The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #391 of 3,155
I'd like to hear more impressions with all-time great albums like DSOTM, Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper's, Kind of Blue, etc...if anybody can speak to this, I'd appreciate it.

I'm listening with Sgt. Peppers album now with my Roxanne. My previous experiences listening to the album always gives me a feeling that this is indeed recorded a very long time ago. i have the stereo master and normally you get the clear distinction/separation between the left and right channel which are unnatually wide. Using an iem just makes it worse.

But the precise imaging (in my perception) and clear, detailed presentation of DX90 combined with it's very quite (black/dark) background somehow mitigates this issue for me. Sure the soundstage is still huge and very deep but it just feels right. The bass just goes deep and tight. Not sure if it's just because of Roxanne (at flat bass) more than just the DX90.

The drums play on"Getting better" and "with a little help from my friends" is just amazing. It sounds like a lot of things going on but they are presented very clear and crisp. The sitar play on "Within you, without you" is also as clear and natural. (You can really appreciate George Harrison's genius here ) The 1st track "Sgt Pepper.." just have a very deep powerful bass which doesn't resemble anything from the 60's.

Overall, listening to the album makes me feel like I'm in a big room and sitting a few feet away while the Beatles are playing.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #393 of 3,155
No issues for me. One track ends and the next follows seamlessly. I don't perceive any gap or cutting out of the last two seconds.

Mambosenior said:
 So: gapless or gapless "with issues?"

Have the sucker in my Amazon cart but the above is important for me.

Thank you.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #394 of 3,155
No issues for me. One track ends and the next follows seamlessly. I don't perceive any gap or cutting out of the last two seconds.

Is that by just listening or did you actually look at the track's progress bar on the screen and see it all the way through the end before it starts the next track?

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #395 of 3,155

I'd like to hear more impressions with all-time great albums like DSOTM, Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper's, Kind of Blue, etc...if anybody can speak to this, I'd appreciate it.

I'm listening with Sgt. Peppers album now with my Roxanne. My previous experiences listening to the album always gives me a feeling that this is indeed recorded a very long time ago. i have the stereo master and normally you get the clear distinction/separation between the left and right channel which are unnatually wide. Using an iem just makes it worse.

But the precise imaging (in my perception) and clear, detailed presentation of DX90 combined with it's very quite (black/dark) background somehow mitigates this issue for me. Sure the soundstage is still huge and very deep but it just feels right. The bass just goes deep and tight. Not sure if it's just because of Roxanne (at flat bass) more than just the DX90.

The drums play on"Getting better" and "with a little help from my friends" is just amazing. It sounds like a lot of things going on but they are presented very clear and crisp. The sitar play on "Within you, without you" is also as clear and natural. (You can really appreciate George Harrison's genius here ) The 1st track "Sgt Pepper.." just have a very deep powerful bass which doesn't resemble anything from the 60's.

Overall, listening to the album makes me feel like I'm in a big room and sitting a few feet away while the Beatles are playing.

Thanks - I guess I'm looking for a dap that will make it seem like I'm hearing my favorite music for the first time again, or at least in a way I haven't heard it before. Cheers and keep them coming if possible. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #396 of 3,155
Good question! Note that I pay attention the screen while listening, I do notice that the last seconds may suddenly disappear before the next track starts.

But, actual listening reveals that nothing is lost.

I would attribute it to a slight lag in perhaps responsiveness in the UI time counter, in that counter only starts moving a second or two after music starts. I also notice this lag in UI when I fast forward a track.

But overall, I don't mind it at all since actual music is not mysteriously removed.

Is that by just listening or did you actually look at the track's progress bar on the screen and see it all the way through the end before it starts the next track?

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #397 of 3,155
Good question! Note that I pay attention the screen while listening, I do that the last seconds may suddenly disappear before the next track starts.

But, actual listening reveals that nothing is lost.

I would attribute it to a slight lag in perhaps responsiveness in the UI time counter, in that counter only starts moving a second or two after music starts. I also notice this lag in UI when I fast forward a track.

But overall, I don't mind it at all since actual music is not mysteriously removed.

Just as I thought ...

First of all, the issue is not noticeable for majority of the songs/albums, especially those that fades out or has silent passages at the end. If you try it with some albums like classical and live albums then the issue is noticeable and can be annoying.

If you have these albums try it for yourself and tell me if you don't notice the gap in between tracks.

Get a grip - Aerosmith
Core - Stone Temple Pilots
Abbey Road - The Beales

Also most of the classical albums have tracks that are gapless but since the end and start of each tracks are soft passages it's tolerable. But for the 3 albums I mentioned above it's annoying especially "Core".

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #398 of 3,155
"The Yes Album" & "Fragile" sound brilliant with this DAP - listen to "The Fish" and the bass will make you smile.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #399 of 3,155
@headwhacker, I don't have the albums you listed.  But I listened to Adele's live performance at Albert Hall: the tracks are continuous with clapping by the audience and I do not sense of any abrupt transition between tracks. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #400 of 3,155
Many of my albums are classical (operas, symphonies etc) where tracks lead into each other without gaps or silence, no problem at all. Likewise with live recordings with clapping etc. In between tracks. Files are all resolutions of flac from 16/44 to 24/96. I tried a few above 24/96 flacs and here I get a couple of clicks on track transition but I dont loose any music

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #401 of 3,155
Listening to some Pink Floyd, Pulse, great fun, imaging and depth, what dynamics! 

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #402 of 3,155
Dont know. Seems to happen to a few people. I have not experienced this, to me gapless works flawlessly

Does you track counter goes all the way to the end before strating the next track? This is not noticeable if the song fades out or has silent notes at the end.

But if you look at the counter it always cut the last 2 seconds.

I said earlier, mine appeared to have stopped cutting of last two seconds after removing any folder art and then deleting ibasso folders. Unfortunately, last three albums I have played still have counter showing cut.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #403 of 3,155
I also confirm as above, it is definately not a faulty counter reading. Some tracks, you most definitely hear a truncation.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #404 of 3,155
With regards to the truncated playback issue, didn't someone a few pages back manage to rectify this by trashing some database files (off player and off card)?

Personally I'll be very disappointed if gapless STILL hasn't been fixed on these iBasso players.
Might get a Sony instead...

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #405 of 3,155
After three days of listening..

The sound is getting better. i can see why many are raving about the clarity and details. i do hope the bass was a bit more thumping. even when playing with my Philips L1 and Marshall monitor, Shure 215 SE, the bass was not as good as my Note3 (poweramp).

Can future firmware 'change' the sound? will continuous play warm the SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back