The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 7, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #796 of 3,155
You are not wrong. The hype and hyperbole is crazy on head-fi. The key to this place is learning to find the posters you can trust, appreciating the balanced opinions and discarding the others, and remembering that just as one person's trash is another's treasure, one person's hype is another's happiness.

May 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #798 of 3,155
I also tried my apple charger and some old usb wall charger trying to hunt for noise at the same volume level reported and I can't here any noise. The music plays very soft anyway at 160 for me that if there is noise it would not matter. for my ciems my volume range has always been 200 - 220 and 230 - 245 for full-size headphones. At 160 I think you guys have a very sensitive hearing or ultra sensitive phone. Or I am just going deaf.
tongue_smile.gif

May 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #799 of 3,155
I dont get any noise what so ever in any situation with any of my phones using an iPhone charger or the charger from my Kindle

May 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #800 of 3,155
I was getting some noise with music as it was playing and a more quiet passage would come along and the noise would fade as the passage continued. This was with my JH13's. I listened trying to figure out if it was something in the DX90 or the music. I then listened to some other music that had the same type of passages, higher volume to lower and more quiet passages. It wasn't there. What I was hearing was digital artifacts on the recording. I heard this on a very highly resolving home system I used to have but hadn't heard it for a long time. So for good or bad, the DX90 is resolving this, which goes more to the S/N ratio IMO. I guess I could compare the same music A/Bing the Hugo and the DX90 but can't remember what music I was playing. The point being that to my ears, the noise was a digital artifact that I have heard on highly resolving systems. If someone hears a constant noise, I would say that is something else. 

My impression is that the DX90 resolves what goes into it and that the better the quality of the recording, the more of the music you will hear. Some of Bob Dylan's music is really enjoyable, especially the live recordings, of which, some are well done. 

I also do not hear any noise from using it plugged into a USB charger. I mostly use the Samsung charger that came with my S4 phone, which can output 2A. 

May 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #801 of 3,155
It is nice to know the noise issue I have is more an exception. Perhaps the IPAD 5V PS is just fine and there is another appliance in my home contaminating the power line.
beerchug.gif

May 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #803 of 3,155

Just to add another data point: I don't get any noise whatsoever on the dx90 with my most sensitive tg334 with ANY usb wall wart or cables I have (apple, samsung, cheapo chinese knockoff from shamshuipo market you name it)....  I've no beef in your digital...analog...early...late gain control whatsoever but I find it necessary to let people know this "noise" thing is not universal - as least my unit is not having any of that.

I repeat, no noise from any USB power for me, even from my PC with charging only (no data) cable. 
beerchug.gif

Nor mine and why I pointed at his supply. Insistence on poor design is what I thought improper. Another wall wart might be fine both functionally and sonically but it will likely sound better off it's own battery or a linear supply as does just about everything, well designed or not.

May 7, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #804 of 3,155
  jamato8, would you say that dx90 is in the same ballpark as dx100 and hm901 as far as iems is concerned?

To be honest, they are all different, as to be expected. But in general, yes. The DX90 is spacious, and convey the raw power of a recording and being such a small package and light, is a surprise to me as to what it is doing. 

May 7, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #807 of 3,155
  Thank you.If only ibasso makes a backplate to facilitate bigger batteries

I agree that iBasso should offer a bigger back cover. In fact, I've said it before, but I'm still surprised no 3rd-party company has bothered to create an aftermarket larger back cover for the DX50/DX90, since iBasso don't seem to want to. These days, there's thousands of cheap Chinese accessories for mobile phones, but nothing so far for the DX50/90. I realise it's a much smaller market, but it wouldn't cost much to create a simple back cover, so there is an opportunity there to make a few dollars.

May 7, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #808 of 3,155
Wow, I am using the JH13 Pros and having so many hours on the DX90, the sound has such impact, I don't think I have heard the 13's sound better, even out of the Hugo. Voice comes through with raw power. Enjoying the heck out of Greg Brown, "Down in There". Strong bass but not overpowering and it doesn't muddy the sound. Just the right amount of dynamics. Not so much that it hurts the ears, no treble spike, just control but musical. 

May 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #809 of 3,155
If anyone has tried the DX90 with UM Miracles, I'd love to hear your impressions - thanks.

May 8, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #810 of 3,155
One feature I would appreciate is the option to "Play Next" and "Add to End" which would add the track to whatever is currently playing. It's not as crucial on a small portable, but I use it a lot on iPeng and Foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back