The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jun 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,216 of 3,155
goodvibes, from functionality/portability perspective my dx90 beats my imod with my big and heavy amp:D. If I'm using my imod with amp it is only at my desk in the office; on the go I'm using just Video (if I'm not using dx90 or Studio V:D).

However, from purely SQ perspective dx90 and my imod with my DIY amp are on pair (dx90 has a slightly different presentation and maybe has a tad blacker bacground, but on the other hand my imod has a tad more aggressivness/brightness (probably due to AD8620 opamp) to the sound which I prefer over dx90's more naturalness).

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #1,217 of 3,155
I can see that and would also like a slightly leaner DX90 but it clears out with time. It does surprise me and the better the source material, the less I feel that way. Also slightly warm isn't a bad thing on the go where bass is often masked by the environment. I think that if you use the 90 for a while, you may find fault with the Imod as well. I'll try a snappier solver cable at some point on my jh13s to make the package more to my personal preference. You're one of the few that described the X5 as I did.
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,218 of 3,155
  People think it's the O2 amp that is responsible for the overall sound.  I think it's a misconception, it's actually the ODAC.  I've fed the O2 many LOs and nothing matches the ODAC fed to O2.  I want a portable player that can match ODAC/O2 or do better.  ODAC is simple implemenation of ES9023 a cheap Sabre, but it sounds much better than what people would expect I think.

I primarily use (C)IEMs with all my sources.  I currently don't own cans besides a Lambda Pros currently.

Yeah, I need to test:
DX90 LO -> O2 -> BA4f
VS
audinst hud mx1 -> O2 -> BA4f

To see if it's the amp or the dac. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,219 of 3,155
So I decided to jump in with both feet.  It's hardly the kind of rig you guys (who all seem to be millionaires) roll with, but my DX90 and JVC HA-FXT90s will arrive at some point today.  Unfortunately I had to find out for the first time last night that the DX90 isn't compatible with either my wife's Mac or my 64-bit PC, so I'll have to pick up a USB MicroSD adapter to transfer music through.  All in all, though, I have really high expectations for this beast.

I'm thinking about leaving it playing overnight on the charger every night for the first few weeks, to break in both the headphones and the DAP.  Good idea? Bad idea?

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,220 of 3,155
  So I decided to jump in with both feet.  It's hardly the kind of rig you guys (who all seem to be millionaires) roll with, but my DX90 and JVC HA-FXT90s will arrive at some point today.  Unfortunately I had to find out for the first time last night that the DX90 isn't compatible with either my wife's Mac or my 64-bit PC, so I'll have to pick up a USB MicroSD adapter to transfer music through.  All in all, though, I have really high expectations for this beast.

I'm thinking about leaving it playing overnight on the charger every night for the first few weeks, to break in both the headphones and the DAP.  Good idea? Bad idea?

Personally I would just listen to the DAP the first moment it arrives :p

Appreciating the change in sound signature is part of the enjoyment IMO

Welcome to the DX90 crew :wink:

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #1,221 of 3,155
Oh, I didn't mean I wouldn't be listening to it when I got it.  I just meant that in addition to regular use I'd leave it overnight to open up a little—but I see your point.  Is the difference between the DX90 out of the box and fully broken in pretty significant?

And thanks for the welcome.  I'm glad to be here.  I doubt I'll ever have the money for one of the top-tier $1,200 DAPs, so this is likely as far as I'll be able to go for a very long time.  If I can only have one toy I figure it might as well be a good one.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #1,222 of 3,155

The DX90 is compatible with 64bit windows 7 for transferring files.  Just the usb dac driver hasn't been released for 64bit windows yet.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,223 of 3,155
Oh, I must have missed something.  That's fine with me as I'm not going to be much of an "advanced user."  I'll take it on the go, run the LO to my car audio system (Goodbye, iPod!), and listen to it in bed.  I wouldn't even know what to do with a DAC. >_>

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,224 of 3,155
  Oh, I must have missed something.  That's fine with me as I'm not going to be much of an "advanced user."  I'll take it on the go, run the LO to my car audio system (Goodbye, iPod!), and listen to it in bed.  I wouldn't even know what to do with a DAC. >_>

Just wait for it.. This hobby has successfully converted many people to the "advanced user" category in very little time.. 

and so had it taken a similar time frame to shrink their wallets 
biggrin.gif

(at least mine T_T)

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,225 of 3,155
This thread is absolutely massive, with lots of discussion about specific headphone/amp/DAP interactions and technical analyses of SQ that are above my pay grade.  If I wanted to learn about basic functionality; what the heck a DAC does, exactly, and how to use it; and other esoteric-yet-fun information, where would you recommend I look?

