The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #76 of 3,155
  This is the comparison I've been waiting for.

popcorn.gif

+ 1

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #77 of 3,155
Oops, just seen should have posted first impressions here so will repeat, will post further thoughts in this thread.

Arrived 45 minutes ago, no way could use burn-in cable without listening! Seems quite light compared to my X5, my only DAP to compare with. Easy to use in 5 minutes although less options and settings maybe than X5.

Very early sound impressions, and only playing hi-res music that had for a week, an airier and lighter tone. Maybe not massive change but I keep turning the volume up! Last time I felt like that was when I added a Rega DAC to my streamer and it added a more open organic sound.

Playing a few old albums from Dire Straits and Cream, I am much more aware of the analogue hiss from their recordings which suggests an extended treble which will be nice.

As I type ..... it really does boogie
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #78 of 3,155
  Oops, just seen should have posted first impressions here so will repeat, will post further thoughts in this thread.

Arrived 45 minutes ago, no way could use burn-in cable without listening! Seems quite light compared to my X5, my only DAP to compare with. Easy to use in 5 minutes although less options and settings maybe than X5.

Very early sound impressions, and only playing hi-res music that had for a week, an airier and lighter tone. Maybe not massive change but I keep turning the volume up! Last time I felt like that was when I added a Rega DAC to my streamer and it added a more open organic sound.

Playing a few old albums from Dire Straits and Cream, I am much more aware of the analogue hiss from their recordings which suggests an extended treble which will be nice.

As I type ..... it really does boogie
biggrin.gif

Can u give us more detail. X5 vs Dx90 is a hot fight 
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #79 of 3,155
Can u give us more detail. X5 vs Dx90 is a hot fight :bigsmile_face: :bigsmile_face:  

I'll try when I have had a further listen to more familiar tracks. I'm not the best person to compare because I'm more suited to record decks and CD players, only in last month after hearing a fellow forum members ZX1 did I realise there was this personal listening world of quality gear I had been missing.

So far Head-fi has cost me some Westone W40s, an X5 and DX90 in four weeks. It's an addictive place!

I would say the X5 feels better built, might be the weight, but the DX90 had a slightly more open sound with extended treble. Both have me smiling as I revisit music long forgotten but now available again in hires from SACD or reissues. I'm not sure if these hires are better, through my hifi they do sound more spacious and 'wider'.

Both these DAPS continue that theme and don't seem behind the ZX1 I heard with JH16s and Heir 4s which is much more expensive gear.

I know this doesn't help between the two, but at the moment I'm so impressed with both. They are astounding Value considering the price. I truly feel sorry for those that believe lesser phones etc can match these units. Same with hifi, many are happy with less but I feel their hearing must he somewhat less just like I need glasses so sight is less than perfect.

Buy one or both if you can afford it.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #80 of 3,155

Wow it's a lot faster this time.  Local dealers in HK didn't get DX50 like after 4 or 6 weeks, this time the difference is just 5 days... should have opt for the HKD2900 offer than paying USD419 @ibasso!

I'm getting more and more impressed as I pair it with my different IEMs... JH13FP, TG334, 1PLUS2, ASG2, RE600, W4R, ER4S... all paired very good with DX90.  I'm having a hard time deciding on which one I'm bringing with me for my trip to Taipei tomorrow!  (well maybe W4R is out as it didn't bring anything unique that TG334 can't do) 

I am really interested in impressions with your JH13 as I have JH16FP that I am looking to pair with (Also have W4R in custom form that impressions would be nice for as well)

Thanks

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #81 of 3,155
Some strange hick ups with my DX 90. When I enter a microsd card it doesnt ask to scan it. At first he saw no music on it at all. So I did a factory reset and he finds the music. But when I switch between different micro sd's  he has lost all of the content again. I have to do a factory reset every time. I also use a sd to microsd card.. He can't find it at all, even after a factory reset. Any suggestions from other beta pigs? 

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #82 of 3,155
Some strange hick ups with my DX 90. When I enter a microsd card it doesnt ask to scan it. At first he saw no music on it at all. So I did a factory reset and he finds the music. But when I switch between different micro sd's  he has lost all of the content again. I have to do a factory reset every time. I also use a sd to microsd card.. He can't find it at all, even after a factory reset. Any suggestions from other beta pigs? 

Dafos58 are you sure of the quality of your microSD cards? Have you used them without problems in other machines/computers? There have been reports that SD Cards/ micro SD cards are not always what their labels say they are i.e. there could be forged, faulty cards for sale.

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #86 of 3,155

So far the DX90 is a match made in heaven with my JH13s :wink:

I love my JH16FP's - but I have been listening to them through my HO on my iMac, my iPhone 5 & my iPod Classic - I know I am not getting all I could get out of them.... The DX90 promises to drive these properly - thank you for the confirmation!

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #87 of 3,155
No hickups on my DX 90. Inserted a fully loaded exfat formatted SanDisk 64 Ultra and was asked whether to scan or browse my files. To those who encounter problems: try to reformat your SD card with the official SD Formatter v4 software.

Besides that the iBasso seems to be fantastic soundwise. Listening with my HD 600 on LO gain as I write. Loud enough around 225 already. Without any burn in, out of the box the sound is - .... just right to my ears. Pure musicality, refined yet with a lot of punch and control. A brilliant beast, better than expected. No comparison to the combo I have used to date being a Galaxy Note 3 with a Fiio E18.

The DX 90 will definitely make me go downstairs and grab my old Meier Headamp 2 which layed unused in some of those boxes in the cellar for years. Curious to find out if and what it might add...

She's gone, Hall & Oates. What a pleasure! Avatism and Detroit Swindle shine in electronic clarity, the Stones Gimme Shelter as 24/88 and Bowie Heroes reveal lots of details without sounding thin or boring. Sleaford Mods (as MP3) rock as they should (though no reference soundwise :wink:

Downsides I encountered in my first two hours:

1. when connected to the PC via USB one cannot listen to music.
2. A few folders show up after scanning but do not seem to be selectable (will have to recheck whether corrupted files may be the reason or some bug in the firmware)

Note 3 tapatalking....

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #88 of 3,155
She's gone, Hall & Oates. What a pleasure! Avatism and Detroit Swindle shine in electronic clarity, the Stones Gimme Shelter as 24/88 and Bowie Heroes reveal lots of details without sounding thin or boring. Sleaford Mods (as MP3) rock as they should (though no reference soundwise :wink:

If you're listening to the Stones, you really need to try 'Wild Horses' from the 'Stripped' album. Sounds fantastic on the right gear.

I'm really pleased to hear that the DX90 will read an exFAT formatted card without needing a reformat to FAT32.

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #89 of 3,155
3. Longer file names are 'lost' and not shown rolling over the screen.

4. The USB connector in the player is a bit fiddly / not connecting as smooth as expected.

tbc...

Note 3 tapatalking....

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #90 of 3,155
Long file names and titles etc. Dont scroll but you can drag them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back