The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Feb 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #541 of 803

To be honest, I believe ear pads have much more of a sound difference than replacing cables.

You mean they have, or they have not, a sound difference?

The sentence means:
Changing the ear pads has a much larger affect on the sound than changing cables.

Ear pads = big change in sound
Cables = little/no change in sound

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #542 of 803
  It is generally a good idea, when posting in this thread, informing of the dimensions of your earpads: outer and inner diameter, thickness, and how large is the sleeve on the back (the circle which goes in the slot of the drivers. It generally is between 0.5 and 1 cm all around).

So, I finally took them home and did some measuring.

Sleeve on the back is about 0.4 - 0.5cm all around, and ear pads are 10x11x2.7 cm (WxHxD).
The depth is similar to ones on my Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME, but the Sennheiser ones are extremely comfy, this ones just make my head hurt.

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #543 of 803
  So, I finally took them home and did some measuring.

Sleeve on the back is about 0.4 - 0.5cm all around, and ear pads are 10x11x2.7 cm (WxHxD).
The depth is similar to ones on my Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME, but the Sennheiser ones are extremely comfy, this ones just make my head hurt.

Seems to me like the Brainwavz HM5 should fit.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639510/the-ear-pads-thread/510#post_12243178

I suggest you buying all four versions (velour, leatherette, angled leatherette, and hybrid 3 materials) because they have slightly different measures and affect the sound differently, so I have no idea (nor can you without trying) which one would respect or compensate better the signature of your headphones. The dimensions are +or- those you gave.
You can order them either directly from MP4 Nation or from their offers in Amazon. Check both, sometimes prices are better in one or in the other place.
Either way you can return them if not pleased.

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #544 of 803
So basically you are telling me to buy 5 ear pads instead of one :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZGFVEUE/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MFDT894/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MFDX4YO/

Together it would be £80.20 which is 104.60€ which is more than I paid for ATH-T500...

Lets do some fact checking and try to narrow the list:
They're all smaller/narrower (W) than the original ear pads by 1 cm, except angled ones, which are 2 cm smaller.
So I can eliminate angled pads, which leaves us with 3 pads for £41.50 (54.10€), which is about 55% of what I paid for ATH-T500.

Ok, now we are stuck and I can't really pick any of them, so lets do some basic math:
With shipping it would be £47.06 (64,24€), which is actually about 65% of what I paid for the headphones...
I am willing to pay about 30-35€ with shipping, not much more, at least not for headphones I am using at work.

So, we have one mighty quest to pick one of the choices:
1) velour
2) leatherette
3) velour & leatherette
4) hybrid

Which one will it be? I have no bloody idea... At home I am using Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME, which are velour with open back and they are really comfy, but IDK what will velour do to the sound of ATH-T500.

Somebody, help? Thanks.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #545 of 803
  So basically you are telling me to buy 5 ear pads instead of one :D

You misunderstood.
I tell you to buy them all, yes, but just so that you can try them and choose the ONE pair which is more comfortable to you and sounds better with your headphones.
The other 4 (I did not see the angled velour, thanks for the info) you will send them back.
I did it. They are very serious and you will immediately receive your money back.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #546 of 803
Well, problem is, I am not from UK or USA, so shipping takes some time and I would also loose like 20€ just on shipping...
Taking all products to test them is good thing to do only when you are taking them from local store, not when its from other country, where shipping takes 8 days...

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #547 of 803
Got the Angled HM5s...and I'm not liking it on my X00s. Less impact than the non angled HM5s (which had less impact than the stock pads on my th-x00) but the treble is slightly more bearable...but still not as tame as the stock pads. I will be returning these....wish I could return my non angled HM5s but I completely ruined the lip since I jumped the gun on cutting them up to slide on and off more easily.

*sighs* I guess an earpad that does what the stock pads do in a more comfortable package just doesn't exist.

May 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #548 of 803
I'm not seeing anything in this thread about the MSR7.  

I bought a pair about 3 weeks ago and love the sound.  Unfortunately for me, my ears stick out really far, and the driver rubs on my anti-helix, which gets really uncomfortable after a while.  

So I'm looking for a set of replacement pads and as far as I can tell, my options are as follows:

1. HM5 pads (many varieties)
  2. ZMF pads (cow hide/lamb hide/pleather)
  3. Mr. Speakers Alpha pads
  4. Shure pads (various models)

From what I've read, nearly everyone who's tried the HM5 pads says they alter the sound very negatively, so even though they're cheap and I can return them to Amazon, it doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble.

The ZMF and Mr. Speakers options look like good quality, but I'm reading very different things about how the sound signature is altered.  Some say they give the HPs way more bass, others say they kill the bass b/c they are moving the drivers away from your head.  I really don't know what to think.  And to top if off, neither vendor allows returns on their replacement earpads, and they are $50-60 per set.  So I'm hesitant to try them just for kicks.

The Shure's look like my last option, and since they're available from Amazon I can at least return them.  However from a previous post in this thread, I think they're basically the same size as the ones that are currently on my MSR7s, which means they won't help get my ear off the driver unless the foam is a little bit more firm (so they compress less).

Help?

-Eric

May 18, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #549 of 803
I will often use a bit of closed-cell foam (found in packaging materials, for example) and make a 1/4" ring spacer for pads. I have done this for Shure pads and a bunch of others.

This will help space the pad further away from the driver, but might not eliminate touching entirely depending on your ear shape. At the very least it will minimize the pressure.

I think closed cell is better for this application because it doesn't get flattened and won't absorb sound, that way the sound signature stays the same.

May 18, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #550 of 803
Yea, right now I've got a couple of cotton balls shoved in the back of the cup attempting to do the same thing, but it's not super effective.  After a while it sort of smashes down again.

It did seem to make the bass stand out a little bit more though.

May 23, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #553 of 803
Hello everyone,

I have a pair of modified headphones with gel pads added (link), however in the last couple of months they have begun to loose their original shape.
Is there anything I can do to get them back to the original shape?

Thanks.

May 27, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #554 of 803
Strap the headfone withthe mangled gelpads over a rugbyball???

May 27, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #555 of 803
Afer two weeks with AKG K240 Studio, got tired of stock pleather pads.
As I assumed velour pads will limit bass on this headphones I went for those:
Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro pads:
https://www.amazon.de/Beyerdynamic-709417-Ohrpolster-Kopfh%C3%B6rer-schwarz/dp/B00DUE9M0M?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
They do increase distance slightly as now have to use bit more volume on the amp. 

installed:
http://i.imgur.com/q0Vf0u7.jpg

Difference in comfort is enormous. As they are really soft not like the stock stiff ones.
Will try some velour in the future, maybe hifiman ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back