The discovery thread!
May 20, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #102,301 of 104,203
I have numerous friends and family in the medical and scientific fields, and my background is in law, so I've read more precedent than I care to consider.

The frequencies emitted by these devices have no measurable effect on tissue. This isn't like putting a tiny microwave or radar station in your ear. Electrostats are not dangerous (and these are electrets, far weaker), it's very mature and well understood tech. Suggesting they are dangerous, without basis, is irresponsible. Your post amounts to scaremongering, nothing more, and I won't be addressing it further.
I was going to agree with you, and say thanks for the explanation, until you hung that ludicrous and fascist comment at the end there. Questioning the health effects of electronics is scaremongering and irresponsible? LOL Seriously? So you make a statement above as definitive, and then make a comment that questioning that statement is in fact irresponsible. Fascist attitude, and you are blocked. This conversation is OVER. You bet.

May 20, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #102,302 of 104,203
The mystery of EA1000 nozzles

EA1000_nozzles_graph.jpg

These are measurements from exactly the same volume output from the amplifier. As you can see, bass is exactly the same, and the red nozzle is the mildest one.

Here is the tricky part: the red nozzle is the one WITHOUT any foam or dampening material inside. You can see the difference reflected in the dB value heard by the microphone: red nozzle (least dampened) is the loudest, black nozzle (most dampended) in the most quiet. Yet, the red nozzle has the least upper midrange. Why dampening shifts the energy down to upper midrange region?

@DynamicEars any guess?

Look at this beauty

Explorer.jpg

No smoothening was applied on the graph. It's the RAW response from the microphone. Look how smooth it is!

(AFUL Explorer aka Performer3, btw)
I use the gold nozzle on my EA500LM. At first it gave me too much Moondrop Harman, but the other nozzle gave me just too much mid energy, so going back to the gold nozzle, and getting brain burn in, I enjoy it quite a bit.

May 20, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #102,303 of 104,203
Omg, the CCA Polaris is seriously good! The balance, the refinement, the spaciousness.. This is not a $20 IEM.
Especially up top. Dang addictive treble.

May 20, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #102,304 of 104,203
Simgot EM6L, Tangzu FUDU, or Kefine Delci? for a more pleasant, musical, that does not have sibilance in any song or genre
I have the EM6L and haven't heard the other 2 but based on discussions I've seen lately, I'd say the Delci is your best bet.

May 20, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #102,305 of 104,203
I could say the same for the Conch, the Orca, the ST7, the Krila, The Castor, the D-Fi… man, even the EDX Lite.

The fact is that considering the current state of the market, you could potentially limit yourself to the $20-30 bracket and still be completely satisfied by the experience offered by the vast majority of IEMs.

To better understand the magnitude of the improvements that IEMs (and audio gear more broadly) have undergone in recent years, I recommend finding some of your old earphones (even more expensive ones) and A/B testing them against one of the ultra-budget IEMs you’re currently using. It’s kind of eye-opening… and, as I mentioned, a great way to appreciate how far we’ve come.

Whenever I’m not impressed by my current setup (which is admittedly very rare), I like to dig out my trusty old SoundMagic E80 from the depths of oblivion, give it a try, feel severely underwhelmed by what I once considered “peak performance” back in the day, and then switch back to one of my current budget IEMs...

And suddenly, there it is—my TOTL (top-of-the-line)— my precious

gollum orca.jpg
I still have my E80 from when they first came out (I was an early adopter who got a little discount for review), and did just this recently. 100%. Just the field of depth and expansiveness of the stage are night and day, and we don't even need to get into the technicalities, and I rated the E80 very highly back in the day.

May 20, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #102,306 of 104,203
Nevertheless, whoever uses fearmongering within his/her arguments by referring to scientific articles or content, makes his/her points weaker because you count and rely on the reader's feelings. This you won't see in scientific articles, they stay objective and let the results talk for themselves... and whatever readers interpret into this is is not a science problem, it's a you (the reader) problem. And then going out and force your conclusions on others is, let's say, not very professional, it's rather an influencing personal opinion.

Let the people apply critical thinking themselves, don't force your opinion on anyone. Discuss (especially polarising) topics with interest, objectivity, and serenity. Be cool, be calm, and eventually prepare yourself to throw your previous opinions out of the window, because you might have learned something new in this process.

Whatever, just my 2¢

May 20, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #102,307 of 104,203
Here is my summary of the following video by Akros

CCA Polaris - A KZ D-fi in different clothes?

