The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jun 7, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,291 of 3,155
I haven't been to this forum in a while. I own a D4 and D6 (just got a new lithium from iBasso for the D6). 

Frankly, i'm not convinced it's possible to get better sound than with a D6 and AKG 701's (with iStuff). But iBasso is getting me a bit interested with this.
Kudos to them.

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #1,292 of 3,155
  I feel the same about the DX90 having a more even perspective, I feel the highs are slightly rolled off with the X5's HO and midbass emphasis as well as .  This is probably why I find the SE846 with the silver cable really shines. Since the 846 has a lot of subbass to begin with, the silver cable helps firm up the bass and add a little sparkle up top while the X5's mid bass warmth make it a great combo imo.   Also I find the X5LO>Pico Slim adds to either my W40 or SE-846.  

To me the DX90 has an airier, more open presentation which I find really enjoyable for detailed listening. 

It's not like they don't both have flat frequency response. It will be more about some very subtle ring or being less damped at those ranges. Sort of more energetic as opposed to response aberrations. It's easier to just say everything flat sounds that way and remove the stress, lol. (Un)fortunately, ears are very sensitive things

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,293 of 3,155

It's not like they don't both have flat frequency response. It will be more about some very subtle ring or being less damped at those ranges. Sort of more energetic as opposed to response aberrations. It's easier to just say everything flat sounds that way and remove the stress, lol. (Un)fortunately, ears are very sensitive things

Can you expand on this?  I don't understand what this means.

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #1,295 of 3,155
That's good, I like to bring my honest impressions into this thread, good thing it's not an appreciation thread.  :wink:  The reviews I like best are the ones with cons in it.  Didn't see that, with jamato's review.  Anyway, all my impressoins line's up with joker, AJ, and etc.. basically the most prolific reviewers, but for some reason not with the DX90..  Anyway, I stop following reviewers once I find out my impressions does not line up with theirs.  Anyway, DX90 is a return.  I was hoping for it to be my liking, but unfortunately it didn't.

I am glad that u r honest but I just think that u don't know what good sound is. Everyone has different tastes and that is just fine but to say that the ipod are just as good as the DX90 sounds completely ridiculous !
The DX90 for the price , nothing comes close to its sound quality.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,297 of 3,155
@RuRu Thanks for the link, impressive review 
eek.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #1,298 of 3,155
I am glad that u r honest but I just think that u don't know what good sound is. Everyone has different tastes and that is just fine but to say that the ipod are just as good as the DX90 sounds completely ridiculous !
The DX90 for the price , nothing comes close to its sound quality.

No, not really.  I betcha that as long as you are using a headphone that both DAPs can play without any problems, most people wouldnt be able to tell the difference between an iPod and a DX90 in a level-matched double-blind test.  

I know it is fashionable here to assume that just b/c one unit is marketed as an audiophile DAP, it is going to have huge differences - but that is simply not true.  If you feel there is a difference, enjoy it - no one is arguing otherwise.  But please be aware of the margin of error in your perceptions.

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,299 of 3,155
If you like the measurements done with serious equipment, these guys seem to have done some pretty good job testing a DX90 with an AP system:

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/?p=807&preview=true

As well, there are some pics from inside that look cool.

In my opinion, I have owned both DX50 and DX90 and honestly the DX50 already sounds amazing as it is. The DX90 goes one step further and gives you a more open and rich sound and with good BA IEM the level of detail is as impressive as nothing I have heard before. You do get less battery lifetime if you push it hard though. The article above says that can drive things like HE500 thanks to the current output buffers that help driving low impedance and low sensitivity cans. I have not tried that yet but I will find someone or somewhere to get a pair of HE500 or even a LCD2 and give it a go. Any one has had the chance to try this combination?

I tried it with the LCD2 and DX90 drives it very well, do not own HE500 so can't comment on it

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #1,300 of 3,155

No, not really.  I betcha that as long as you are using a headphone that both DAPs can play without any problems, most people wouldnt be able to tell the difference between an iPod and a DX90 in a level-matched double-blind test.  

I know it is fashionable here to assume that just b/c one unit is marketed as an audiophile DAP, it is going to have huge differences - but that is simply not true.  If you feel there is a difference, enjoy it - no one is arguing otherwise.  But please be aware of the margin of error in your perceptions.

Despite everyone's perception of sound being different (ie. what is good and what is bad), I think if one cannot tell the sonic difference between an iPod and DX90 in a double-blind test, with lossless format and same headphones level-matched...
Then the person must have some sort of issue with their hearing, I mean quite literally.. the difference in sound is just day and night!!

Just my 2 cents..

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,301 of 3,155
I wrote this in another forum section, this would help for perspective if all sound the same.  I stated DX90 is not measurably better than iphone, but never said it sounds the same as I don't think it would.  Load testing with various load types are more telling than when they do for smartphone audio measurements of using only a reistor.

fr.png

fr.png

ct.png

ct.png

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,302 of 3,155
Ah yes the old "night and day difference" from 2 DACs that reproduce the signal they are given with straight line accuracy. What are the night and day differences and have you really done a blind, level matched test? Why is it so hard to believe that a billion dollar company like apple can't possibly make a great sounding DAP?

I have not heard the huge differences you are talking about between an x3 and an apple. What does the dx90 do that an apple can't?

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,304 of 3,155
REviews of the DX90 please. If you have discussions that have been gone over and over and on other daps and measurements, please take them to the appropriate thread and not here. Thank you. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,305 of 3,155
  @RuRu Thanks for the link, impressive review 
eek.gif

Thanks Migou67! I asked on the forums to hpk team to translate it to English, so more audience can read and comment on it. It is very cool to see some real measurements outside the RMMA ones that lots of peope seem to refer to around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back