The Entry Level Stax Thread
Sep 19, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #2,341 of 3,322
The consensus seems to be that the Lambda series pairs well with the tube-based drivers.  I don't have much experience with drivers other than the 252s I had, but I can attest to the SRM-T1 sounding awesome with the 404LE.  It has a nice warm, rich sound, but there is still that Stax clarity and detail.  I remember the 252s being a bit thinner and sharper sounding.   My guess is that the 207 would be that much better on the T1 or other tube-based driver.  I probably over-paid for the T1 given other people's comments about it ($625 on eBay) but it's in great cosmetic condition and worth it so far. The only thing I am worried about is I have no idea how old the tubes are and whether they will need changing soon.  It's built in 1987 so the tubes could be original for all I know.  I wouldn't know the first thing about changing tubes, bias settings, etc.  I would have to find someone in the area to do it for me.  Good luck with that - the only Stax most people know are the Lay's potato chips.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #2,342 of 3,322
So...the SR-207's impulse response looks like this...

c91a2a49_207.png

...but the SR-009's impulse response looks like this...

66273991_009.png

Does anyone know why it looks like that? I made a joke to myself that it's so fast it goes back in time. lol

the only Stax most people know are the Lay's potato chips.

bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #2,344 of 3,322
The 2170 system beat any planar or dynamic headphone I've ever heard but can understand that they might not satisfy in the bass dept for rock music. It was awesome for jazz and acoustic though. I've got the 404LE now and it is even better, especially with vinyl. The T1 driver is really a perfect pairing for it. The only upgrade I would consider at this point is the L700 but not for a while.

For someone interested in Stax though, the 2170 is perfect and will get you hooked.

It's not quantity, rather how tactile and present it is. I feel like I'm the odd one out, but even the bass-light AKG 240 Monitors with an early roll off seem to have a slightly more engaging low end. My ears must be tricking me. I agree that the 2170 system is unbeatable for the price. 

I loved the 207 with literally everything, and I listen to just about all types of music. Sounded amazing to me with pop, rock, metal, electronic, you name it. I didn't really feel that the bass was lacking, and didn't have any noticeable problems with the upper frequency response either. (Check out this graph again to see that it follows the compensation curves more closely than nearly all other headphones.) And trust me, I'm sensitive to harshness and brightness. Countless other headphones are harsher and/or brighter than the 207. I think we're on the same page in terms of being able to enjoy the two aforementioned signatures, though. You'd probably like the 207 even more after experimenting with a parametric equalizer. I'd like to equalize the HD 800 to see what it's capable of, since someone with lots of experience mentioned it's actually capable of even more impact than planar magnetics with the right alterations! (But in stock form, it has issues; enough for me to prefer the 207 no matter what the HD 800 did better.)

Classic electronic and new wave sound great, even some better produced modern electronic music like SOHN or Ott, but the other half of my collection isn't as favourable. It's something about the reproduction of the upper mids that is grating with certain instruments, especially already harsh digital synthesizers, that is unlike any other headphone I've heard. Anything with a 90s Nord or Yamaha AN1x lead patch is overwhelming. I may have an unbalanced pair, though I wouldn't be surprised if the response is as linear as the graph and my other headphones are all more flattering. My supposedly flat studio monitors reveal bad recordings, but don't emphasise harshness in that frequency range nearly as much. I've made a few different EQ presets and they do mitigate the issue, though I feel like they dampen the headphone's character which absolutely shines with certain material. I appreciate that my experience isn't shared by others. I'd love to mod an HD800, though from the impressions I've read I'd have to change it's fundamental characteristics to really appreciate it 
redface.gif

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,345 of 3,322
So what is the least I can reasonable expect to pay to get my hands on an entry level Stax setup if I am buying used?

What are good headphone and driver unit models to look for on eBay or the for sale forum here?

I am hoping to get my hands on a setup early next year.

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,346 of 3,322
  So what is the least I can reasonable expect to pay to get my hands on an entry level Stax setup if I am buying used?

What are good headphone and driver unit models to look for on eBay or the for sale forum here?

I am hoping to get my hands on a setup early next year.

About $300 usd for amp+headphones. That will be an entry-level amp like the 252 or a transformer box and a modern probias lambda frame headphone. You can go cheaper with a normal bias headphone like the Mk III through a transformer box for sub $150 too. You just need to hunt around and be patient. The japanese auction sites especially have good deals on the really old gear occasionally.

