be better than the energizer pretty much always?

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,425 of 3,322
May I ask what amp or energizer you are using with those and how much it costs. Would an amp be better than the energizer pretty much always?

SRM-212
It's basically the SRS-2020 set since mechgamer123 also has the SR-202.

I bought the SRS-2170 (SR-207 + SRM-252S) last year for around $650 USD. Nowadays you can find it from PriceJapan for $471. That's a complete STEAL for the price. Like literally a steal. I think the system sounds better than many headphones that are more expensive (not even including the DAC or amp).

As for the energiser vs amp, generally I've read that the amp sounds better, but maybe others can chime in on this.

I suppose the only other question I have is, would it be worth it to score a 207 and invest more in a "better" energizer? I honestly don't know anything about how stat setups work. There's a lot of confusing info regarding them, from people who seek to feel like there're large gains to be had by moving up the X07 ladder, or the energizer ladder.

Nope, it's not worth using the 207 and getting a better energizer/amp. The little amp it comes with does a great job with the 202/207, even on my KGSSHV(high(est?) end DIY solid state) I wouldn't say there's much of an audible difference unless you're really pumping it, and even then, things only sound a tiny tiny bit less compressed. At reasonable volumes, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference even in direct A/B comparisons.

As for moving up the x07 ladder, eehhhhhhhhhhh that'll be like splitting ball hairs, would not recommend based on value alone. (ie. only do this if you somehow find yourself a lambda nut, in which case you'll probably hunt for an old lambda or go for the 407)

I suppose what I really meant to say is that you would be getting the full 'stat experience with the 2070 set, so don't worry about missing anything. The yen is really weak against the USD, dooo iiiiiit.

The 007/009 are kind of a different enough flavour that I'd say they aren't comparable to the 202/207(more so with the 007), but yeah, based on intrinsic sound quality, there's nothing much between them. That's not to say the 007/009 are bad, it's just that the basic lambdas are quite good! (to sum it up, 007 moar bass with darker signature, 009 a bit more neutral without as much of a treble tilt as the lambdas)

But you know, if you're really into the stat sound, the last 5% makes quite the difference if you're picky, which is par for the course in this hobby. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back