The Effect of Various Cables on the Audio-GD Reference One
Aug 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
It appears that some owners believe cabling makes a big difference with this piece of equipment. I start this thread to encourage the posting of such observations here.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 9
I responded in another thread, and i am with you on this. I do not believe that the cables or cords make such a drastic difference. It would be an upgrade, but not to a point where it's a night and day difference.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, I am a cable believer myself, but I agree that it does not make a drastic difference in SQ. I personally believe from my experience that there is no substitute to hardware upgrade if you wish to go a step higher.

In my limited knowledge I have never heard a power cable change the tonality of any equipment, but it does brings in more clarity, improves soundstage and add some amount of clean dynamics. I personally believe that any power cable that changes the tonality maybe faulty as it is now supposed to do so, but only give cleaner current to the gear.

Although, I must add that interconnects does tend to bring about change in tonality (in this case I have played around with plenty).

Coming to Monkey's question in the REF1 thread about Kingwa's belief in power cords, its true he believes that a good quality cord does tend to bring out the best out his gears, it is like sqeezing out the last few ounce of goodness. But at the same time he also believes the best way to upgrade is the hardware way, which is why he personally uses the not so fancy cords he has made himself.

For example a DAC19 with cord costing a grand will never sound as good as REF1 with normal powercord that comes free with REF1 (both combination nearly costing the same) .. IMHO.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 9
While I am a cable agnostic, I do understand the desire (especially given the tendency toward OCD that we have in this hobby) to leave no stone unturned.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 9
I guess as long as one understands and respects the opposite persons view - its fine. Although when one invest much in cables there is the strong urge put across a good case and defend ones belief more firmly, which can lead to arguements.. anyways .. whatever..
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 9
Cables do make a difference but it doesn't worth it imo. I rather spend the money on better DAC/AMP. If I am a rich guy, I will spend the money on cable, to get the best sound from my DAC/AMP.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 9
One thing I noticed with cables (interconnects, speaker cable) is that the only real difference I can hear is between silver (slightly brighter) and copper (slightly less bright than silver). Beyond that, I don't really buy into it (increased soundstage and the like). And the differences I hear are less than 5% change.
If I can hear a difference with power cords, it's so slight that I consider it meaningless.
This is based on my use of a Ref-1, C-2C and FBI-500 amp.

Case in point, I needed a longer run of speaker cable and I was using DH Labs T-14 (they were too short). I switched to Monoprice 14ga wire and I hear no real difference.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 9
If I have a money to spend on the quality power cord, I'd spend on getting a good power conditioner first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back