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,347 of 3,322
I might sell the SR-5/SRD-7 set up (see photo near my username) only because I don't listen to them much anymore because of the 404LE I have.  I am on fence though because they are fantastic but it would be fair to give others a chance to enjoy them. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #2,348 of 3,322
  I might sell the SR-5/SRD-7 set up (see photo near my username) only because I don't listen to them much anymore because of the 404LE I have.  I am on fence though because they are fantastic but it would be fair to give others a chance to enjoy them. 

Aww, I thought you were gonna wait until the end of the year. I probably won't be able to get it from you then.
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #2,349 of 3,322
I have a 2020 system and wonder if either the 4400 (valve) system or the new 5100 system will have greater body and warmth - i am thinking of upgrading but only to get better sound and by this i mean more warmth and body.

thanks

d

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #2,350 of 3,322
The Stax tube amps do give a bit more warmth. If I were you, I would try to upgrade the amp to a SRM-T1, SRM-006t(II/S) or SRM-007t(II) and try your 202 on that first, before going for a complete new system. The 202 is actually very good, and it did sound very good out of a SRM-T1 when I had that combo. There 's no need to upgrade the 202 too, at least until you've tried it with a different amp. I remember when I switched from the SRM-T1 to the solid state SRM-717 that I found it an improvement for my SR-007, but slightly preferred the 202 out of the SRM-T1.
Whichever Stax amp you choose, you will certainly get a more dynamic sound with more headroom than with the SRM-212 / SRM-252.

I haven't heard the SRM-323 or 353X, so I can't recommend them, and from what I've read you should be looking into the tube amps first if it's warmth you're after.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #2,352 of 3,322
Oooh daaaang. CanJam at RMAF this year is going to be insane for e-stat peoples.

Sonoma is having their first e-stat headphone to demo

MrSpeakers is having his Ether ES near production unit to demo on the Liquid Lighting 2T

iFi Audio is having their new e-stat amp there and they're working on a mini-version too
[COLOR=333333]That "small" electrostats ready project from our skunkworks directly? Finally it's here. Well... almost. You know the drill - teasers first, details later on. Bear with us, please [/COLOR]
color]

[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=417394]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Enjoy![/COLOR]

I'll be bringing the SRS-2170 with me because of all of this e-stat madness.

Audio Precision is also doing measurements of gear. I was going to visit their booth anyway to ask them about stuff, but now that they're offering measurements I might ask to get my gear measured [again].

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #2,353 of 3,322
Can't believe I only just found this thread.
Probably safer I hang here than the other one where $2500 for an amp is small change...

I've started on my STAX journey, but not very well.

Bought an amp (SR1-MKII) from America (ebay) and some 404SE's from Germany (on here) and one (or both?) have a problem.

Nearly $900 (AU) and all I have is one good channel and static in the other ear.

Currently trying to find someone to let me try my gear with their gear so I can troubleshoot - the tech says my amp is fine - although my multimeter says it possibly isn't...

One of the drawbacks of living in a smaller state I guess.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #2,354 of 3,322
Originally Posted by Spork67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one good channel and static in the other ear.

If you're getting only static and no music then 90% chance the problem is the board for that channel in the amp. It's a balanced setup, so the PSU is fine and one channel is fine.

You have a multimeter. Check the balance and offset for the bad channel. Easy to do from the headphone plug at the front. Balance is measured by checking the DC voltage between the + and - of the same channel. Offset is by checking the voltage of + to ground. Balance way away from zero or offset values way off the normal should tell you if something is blown. There should be a labeled pot on the board to adjust each. Odds are the problem is a short, a leaky resistor, bad pot, or blown transistor. Check for the usual scorch and if it's nothing obvious, then start pulling and testing parts.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,355 of 3,322
Oooh daaaang. CanJam at RMAF this year is going to be insane for e-stat peoples.

Sonoma is having their first e-stat headphone to demo

MrSpeakers is having his Ether ES near production unit to demo on the Liquid Lighting 2T

iFi Audio is having their new e-stat amp there and they're working on a mini-version too
I'll be bringing the SRS-2170 with me because of all of this e-stat madness.

Audio Precision is also doing measurements of gear. I was going to visit their booth anyway to ask them about stuff, but now that they're offering measurements I might ask to get my gear measured [again].

oooooooooooh! I actually watched a review of that iFi amp (though without electrostat capability) on YouTube just last week! That thing should be a beast, and with the (hopefully added) ability to drive Stax........damn near perfect.

But *shudder* expensive! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back