The discovery thread!
May 20, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #102,256 of 104,212
The mystery of EA1000 nozzles

These are measurements from exactly the same volume output from the amplifier. As you can see, bass is exactly the same, and the red nozzle is the mildest one.

Here is the tricky part: the red nozzle is the one WITHOUT any foam or dampening material inside. You can see the difference reflected in the dB value heard by the microphone: red nozzle (least dampened) is the loudest, black nozzle (most dampended) in the most quiet. Yet, the red nozzle has the least upper midrange. Why dampening shifts the energy down to upper midrange region?

@DynamicEars any guess?

Look at this beauty

No smoothening was applied on the graph. It's the RAW response from the microphone. Look how smooth it is!

(AFUL Explorer aka Performer3, btw)
Intrresting graphs. I would suggest to look at nornalization first. If dB values are correct (and they should be) the non-normalized graph for the red nozle should be higher in magnitude/intensity. Software then likely normalizes all graphs by default to the same intensities at 1 kHz or lower.
As for the frequency shifts - oscillator dampening decreases its frequency, and it should be applicable to the standing sound waves in the coupler (enough of the older Phonophi, right?)
I have numerous friends and family in the medical and scientific fields, and my background is in law, so I've read more precedent than I care to consider.

The frequencies emitted by these devices have no measurable effect on tissue. This isn't like putting a tiny microwave or radar station in your ear. Electrostats are not dangerous (and these are electrets, far weaker), it's very mature and well understood tech. Suggesting they are dangerous, without basis, is irresponsible. Your post amounts to scaremongering, nothing more, and I won't be addressing it further.
Scaremongering is not right.
Bringing potential concerns should be right (and potentially helpful).
Bringing concerns about concerns should be similarly instructive.
Scaremongering efforts to shut down any potential concerns are not right as well (and perhaps the most to be concerned with, given the tendencies of the current "cancel culture").

I hope we all (here and elsewhere in life) can find a good balance in polite and respectful discussions.

I'll be pulling the trigger on the Hydro soon to compare how CCA manage to achieve a totl presentation/tonality - by implementing better BA's than the Rhapsody...
Aren't the BA drivers absolutely the same in Rhapsody and Hydro?
They are the same according to KZ description, just twice more drivers in Hydro. More drivers is better in several aspects: smoother, more details potentially without "artificial treble boosting", while less directly influencing tonality. The tonality here is largely determined by the DD-BA junction: frequencies and the relative intensities of the implemented crossover.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #102,258 of 104,212
Regarding this issue - BT earphones are definitely a proven health hazard....I guess that EST electromagnetics must be emanating a toroidal field, which in turn, no doubt interacts with the toroidal field produced by our pineal gland?? This crucial gland is comprised of piezo electric crystals. MF Trio are my only EST set - & luckily I don't use them often enough to be concerned.
It's not a bug, it's a feature! :joy:...

Since the influence of electromagnetic waves from telecommunications (phones or, as you said, BT headsets) on these calcite microcrystals in the pineal gland and possibly melatonin metabolism is not yet we'll understood, we jokingly just could assume that either BT headsets make you wanna sleep (increaseing melatonin release) or they just wake you up by reducing melatonin.
Interesting topic though.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #102,259 of 104,212
Can be that the metal mesh is different?

They look the same to me. Maybe there is another layer of nylon filter inside that I cannot see.

Intrresting graphs. I would suggest to look at nornalization first. If dB values are correct (and they should be) the non-normalized graph for the red nozle should be higher in magnitude/intensity. Software then likely normalizes all graphs by default to the same intensities at 1 kHz or lower.

The graphs are not re-aligned at all. I intentionally lock the amp volume to see exactly what the dampening does. Normalisation would give a more accurate picture of the audible effects of the tuning.

Anyhow, the nozzles sound exactly like they graph. The red nozzle (no dampening) is the mildest ones. The gold nozzle with a thick o-ring inside (a weird dampening technique) sounds too deadly for my taste.

May 20, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #102,260 of 104,212
It's not a bug, it's a feature! :joy:...

Since the influence of electromagnetic waves from telecommunications (phones or, as you said, BT headsets) on these calcite microcrystals in the pineal gland and possibly melatonin metabolism is not yet we'll understood, we jokingly just could assume that either BT headsets make you wanna sleep (increaseing melatonin release) or they just wake you up by reducing melatonin.
Interesting topic though.
Yes I concur: a fascinating debate, whether they'd ever publish empirical data regarding any detrimental affects (e.g. calcifying of the pineal gland etc) is highly improbable.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #102,261 of 104,212
Last night cancelled ST7 & tips combo order - in preference I've just ordered Hydro from HiFiGo - tbf they were the only set that could possibly get a rotational look in with the Delci & Rhapsody...so it's all good. Once I'd got used to the fit of the latter last week - & also considering how much better they sound post burn-in...Hydro are a no brainer !!

