The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jan 23, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #1,936 of 3,155
i have the 2.1.5 lurker FW and i have zero bugs , once i do a card scanning

coming from the Cowon J3 i ws afraid about the UI , but it seems fine without any problems

just my 2 cents.

The same for me (except for the gapless not working between the first 2 tracks played after power on), but depending on how you use it and what features you look for it might be less than optimal

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #1,938 of 3,155
Is there supposed to be some kind of click when the sd card is properly locked in? When I do it I'd say it just sits tighter and tighter. Also do you use some kind of tweezers to get it out again? I have to fiddle with it quite a while..

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #1,939 of 3,155

Go for the DX90 if you want better sound quality, it really is superb. The ZX1 has a better UI and build though. It's also a lot less of a buggy system. I sold my ZX1, and selling my P1 and more than happy to keep the DX90 just because the SQ is hands down awesome!

Thanks for your reply. In what way is the DX90 better than the ZX1 in sound? I really like the rich,warm, airy/open, detailed, lush sound of the F887. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #1,940 of 3,155
Is there supposed to be some kind of click when the sd card is properly locked in? When I do it I'd say it just sits tighter and tighter. Also do you use some kind of tweezers to get it out again? I have to fiddle with it quite a while..

The slot is spring loaded so there is a click when you push in a card and to get it out you just press on it and it pops out

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,941 of 3,155
Thanks, mine apparently don't work like that. And its completely new, using a Sandisk micro sd 128gb card. Bugger..

Edit: sure enough now it works! But yesterday it did'nt, tried many times, as I expected this to be the behaviour. Hope it'll keep like this. Thanks a lot nc8000

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #1,942 of 3,155

What bugs do you now experience? Have you updated to the latest FW?

Hi Paul, I'm using the latest Lurker FW. I had a lot of problems getting the music on. It took me a whole day of having to do it in little chunks onto the SD card as the scan would just hang otherwise. It scans and plays well now that they're all on though but just a right pain to get it done in the first place. I tried all the tricks that people mentioned here but it didn't work. One other annoying thing is that the player won't come on still every now and then unless I open the back up, take the battery out and put it in again (even if it had half a charge). I had a weird thing happen yesterday as well as a certain song playing wouldn't skip even though different songs were showing on screen. I had to restart a couple of times to get it working again. It's all worth the SQ to me though.

Thanks for your reply. In what way is the DX90 better than the ZX1 in sound? I really like the rich,warm, airy/open, detailed, lush sound of the F887. 

You're welcome. It's got a nice warm sound as opposed to the colder ZX1. The bass is tighter and has more body on the DX90, along with more refinement of detail. The treble sounds a little brittle on the ZX1 while it's smoother on the DX90. I was really surprised to hear how better it was to be honest, albeit to my ears. It's all about personal preference at the end of the day though.

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #1,943 of 3,155
  You're welcome. It's got a nice warm sound as opposed to the colder ZX1. The bass is tighter and has more body on the DX90, along with more refinement of detail. The treble sounds a little brittle on the ZX1 while it's smoother on the DX90. I was really surprised to hear how better it was to be honest, albeit to my ears. It's all about personal preference at the end of the day though.

Which one is more airy/open sounding and has more forward vocals and offer better clarity?

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,946 of 3,155
Hi guys, a bit of a boring question, does anyone have a case (soft or hard no particularly bothered) that fits a pair of customs + the DX90? The biggest pelican case I have fits the dx90 perfectly but it is not tall enough for a pair of customs in there too. I am trying to avoid carrying two boxes if I can.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,947 of 3,155

Hi Paul, I'm using the latest Lurker FW. I had a lot of problems getting the music on. It took me a whole day of having to do it in little chunks onto the SD card as the scan would just hang otherwise. It scans and plays well now that they're all on though but just a right pain to get it done in the first place. I tried all the tricks that people mentioned here but it didn't work. One other annoying thing is that the player won't come on still every now and then unless I open the back up, take the battery out and put it in again (even if it had half a charge). I had a weird thing happen yesterday as well as a certain song playing wouldn't skip even though different songs were showing on screen. I had to restart a couple of times to get it working again. It's all worth the SQ to me though.

I am discussing this with my engineer. I have tried the Lurker FW and have not experienced any problems using it. Did you try downloading the FW again, placing it on the DX90, doing the update and factory reset? Also try the stock FW for the DX90 please.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 24, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,948 of 3,155

just a hunch , feels like your sd card is the problematic thing here in the chain of things

cheers

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,949 of 3,155
Hi guys, a bit of a boring question, does anyone have a case (soft or hard no particularly bothered) that fits a pair of customs + the DX90? The biggest pelican case I have fits the dx90 perfectly but it is not tall enough for a pair of customs in there too. I am trying to avoid carrying two boxes if I can.

If you are in the USA than the closet Radio Shack has a bunch of nice cases for cheap!

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,950 of 3,155

Hey Paul, since you are a member of Ibasso , can you shed some light on what is the sonic differences between the 2 available digital filters ?

sharp roll off (does this)
slow roll off (does that)

Thanx 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back