The discovery thread!
May 20, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #102,331 of 104,212
Absolutely correct...there are no absolutes regarding the aforementioned health benefits, the remit of tech companies is obvs just to shill & sell as many units as possible. Will the same companies (and the industry in general) ever invest in research that jeopardises markets ?? - methinks not. This combination of being surrounded by Wi-Fi, BT & numerous gadgets pumping out high levels of electromagnetic waves, must have some detrimental effect on our own bodily toroidal system(s)?...to think otherwise is naive at best.
Guess it's called "electro smog" in popular science and yes, to have no electo smog is preferable, but these times are over for good. To check all these possible health hazards, we have governmental organizations like the FCC.
Would I always trust them? Not necessarily, but it's still good to have such institutions.

May 20, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #102,332 of 104,212
Dang, In my D-fi review, I said it’s clearly better than the Tangzu Wan’er but I’m listening to it on my lunch break at work and I must say it’s still pretty dang good. Like I’m really enjoying them! THATS saying something about how much better the IEMs are getting compared to the 2010s when I started buying earbuds.

May 20, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #102,333 of 104,212
It's pretty impressive how terrific the treble details are on the Delci but it never feels overdone or harsh in basically any genre I've thrown at it.
Don’t tempt me lol. I was avoiding the Delci in my single DD quest because I think they look a bit boring but if I keep hearing how good they sound… nope. Stop it Joe. You already have lots of earbuds that sound AMAZING. Hahah

May 20, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #102,334 of 104,212
Guess it's called "electro smog" in popular science and yes, to have no electo smog is preferable, but these times are over for good. To check all these possible health hazards, we have governmental organizations like the FCC.
Would I always trust them? Not necessarily, but it's still good to have such institutions.
Distrust of these institutions is a given - any govt body that advocates ubiquitously installing 5G (which has a short wavelength akin to microwaves.) Promoting this under the guise of connectivity speeds is imo heinous - hence why I stick to 4G.

May 20, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #102,335 of 104,212
Don’t tempt me lol. I was avoiding the Delci in my single DD quest because I think they look a bit boring but if I keep hearing how good they sound… nope. Stop it Joe. You already have lots of earbuds that sound AMAZING. Hahah
Initially, I thought they'd be too far safe & refined - alas boring is the LAST adjective you'd use to describe them...as far as I'm concerned they're a revelation.

May 20, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #102,336 of 104,212
It's pretty impressive how terrific the treble details are on the Delci but it never feels overdone or harsh in basically any genre I've thrown at it.
D'accord - their pronounced mids are equally impressive, their presentation is different to anything I've heard, they're amazingly addictive fo sho !!

May 20, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #102,338 of 104,212
I humbly present to you another, yes another cable review! The OCC849 cable from Penon Audio!
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/pe...diophile-iem-cable.27241/reviews#review-33965
DSC_0041.jpegsw.jpeg

The above photograph goes far into relaying the fluid ergonomics of the OCC849. That really all of the Penon 849 family go far as to promote ease of use. Not too heavy or too low-weight. The 2Pins are all solid metal as is the CNC chin-cinch, and plugs.....each embellished with carbon fiber coating for resistance to fingerprints. The actual weave is a work of art, being the perfect balance of tightness and form, always staying in place, while keeping that effective Litz Configuration alive! If by chance you don’t use the chin-cinch, due to inner circumference it stays right in place, never needing to be fooled with.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #102,339 of 104,212
For those of you with multiple DAPS/players, where do you rank your gear? Here's mine, and I'm going for sheer enjoyment (sans any amp, as I think amps/dacs can sway rank and performance), and not necessarily in order of technical performance or overall audio quality, though that does factor in it.

1. Sony NW-WM1A (modded)
2. Sony A17
3. Sony A45 (modded)
4. iBasso DX170
5. Sony A306 (I really don't like the OS/interface, though the sound is top 2)
6. Sony A55 (modded)
7. Sansa Fuze (Rockbox'd)
8. Cowon Plenue J
9. Fiio XIII - 3
10. iPod Touch 7th Gen
11. iPod Classic
12. My personal iphone (12Pro)
1. Hiby R6 Pro II
2. Sony A17
5. Hiby R3 II
3. AK 120 II
4. Sony WM1A-M2
6. AK 100

May 20, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #102,340 of 104,212
Distrust of these institutions is a given - any govt body that advocates ubiquitously installing 5G (which has a short wavelength akin to microwaves.) Promoting this under the guise of connectivity speeds is imo heinous - hence why I stick to 4G.
In my profession, working in med-tech, I necessarily have to deal with the FCC personally. I see all their reports, their verification results in utmost detail, their documented scientific test setups in the many pictures the FCC sends us. To be totally honest here, what they do to test our implant systems (which feature wireless signaling and communication possibilities) is actually awesome.
Ok, there are occasionally some minor hiccups in some specific measurements where we, as a manufacturer, have our doubts, but the general test implementation and scientific approach of the FCC is, to my experience, nearly flawless, and I dare to say, it's overall trustworthy.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #102,341 of 104,212
Busy working on multiple reviews now, have the energy again after a long depressive winter in Norway.

