The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #316 of 3,155
9018 32bit internal volume control is quite a bit better than the Windows mixer volume :p  

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #318 of 3,155
  The DX90 has a line out but the level is controlled by the volume. This seems strange. Usually the line out is fixed at maximum gain. The way it is right now it is basically just a second headphone jack. Does anyone know how to change it?

Maybe the headphone out is different than the line-out in the fact that it has analog stage to control the volume, whereas the line-out is controlling the DAC's voltage level output.  Just my speculation though.  If the device has two outputs, there must be a difference between the two, or maybe not.

So I'm guessing the line-out is skipping the circuit after the DAC, but can control the voltage out of the DAC.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #319 of 3,155
The only difference between any line out and headphone out is output impedance and current gain.  Line out stage always goes through the i/v, filter and voltage gain.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #320 of 3,155
  The only difference between any line out and headphone out is output impedance and current gain.  Line out stage always goes through the i/v, filter and voltage gain.

You know I actually had an imod(Apple ipod mod) Which is a mod you solder wire from output of the wolfson to the line out connector skipping everything after. It basically skips smd caps, and you add electrolytics for getting rid of DC offset at the end to connect to the amp.  And then there are is the headphone out..

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #321 of 3,155
Listening to the DX90 now to some Jimi Hendrix. Using of all phones my Zero Audio Doppios..The sonic production of Jimi Hendrix is so damn good using the DX90. This player so far can do no wrong..For guys that own more than a few phones. This is the player for you. My previous players all had a synergistic factor going on for it. For some of my phones to come correct it would either need a warm source, some need more of a neutral source, some need more power.. The DX90 can do it all and has the best mix of neutrality and technicality for all types of cans and earphones with a nice high level of sound quality.. Worth every penny and then some spent on the DX90..

If you guys are on the fence and think this thread is a bunch of Hype.. I can assure you.. I have never been this satisfied with a single source. It literally makes every single phone in my collection sing like nothing I have used before it.
Buy with confidence that your definitely getting your monies worth and much more. Bottom line the DX90 is insanely great.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #322 of 3,155
  Listening to the DX90 now to some Jimi Hendrix. Using of all phones My Zero Audio Doppios..The sonic production of Jimi Hendrix is so damn good using the DX90. This player so far can do no wrong..For guys that own more than a few phones. This is the player for you. My previous players all had a synergistic factor going on for it. For some of my phones to come correct it would either need a warm source, some need more of a neutral source, some need more power.. The DX90 can do it all and has the best mix of neutrality and technicality for all types of cans and earphones with a nice high level of sound quality.. Worth every penny and then some spent on the DX90..

If you guys are on the fence and think this thread is a bunch of Hype.. I can assure you.. I have never been this satisfied with a single source. It literally makes every single phone in my collection sing like nothing I have used before it.
Buy with confidence that your definitely getting your monies worth and much more. Bottom line the DX90 is insanely great.

Glad you like it. I think it's pretty amazing as well. Hell, a few people have stated that it sounds better than the AK120. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #323 of 3,155
  You know I actually had an imod(Apple ipod mod) Which is a mod you solder wire from output of the wolfson to the line out connector skipping everything after.

Less expensive dacs tend to be all in ones where the i/v, filter and voltage gain are all inside the chip.  So yes it is wired directly to the dac but the dac isn't just a dac.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #324 of 3,155
  Glad you like it. I think it's pretty amazing as well. Hell, a few people have stated that it sounds better than the AK120. 

I honestly think the DX90 will give people a run for their home systems let alone other daps. The sound I am sure owners will agree, is nothing short of remarkable.. 
Using my SRH1540. Just mind blowing the sound layering and space.. Just mind blowing.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #325 of 3,155
My first review for Head-Fi:

After several failed attempts to contact iBasso to locate my tracking information, I was very pleased to receive a DX90 before traveling this week.

I've been excited to listen to and review the new iBasso since it was announced last year. I was very interested to compare it to the new Fiio X5, which one of my associates received this past week. Both of these players had the potential to take reasonably affordable high resolution DAPs to the next level.

A little background: I've been an audiophile for most of my 46 years, with a home system built around a pair of large Quad electrostatic speakers. I listen primarily to jazz and pop, and value equipment which provides real intimacy and insight into recordings. I began taking headphone listening more seriously when I had my first child thirteen years ago, when late night listening sessions became a problem.

I've listened to many headphone/amp combinations over the years, and have settled on two headphones which satisfy enough of my critical criteria to turn auditions into actual purchases. My headphones needed to meet my critical listening needs with regards to imaging, soundstage, resolution, and low level inner detail- but for my needs I require closed back headphones as 1) I don't feel right keeping my wife awake all night when I listen in bed and 2) I do a lot of writing in public places so noise leaking in both directions would significantly diminish my listening enjoyment, and probably annoy those around me. I know that closed back cans bring a few compromises, so I've settled on the two sets of headphones which give me the most bang for my buck, and the least amount of perceived compromises. My first set is a custom set of Westone 3 armature IEMs made for me by an audiologist friend of mine. The second set are the controversial Beyerdynamic T5p's- which I will discuss further in a minute.