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #102,262 of 104,212
Howdy folks,

Simgot EA1000 review is online on head-fi and my blog.

I must admit I come into this review with very high expectation due to the reputation that preceeds EA1000. I’m glad go say that I was not disappointed. EA1000 is an accomplished DD-based IEM with a “special sauce”: the uncanny out-of-head imaging with many recordings, possibly thanks to the passive radiator. Beyond the sonic performance, EA1000 also scores high in terms of the accessories and overall packaging. In overall, it’s an impressive “mid-fi” IEM.

Should you get EA1000? As usual, it depends. You need to answer to yourself: how much do you like/dislike the tonal balance of Harman IE2019 target and the IEMs that are tuned closed to it? If that sound signature is your favourite or at least does make most of your music library sounds fatiguing and shrill, then EA1000 is a good option to consider. I also see this IEM as a perfect spot to pause on the gear upgrade “climbing.” Give it a good dongle, find the most suitable ear tips, change to a nice looking 4.4mm cable, and you perhaps you can stop thinking about upgrading gears for a while.

What I like about this IEM:

• Uncanny, out-of-head stereo imaging with the right tracks
  • Bass texture
  • Good instrument definition and separation
  • Great design, build quality, packaging
What could be improved:

• Small shell and short nozzle can create fit challenges
  • Harman-ish tonality can sound shrill and strident with some vocal
  • Tuning nozzles work but are not useful
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 4/5 - Great

Bias Score: 4/5 - I like this IEM!

EA1000_summary.jpg

Updated: May 18, 2024

May 20, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #102,263 of 104,212
Going with the Himalaya as my primary today.
More to come...

May 20, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #102,264 of 104,212
The mystery of EA1000 nozzles

These are measurements from exactly the same volume output from the amplifier. As you can see, bass is exactly the same, and the red nozzle is the mildest one.

Here is the tricky part: the red nozzle is the one WITHOUT any foam or dampening material inside. You can see the difference reflected in the dB value heard by the microphone: red nozzle (least dampened) is the loudest, black nozzle (most dampended) in the most quiet. Yet, the red nozzle has the least upper midrange. Why dampening shifts the energy down to upper midrange region?

@DynamicEars any guess?
The red nozzle still have thin nylon filter similar to the TRN conch or EA500LM, almost transparent but this kind of nylon have natural behavior to "shift" the pinna gain peaks to higher frequency a little bit, Its common when doing some mods, from the 3khz pinna gain, then I took out the filter, mostly have the real peak on 2.5khz

take a look at these examples :

KZ Krila Mods.jpg

See the pinna gain peak is slowly shifting to higher frequency from the RAW filterless, and the thicker nylon dampening, it will shift more to upper region.

Moondrop Kato Filterless.jpg

These are happen mostly with single DD , while planars, even dampened with those nylon filters, will stay on similar peak frequency region, or actually they are shifted too, but not as much as DDs.

KZ PR2 Mods.jpg

Timeless Mod.jpg

Multidriver with BAs also shifted little bit with nylon filters.

-nylon filters are affecting 2khz-8khz with most affected frequencies around 2-4khz region
-foam, depends on the density level, will affecting 2-15khz with different implementation result because of the "blockage". Blockage of the foam will affecting more on 2- 4khz frequencies can be vary depended on position and how much air flow, while the density and quantity of the foam affecting all from 2-15khz (with upper region 12khz above less affected)
-cotton, if placed as roll on side of the nozzle with big airflow hole in center, will affecting more on upper treble region. I hardly using this as it will kill upper extension which are usually already rolled of, except some IEM with harsh extension, then we can do something with cotton like PR3

Look at this beauty

No smoothening was applied on the graph. It's the RAW response from the microphone. Look how smooth it is!

(AFUL Explorer aka Performer3, btw)
and the result of the PR3 mod earlier this year before Explorer was born :

KZ PR3 Mod.jpg

I really like this mod, sort of giant killer with extra advantage from planar details

And the smoothness of Explorer maybe caused by knowles tube damper inside the individual tubes, just similar like in the Aful MagicOne, they implemented this as in kilobucks IEMs, like Mests for example

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #102,265 of 104,212
Omg, the CCA Polaris is seriously good! The balance, the refinement, the spaciousness.. This is not a $20 IEM.
I could say the same for the Conch, the Orca, the ST7, the Krila, The Castor, the D-Fi… man, even the EDX Lite.