This is not my opinion, just summing up the video, so you can save some time :)

He is comparing following IEMs (in the same order of his review table):
KZ DQS - KZ ZVX - KZ D-FI - KZ Castor
CAA CRA - CAA CRA revised (2023) - CAA Lyra - CAA CXS

TLDR:
  • ZVX is better (to him) than the Polaris
  • choose Polaris if you want switches (for less bass sometimes), otherwise ZVX
  • CRA (original Version) is better than Polaris, but not available on market anymore
  • CRA 2023 version is worse than Polaris (this is NOT CRA+)
  • Castor is way better than all these IEMs, but it is a double DD
All IEMS are similar: V-shape with prominent bass

DQS
Thickest Sound
Overwelming Bass
only for specific genre, no allrounder

ZVX
his favourite of all the single DD IEMs here (exept Castor which is best but 2x DD)
Beste ear tips Letshuoer tips or some wide bore? youtu.be/i-EVOfrwLT4?t=211
Only wish: more extension abouf 10k
ZVX edges out Polaris slightly in the mids and upper mids. treble are better presented on ZVX

D-FI
Mid presentation amazing
Version with switches has a little bit less bass
therefore he recommends the no-switch version
ZVX does the bass better

(Castor)
Very good - better than any other IEM in this comparison
but it is a doube DD, so this is not a fair comparison

CRA
not available on market anymore, only revised version that is worse than Polaris
old and still very good, but cheaper shell than polaris
peak at 5k might be a problem for some
Tonality: everythin comes nice together: v-shpe fun and engaging sound
better than Polaris

CRA revised 2023. version (NOT CRA+)
CXS in a different shell
not as good (mojo) as original CRA
not as good as Polaris
more closed down mids than Polaris (Polaris is better here)

Lyra
same driver as CXS
shell looks cheap
bass a bit leaner than CXS
little more energy 4-6k

CXS
balances out some peaks of Lyra (4-6k)

Polaris / Comparison:
Polaris has same bass as ZVX, D-FI and CXS
the bass is a bit snappier on ZVX, D-FI and CXS than on Polaris
Polaris sounds better with KBear 07 Eartips: tightening up things, sound gets more open
Polaris has less extension past 10k than D-FI or Castor, but sufficient

He prefers the ZVX over the Polaris, but they are very close to each other
If you have ZVX or Polaris, you do not need the other one (not a real upgrade)
ZVX edges out Polaris slightly in the mids and upper mids. treble are better presented on ZVX
Choose ZVX over Polaris, if you do not need switches

D-FI vs. Polaris: no need to upgrade, keep the one of them that you already have

Polaris and CXS equal: no clear winner
Polaris better than current CRA (2023 version) and Lyra, DQS
ZVX and D-FI are a bit better than Polaris

Castor is the best of all these IEMs, but it is a 2x DD while all others are single DD

Again not my opinion, just summing up the video.
(If you found this usefull, please visit Akros channel and like or comment the video - He is Mr. Pokemon and already has them all :) )

Treble is better presented? I usually align pretty good with Akros, which is why I buy his recc's, but the Polaris is already an incredibly natural, even and extended treble (not strident), so how the heck can the ZVX be even better? Does it come off as TOTL/mid-fi level refinement, because even compared to the OD200, the Polaris has better treble in most metrics.

May 20, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #102,308 of 104,203
Some of the least new, and maybe not a new discovery? Hehe

Sony XBA-Z5 with Sony Hybrid Large Tips
Sony NW-WM1Z DIgital Audio Player (Japanese Tourist Edition)
Sony/Kimber Headphone cable MUC-M12SB1
2C7BDC82-63C2-42CC-82F6-2D181C9290AD.jpeg

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #102,309 of 104,203
I have the D-fi, and have the ZVX and Polaris both coming! Considering that I like the D-do better than the Wan’er that most people here seem to love, I have high hopes for the other single DDs I have coming, including the Conch
We're getting silly with the budget sets!! LOL Oh the hobby. Oh this hobby. :wink: Who cares?! Right?! Bring on the ear candies!

May 20, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #102,310 of 104,203
Some of the least new, and maybe not a new discovery? Hehe

Sony XBA-Z5 with Sony Hybrid Large Tips
Sony NW-WM1Z DIgital Audio Player (Japanese Tourist Edition)
Sony/Kimber Headphone cable MUC-M12SB1
2C7BDC82-63C2-42CC-82F6-2D181C9290AD.jpeg
<3 the Sony lovefest here. Though I didn't like those earphones, gotta still admire that setup. I'd be lost sonically without my Sony gear.

May 20, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #102,311 of 104,203
<3 the Sony lovefest here. Though I didn't like those earphones, gotta still admire that setup. I'd be lost sonically without my Sony gear.
Yes, the XBA-Z5 didn’t rub everyone the same way. I mean really the form factor is silly, having that driver angled like that. Then also it was a bass heavy IEM that resisted trying the add pace with wide-bore ear-tips. Where the narrow-bore Sony tips are in place for a reason. At the time of release Sony thought the bass heavy Z7 was also the street to drive down. Since then Sony has been driving towards a more balanced side of town. :)

May 20, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #102,313 of 104,203
I hope we get some DaVinci reviews up soon. Bass should be really good with the dual DDs and early impression comments, but I really want to hear how that treble extension is handled. Looks pretty good on the graph. Basically a Hype4 with a 6k dip and treble rolled off.
I'm super hyped for this one! My review unit is in transit but I doubt it'll be here by Friday. I will try to get some early impressions posted when I can.

May 20, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #102,315 of 104,203
Btw, can't remember who it was, but yesterday one of you mad lads mentioned the Juzear Flame being available on AE for a nice discount.
Curse/bless you as I ended up getting the last one in stock.
I love all of you, but my wallet does not.
Jk. Nothing but love!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back