My most recent playback rig included an iPad loaded with AmpliFLAC connected to a Fostex HP-P1- a combination itself a compromise as FLAC files played back on an iPad, while better than any other file format you can play on the device, were all digitally 'dumbed down' by the digital output of the lightning connector. That being said, it was the most convenient high end option for the iPad, and has given me tremendous enjoyment for the past two years.

I am happy to report that I feel very good about replacing the HP-P1 with the iBasso DX90.

Some listening observations I've made over the past several days, with some comparisons to the X5 for good measure.

Bass: The DX90 has very well defined bass, with just enough punch to not be overwhelming. It's ability to reproduce complex baselines without getting bogged down and congested is reminiscent of much, much more expensive digital gear. There is good separation between notes played on the double bass and the sound of a kick drum- which are often muddied together on inferior gear. Very impressive.

Midrange: The midrange has good resolution, without the artificial boost so many devices rely on in an effort to make them sound more lively. The best word I can use to describe the midrange is 'neutral'. Vocals come through with natural timber, and on better recordings you can hear a richness missing in many DAPs. Ella Fitzgerald's take on 'Signing Off' from her album 'Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!' has never sounded better to my ears on any portable device. By comparison the X5 has a more 'in your face' midrange presentation, which while more exciting at first listen, can become fatiguing over extended sessions. Through the X5, vocals can sound glarey and over pronounced- which some people find preferable- but it's not natural.

Treble: This is the one area where the DX90 truly excels. The treble is extended without being harsh. The decay of cymbals is natural and clear. The attack of plucked guitar strings and and drums/cymbals sounds as it should- fast and well resolved . Interestingly, this is one area where the DX90 and X5 sound remarkably similar.

The areas where this player really stand out are in the areas of resolution of inner detail and soundstage- which typically go hand in hand. The DX90 punches way out of its class, and bests even the far more expensive AK120in this area.

Earlier I mentioned the Beyerdynamic T5p's- one of the things which make them controversial is that they sound very differently with different rigs, and some amplifiers make them almost unlistenable. With the DX90 they sound glorious- having almost the clarity, resolution, and dynamics of the Beyerdynamic T1- itself a reference level product. This is an incredible match, negating any need for a external amplifier, and making my portable rig all the more portable. As for the Westones- this player is optimally suited for IEMs- the DX90 having sufficient power to drive them to dangerous volume levels.

All in all, the new iBasso is a remarkable player- besting several devices much more expensive than itself. I like it much more than the X5 (I preordered both- so the X5 will be going back.) In some ways, it beats iBasso's more expensive brother, the DX100-sacrificing a little maximum power output for better low level detail and 'blacker' background. I've never heard the previous DX50- but by all accounts, the 90 is far superior.

Much like the OPPO 105 player (which actually has a very similar sonic signature to this portable player which makes some sense when you understand the basic design principles behind both of them), the DX90 should be regarded as an incredible bargain- offering a real taste of high end sound for a little more money than an iPod.

Now who wants to buy my HP-P1??

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #326 of 3,155
Great review theosteopath..  

So I got almost exactly 8 hours of use out of the stock battery today using the player non stop. Hoping the new battery I got today will last 4 hours longer. Fingers crossed.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #327 of 3,155
nice read... now i am on my third run of the battery since yesterday..

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #328 of 3,155
Earlier I mentioned the Beyerdynamic T5p's- one of the things which make them controversial is that they sound very differently with different rigs, and some amplifiers make them almost unlistenable. With the DX90 they sound glorious- having almost the clarity, resolution, and dynamics of the Beyerdynamic T1- itself a reference level product. This is an incredible match, negating any need for a external amplifier, and making my portable rig all the more portable. As for the Westones- this player is optimally suited for IEMs- the DX90 having sufficient power to drive them to dangerous volume levels.

I plug in my Beyerdynamic T1 directly to the DX90's HO and I can say DX90 can drive T1 good enough. At high gain volume at 240 - 250 for most music I play and they are very loud. But for some songs which has higher dynamic range I have to crank in all the way up to 255. It's loud enough but not ear splitting levels.

I was looking for any hint of clipping nor distortion. So far I can't find any song that sounds distorted nor is clipped. Some rock songs has intended distortion added to the record and I compare it to my M8 and they sound the same so I suppose it's not actually distorting on DX90.

I guess the amp in the DX90 is the borderline minimum for driving T1 which is amazing. DX90 is truly a good value of a DAP.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #330 of 3,155
Well I don't know if it's good enough for you, my SE535 (well known for being bright and they surely do) now sings on the DX90 and jazz on it is just unbelievable, I keep looking around to see if there isn't a sax player hiding in the corner of my room, let's say the separation is insane. I won't even touch vocals and instruments on it, you have to listen to it to believe it. :)

Thanks for your review. Can't wait to try mine when it arrives :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back