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #1,226 of 3,155
The DAC function is useful in couple of situations;

-To connect to your portable on the go using your PC as a source of music.

-To connect to your home computer which can also be wired (or wireless) to your music server of just your file server using an extensive library of music.

The latest feature for me is very attractive.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,227 of 3,155
The DAC function is useful in couple of situations;

-To connect to your portable on the go using your PC as a source of music.

-To connect to your home computer which can also be wired (or wireless) to your music server of just your file server using an extensive library of music.

The latest feature for me is very attractive.

I'm quite curious how the DX90s dac holds up to more expensive desktop grade DACs.
It certainly sounds slightly better than the audinst hud-mx1. And as a DAP it's not even that much more expensive...

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,228 of 3,155
Guys, what is the odd cable with a 3.5mm plug on one side and a small rubber block on the other?  I checked iBasso's site and it says it comes with a "burn-in cable," but I have no idea what it's for.  I Googled the term and all I found were people talking about cable burn-in and burning in headphones.  I'm pretty sure those are different things.

Please forgive my ignorance.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #1,229 of 3,155
  Guys, what is the odd cable with a 3.5mm plug on one side and a small rubber block on the other?  I checked iBasso's site and it says it comes with a "burn-in cable," but I have no idea what it's for.  I Googled the term and all I found were people talking about cable burn-in and burning in headphones.  I'm pretty sure those are different things.

Please forgive my ignorance.

Many people believe that the electronics in headphones, amps, etc. improve sonically if they are run for a long time. Rather than plugging your headphones into the DX90, for burn-in purposes, you can just plug in the burn-in cable. You can have the unit "burning in" overnight, for example, when you are not actually listening to music on the DX90.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,230 of 3,155
  To me it doesn't sound dark.  It doesn't have sparkle or tinny or forward treble the DX90 has.  That doesn't mean there is no details because of the lack of forwardness, but details show since the bass doesn't over take it or it seems neutral for the most part.  I found DX90 mids to be not that clear, possibly because treble and bass stood out.  

My ears can hear details with 650 and TG334 which people think are dark.  Moment of truth will come when my NT6 arrives, the judge.  
biggrin.gif

My NT6pro likes to pair with my X5 much more than my DX90. The X5's black background, forward presentation, and extra power play into the NT6pro's extension, dynamics, and clarity extremely well. The textures from the pairing are very rich sending shivers down my spin. The DX90 just cannot drive the NT6pro as well even though it sounds great when not in direct comparison. The X5 paired with the NT6pro actually sounds better than my desktop setup which has not happened until now.

The X5 and DX90 are both excellent DAPs, but neither are going to blow you away until paired correctly with the right headphone and right quality of music. I find the music to be the biggest bottleneck to audiophile sound quality, but with the right music and the right headphone, I think you will have trouble using anything less than ether of these DAPs as you will become spoiled very quickly. My NT6pro and LCD2s really show off what these DAPs can do while playing the songs on my short list of favorite audiophile quality songs. However, poor quality music or lessor headphones such as my HD595, Monster Coppers, and TF10s really hold down both DAPs making them sound more......ordinary. 

BTW, poor quality music is more about the mastering than the file format for me. I have MP3s that sound better than some 24/96 high definition files. However, if those MP3 were available in the HD format, I would upgrade them knowing that I am losing part of the file information with losey files. When you hear a good song/mastering you just know it, it just pulls you in emotionally with its magical powers regardless of file format. Those are the songs that make these DAPs with the right HP pairing sound extraordinary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back