The DIY Discman Repair Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #451 of 581
Hi all, last week I "found" my Sony D-303. Not used for years because of the skipping problem. No problems when tilted 45 degrees so I guess I need a new motor (RF-410CH). Does anybody know where to get one???

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #452 of 581
Hi all, last week I "found" my Sony D-303. Not used for years because of the skipping problem. No problems when tilted 45 degrees so I guess I need a new motor (RF-410CH). Does anybody know where to get one???

Have you tried adjusting and lubricating it/

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #454 of 581
Not yet. Any suggestions on what to use? The optical unit still works great after cleaning and fresh lubrication several years ago..

So it will play at an angle but not flat. Seems like you need to adjust one of the pots. I have don't this but it is hard to exlain. I do mark with a marker where the pot is set to and then adjust from there, knowing where to return to if needed. Often I have found on the 303 and 25 that is often is a lubrication problem for tracking, the gears and and friction surface. I use a light synthetic that also softens up the lube that is there. Very sparingly but has worked for a long time for me.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #455 of 581
So it is probably not the spindle motor? I will try to clean the tracking motor again (last time was probably 8 to 10 years ago :wink: ). I have the repair manual and will also look if the values are still correct for the pots.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #456 of 581
So it is probably not the spindle motor? I will try to clean the tracking motor again (last time was probably 8 to 10 years ago
wink.gif
). I have the repair manual and will also look if the values are still correct for the pots.

I had an image of the post to be adjusted. There is also some information here. I fixed my 303 about a month ago, for the 2nd time in 10 years and I thought I saved the image from a month ago but now I can't find it but there is more information here on Headfi. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #459 of 581
I recently sent a Sony Discman D-515 to Kaosun for repair.  The volume level on it was very low at max level.  I'm posting my experience here, because I know how difficult it is to find reliable and trusted sources for repairing these vintage players. 

I can say that I am extremely pleased and impressed with the service and results that Kaosun provided.  I would recommend contacting him if you have some of these older players and need someone who knows how to service them.  Thanks to Kaosun for restoring my D-515 back to its former glory.  :)

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #460 of 581
I got a old Panasonic SL-sw851c (apologies if not in everyone's taste around here haha, blame sentimental value.) pcdp recently and been having problems with the spindle.  The clips don't hold on to the CDs as tightly (age?) anymore such that that a tilt of more than 50-60degrees makes the cd wobble in rotation and player starts skipping until I lay to back down flat (<50deg).

Its not unusable but I have to be half cognizant about how its sitting in my coat pocket or backpack.

Any ideas? 

Thanks in adv!

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #461 of 581
I'm glad you're still in using vintage CD players! Your reading issue might caused by the clips. Traditional clips of Panasonic is designed like a button, you press the button, the clips will release the disc. So we can disassemble it so see if it can be repaired. Otherwise it shall be replaced. You can inspect it at first, if need nay assistance, pls let me know. yixingu76201@gmail.com 

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #463 of 581
  Hey guys, I have a Sony D-E999 in hand.
It's mostly reading burnt CDR but not all original discs.
ANyone know how it can be fixed?
Thanks.

Contact the person right above your post. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #464 of 581
Hello folks! :)
I received Sony D-211 Discman yesterday and it's not fully functional (of course, because I only paid 13€ for it including shipping). I already replaced five faulty capacitors but problem still remains. Focus lens is acting strange: when device is turned on, motor spins and focus goes up like it should BUT then it drops down and does same again. So it seems focus is working well when going up but when it should go softly down, it just drops. This might be very common fault with D-211 as my other one behaved exactly like this too. HOWEVER, sometimes it manages to focus and starts to play any track on CD, and after that it works very well, skipping tracks and playing is successful except on outer tracks of CD. In service mode focusing seems to work very well, softly like it does on any CD player. So there might be something wrong with playback routines.. I don't know.

I'm using 6V 1A power source so there should be plenty of power. But I must say, whenever I get this PCDP to play succesfully, sound is just FANTASTIC, so I'd really like to get this player to work properly.

Any help and thoughts would be Really appreciated. I believe there's not too many working D-211s around novadays, even now there's 4 D-211s on Ebay and not single one in fully working condition (sill in very high price...!).

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #465 of 581
Today I noticed optical pick-up ribbon cable is in a quite bad shape. It actually causes problem with outer tracks, focus system simply stops working when ribbon cable bents on outer position of pick-up. I actually tested it by lifting ribbon cable gently with small screwdriver to possibly short broken traces while player tried to read last track of cd, and yes it actually started to read and play succesfully. So it is definitely ribbon cable. It's also very possible that it also causes faulty focus action because those traces are actually going to focus and tracking coils. I could try to manually re-wire those four traces which probably is VERY hard procedure. OR more easier and working solution is to buy new laser pick-up assembly KSS-330A which is only 15€ from Ebay. I'm really surprised that those pick-up assemblys are still sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back