The fact is that considering the current state of the market, you could potentially limit yourself to the $20-30 bracket and still be completely satisfied by the experience offered by the vast majority of IEMs.

To better understand the magnitude of the improvements that IEMs (and audio gear more broadly) have undergone in recent years, I recommend finding some of your old earphones (even more expensive ones) and A/B testing them against one of the ultra-budget IEMs you’re currently using. It’s kind of eye-opening… and, as I mentioned, a great way to appreciate how far we’ve come.

Whenever I’m not impressed by my current setup (which is admittedly very rare), I like to dig out my trusty old SoundMagic E80 from the depths of oblivion, give it a try, feel severely underwhelmed by what I once considered “peak performance” back in the day, and then switch back to one of my current budget IEMs...

And suddenly, there it is — my "TOTL"— my precious

gollum orca.jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #102,266 of 104,212
I could say the same for the Conch, the Orca, the ST7, the Krila, The Castor, the D-Fi… man, even the EDX Lite.

The fact is that considering the current state of the market, you could potentially limit yourself to the $20-30 bracket and still be completely satisfied by the experience offered by the vast majority of IEMs.

To better understand the magnitude of the improvements that IEMs (and audio gear more broadly) have undergone in recent years, I recommend finding some of your old earphones (even more expensive ones) and A/B testing them against one of the ultra-budget IEMs you’re currently using. It’s kind of eye-opening… and, as I mentioned, a great way to appreciate how far we’ve come.

Whenever I’m not impressed by my current setup (which is admittedly very rare), I like to dig out my trusty old Soundmagic E80 from the depths of oblivion, give it a try, feel severely underwhelmed by what I once considered “peak performance” back in the day, and then switch back to my current budget IEMs. And suddenly, there it is—my TOTL (top-of-the-line), my precious…

gollum orca.jpg
Lol very true. Alas there is a fault, thin treble, or at least that’s what I’m choosing to nitpick.

May 20, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #102,267 of 104,212
Here is my summary of the following video by Akros

CCA Polaris - A KZ D-fi in different clothes?

This is not my opinion, just summing up the video, so you can save some time :)

He is comparing following IEMs (in the same order of his review table):
KZ DQS - KZ ZVX - KZ D-FI - KZ Castor
CAA CRA - CAA CRA revised (2023) - CAA Lyra - CAA CXS

TLDR:
  • ZVX is better (to him) than the Polaris
  • choose Polaris if you want switches (for less bass sometimes), otherwise ZVX
  • CRA (original Version) is better than Polaris, but not available on market anymore
  • CRA 2023 version is worse than Polaris (this is NOT CRA+)
  • Castor is way better than all these IEMs, but it is a double DD
All IEMS are similar: V-shape with prominent bass

DQS
Thickest Sound
Overwelming Bass
only for specific genre, no allrounder

ZVX
his favourite of all the single DD IEMs here (exept Castor which is best but 2x DD)
Beste ear tips Letshuoer tips or some wide bore? youtu.be/i-EVOfrwLT4?t=211
Only wish: more extension abouf 10k
ZVX edges out Polaris slightly in the mids and upper mids. treble are better presented on ZVX

D-FI
Mid presentation amazing
Version with switches has a little bit less bass
therefore he recommends the no-switch version
ZVX does the bass better

(Castor)
Very good - better than any other IEM in this comparison
but it is a doube DD, so this is not a fair comparison

CRA
not available on market anymore, only revised version that is worse than Polaris
old and still very good, but cheaper shell than polaris
peak at 5k might be a problem for some
Tonality: everythin comes nice together: v-shpe fun and engaging sound
better than Polaris

CRA revised 2023. version (NOT CRA+)
CXS in a different shell
not as good (mojo) as original CRA
not as good as Polaris
more closed down mids than Polaris (Polaris is better here)

Lyra
same driver as CXS
shell looks cheap
bass a bit leaner than CXS
little more energy 4-6k

CXS
balances out some peaks of Lyra (4-6k)

Polaris / Comparison:
Polaris has same bass as ZVX, D-FI and CXS
the bass is a bit snappier on ZVX, D-FI and CXS than on Polaris
Polaris sounds better with KBear 07 Eartips: tightening up things, sound gets more open
Polaris has less extension past 10k than D-FI or Castor, but sufficient

He prefers the ZVX over the Polaris, but they are very close to each other
If you have ZVX or Polaris, you do not need the other one (not a real upgrade)
ZVX edges out Polaris slightly in the mids and upper mids. treble are better presented on ZVX
Choose ZVX over Polaris, if you do not need switches