First one out that I hope to finish in the next week is for a earbud from Venture Electronics, the VE SMG. Short for Venture Electronics Monk Slim Metal Gold, yup a lot better with SMG. Perhaps my new faovorite earbud, at least sits at top beside some other gems I have.

Having heard the flagships buds from the brand costing 2-4 times more, I'm impressed by how resolving and balanced sounding this one is.
For now its only for sVIP members, but I heard it will be open for the rest later this year.

As a lover of earbuds its absolutely worth the $250($200), specially when you also look at the build quality with the small gold plated metal shell.

Any other earbud enthusiasts here? I believe many would like earbuds if they gave it a try. Some really good gems out there these days.

Tasty! I must admit I am not a major fan of the Monk SPC and Zen LL anymore after getting the Yincrow RW2000 which does everything about 3 times better than either of those. That does not mean I'm not willing to try another (more expensive too) VE earbud offering.

Final Audio recommends spending a few days to get over the expectation of the old sound.

I think AB is helpful to exaggerate the difference. Case and point: pilgrim sounds downright mid- to low-res when AB against Anni 2023. Leave them alone a bit and come back, pilgrim sounds high res again just like Anni. I try to write impressions based on long term effect and rating (comparison against benchmarks) by AB.
AB is still the best we can do. Having no preconceived notions is quite frankly impossible (that's how our subjective minds operate) without a complete blind test meaning we'd know NOTHING about the product before testing it.

It's still hard to believe the Delci are priced as low as they are considering the sound and build quality. If these were $100-$125 I bet they would have got more recognition from the masses but because they're in that ~$50-60 range they get overlooked in favour of IEMs priced 2-3 times more.
I have to admit their price was indeed one of the things that initially turned me off since I automatically placed it behind some of the ~100€ single DDs I own or had tested before. Another turnoff was (and still is, to an extent) their meh look. But I'm starting to realize I much prefer a meh look with decent quality build and feel over a hella sexy looking piece of crap.

FiiO BTR7 no doubt, IMHO
I still have absolutely no complaints about my BTR7 after a year. Works like a charm, sounds respectably decent, and feels quality.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #102,342 of 104,212
In my profession, working in med-tech, I necessarily have to deal with the FCC personally. I see all their reports, their verification results in utmost detail, their documented scientific test setups in the many pictures the FCC sends us. To be totally honest here, what they do to test our implant systems (which feature wireless signaling and communication possibilities) is actually awesome.
Ok, there are occasionally some minor hiccups in some specific measurements where we, as a manufacturer, have our doubts, but the general test implementation and scientific approach of the FCC is, to my experience, nearly flawless, and I dare to say, it's overall trustworthy.
What kind of medical implants?? My point is there's invariably a covert remit or maybe hidden functionality behind the "face value" benefits, which are propagated with most technological advancements. For example, VR headsets & potential health hazards of having a BT device strapped on your head? Hence why I use my Quest 2 also sparingly.

May 20, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #102,343 of 104,212
Watercooler talking about AI, this thread talking about weirdo 5G conspiracies… time to log off and enjoy some music me thinks

May 20, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #102,344 of 104,212
1. Hiby R6 Pro II
2. Sony A17
5. Hiby R3 II
3. AK 120 II
4. Sony WM1A-M2
6. AK 100
That A17 is such an unsung hero. My portable buddy, but no slouch in technicalities. My old one died after 8 years in 2023, so I immediately went into the market and replaced it. Year 9 with one of these in my possession.

May 20, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #102,345 of 104,212
Tasty! I must admit I am not a major fan of the Monk SPC and Zen LL anymore after getting the Yincrow RW2000 which does everything about 3 times better than either of those. That does not mean I'm not willing to try another (more expensive too) VE earbud offering.

AB is still the best we can do. Having no preconceived notions is quite frankly impossible (that's how our subjective minds operate) without a complete blind test meaning we'd know NOTHING about the product before testing it.

I have to admit their price was indeed one of the things that initially turned me off since I automatically placed it behind some of the ~100€ single DDs I own or had tested before. Another turnoff was (and still is, to an extent) their meh look. But I'm starting to realize I much prefer a meh look with decent quality build and feel over a hella sexy looking piece of crap.

I still have absolutely no complaints about my BTR7 after a year. Works like a charm, sounds respectably decent, and feels quality.
Delci build quality is excellent & their fit next level - it all adds to your immersive enjoyment/experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back