D-FI vs. Polaris: no need to upgrade, keep the one of them that you already have

Polaris and CXS equal: no clear winner
Polaris better than current CRA (2023 version) and Lyra, DQS
ZVX and D-FI are a bit better than Polaris

Castor is the best of all these IEMs, but it is a 2x DD while all others are single DD

Again not my opinion, just summing up the video.
(If you found this usefull, please visit Akros channel and like or comment the video - He is Mr. Pokemon and already has them all :) )

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #102,268 of 104,212
After watching Akros video I ordered the Polaris because I wanted the flexibility of switches over the slightly better KZ ZVX.
Also watched the review of ToneDeafMonk which was positive and who is also modding the Polaris to make it even better.
I'm glad to read additional positive feedback here about the Polaris after I ordered it.

I also ordered the Castor Harman as it should be much better than the Polaris.
Castor is very cheap atm. on Aliexpress. Cheaper and better than the Polaris - so easy decision for me.

So everyone interested in the Polaris might also want to consider the Castor or ZVX.

May 20, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #102,270 of 104,212
Here is my summary of the following video by Akros

CCA Polaris - A KZ D-fi in different clothes?

This is not my opinion, just summing up the video, so you can save some time :)

He is comparing following IEMs (in the same order of his review table):
KZ DQS - KZ ZVX - KZ D-FI - KZ Castor
CAA CRA - CAA CRA revised (2023) - CAA Lyra - CAA CXS

TLDR:
  • ZVX is better (to him) than the Polaris
  • choose Polaris if you want switches (for less bass sometimes), otherwise ZVX
  • CRA (original Version) is better than Polaris, but not available on market anymore
  • CRA 2023 version is worse than Polaris (this is NOT CRA+)
  • Castor is way better than all these IEMs, but it is a double DD
All IEMS are similar: V-shape with prominent bass

DQS
Thickest Sound
Overwelming Bass
only for specific genre, no allrounder

ZVX
his favourite of all the single DD IEMs here (exept Castor which is best but 2x DD)
Beste ear tips Letshuoer tips or some wide bore? youtu.be/i-EVOfrwLT4?t=211
Only wish: more extension abouf 10k

D-FI
Mid presentation amazing
Version with switches has a little bit less bass
therefore he recommends the no-switch version
ZVX does the bass better

(Castor)
Very good - better than any other IEM in this comparison
but it is a doube DD, so this is not a fair comparison

CRA
not available on market anymore, only revised version that is worse than Polaris
old and still very good, but cheaper shell than polaris
peak at 5k might be a problem for some
Tonality: everythin comes nice together: v-shpe fun and engaging sound
better than Polaris

CRA revised 2023. version (NOT CRA+)
CXS in a different shell
not as good (mojo) as original CRA
not as good as Polaris
more closed down mids than Polaris (Polaris is better here)

Lyra
same driver as CXS
shell looks cheap
bass a bit leaner than CXS
little more energy 4-6k

CXS
balances out some peaks of Lyra (4-6k)

Polaris / Comparison:
Polaris has same bass as ZVX, D-FI and CXS
the bass is a bit snappier on ZVX, D-FI and CXS than on Polaris
Polaris sounds better with KBear 07 Eartips: tightening up things, sound gets more open
Polaris has less extension past 10k than D-FI or Castor, but sufficient

He prefers the ZVX over the Polaris, but they are very close to each other
If you have ZVX or Polaris, you do not need the other one (not a real upgrade)
Choose ZVX over Polaris, if you do not need switches

D-FI vs. Polaris: no need to upgrade, keep the one of them that you already have

Polaris and CXS equal: no clear winner
Polaris better than current CRA (2023 version) and Lyra, DQS
ZVX and D-FI are a bit better than Polaris

Castor is the best of all these IEMs, but it is a 2x DD while all others are single DD

Again not my opinion, just summing up the video.

Just a simple brief opinion, I got ZVX for ca. $6.5, (under $10 Cad), as an add-on to other purchases some time a previous month. ZVX is hefty and very solidly built - not likely to be destroyed by any external factors. Sounds very acceptatble.
20240520_101214.jpg

If ZVX is better than Polaris (?), then Castors, Merga, Trio are on a diiferent (higher) relative level, IMO.

P. S. It just shows how subjective and prone to biases is the individual perceptions, even just for few simple IEMs: D-Fi, Krila, Castors, ZVX, Polaris, Rhapsody, Trio (I do not have only Polaris from this list for the records, and do not plan to get Hydro for my simple reasoning).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back