The discovery thread!
May 12, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #101,161 of 107,067
ST7 from the A55 was a very similar experience to the A45. Maybe a tad, and I mean tad more stage width, but when I plugged into the WM1A, holy smokes!!! The experience went up several notches! The stage becomes orbital, the top end, though not quite as smooth, is still non-sibilant and the bass becomes deeper and tighter. I'm gonna enjoy spending time with this combo after work! HUZZAH!

May 12, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #101,162 of 107,067
Had a bit of a scare this morning when i thought my Trio developed a channel imbalance. Turned out one of my old, trusty TRN cables went bad at the connector.

Tried one of those cheapo KZ cables and it worked fine again. Actually now that I think of it I want to look for more for some more thin, lightweight cables but of good quality.

May 12, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #101,163 of 107,067
Had a bit of a scare this morning when i thought my Trio developed a channel imbalance. Turned out one of my old, trusty TRN cables went bad at the connector.

Tried one of those cheapo KZ cables and it worked fine again. Actually now that I think of it I want to look for more for some more thin, lightweight cables but of good quality.
stock silver plated kz wire is fine. im actually surprised how well mine are holding, ive been pulling and twisting them everyday for my setup at work.

May 12, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #101,164 of 107,067
I’ve never tried it, but wouldn’t playback of a Dolby Atmos song (from Amazon Unlimited) on a Dolby Atmos home theatre setup be what you’re looking for ?
Dolby renderings are some of the processing (DSP) options developed for movie theaters and further adopted for home theaters. Just one of the dimensions/possibilities in the multidimensional space of sound rendering.
Er ... who is this imposter? Can I have the old acerbic Phonophi - the slayer of 150$+ audio gear, please?!
A good one!
I am trying to be gentle, polite and all-inclusive (younger- more ascerbic; older - more mellow:))
No moves from $150 gear!

Starting my comparison, I can just emphatically reiterate the fact that all of you here very much know - an amazing time for this hobby with sources and IEMs - just a couple of hundred dollars can bring so much capabilities!

Lastly, I noticed that Celest Relentless became available at HiFiGo at $169.99, not unfair price. An IEM to my alley - settling with all BAs, exploring hybrids a bit (plus collecting Celest pokemons is fan); though I will wait for more universal availability and some discounts.

May 12, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #101,165 of 107,067
Dolby renderings are some of the processing (DSP) options developed for movie theaters and further adopted for home theaters. Just one of the dimensions/possibilities in the multidimensional space of sound rendering.
A good one!
I am trying to be gentle, polite and all-inclusive (younger- more ascerbic; older - more mellow:))
No moves from $150 gear!

Starting my comparison, I can just emphatically reiterate the fact that all of you here very much know - an amazing time for this hobby with sources and IEMs - just a couple of hundred dollars can bring so much capabilities!

Lastly, I noticed that Celest Relentless became available at HiFiGo at $169.99, not unfair price. An IEM to my alley - settling with all BAs, exploring hybrids a bit (plus collecting Celest pokemons is fan); though I will wait for more universal availability and some discounts.

What's special in all BAs? You don't like how DD renders your music?

And yes yes, mellowed phonophi is great :- )

May 12, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #101,166 of 107,067
IMG_7677.jpeg
Got the Trios in today and they are a very impressive entry in the budget realm. Doing some A/B comparisons today with the MP145, using an unbalanced cable and Azla Origin tips.

While I think the MP145 is better in almost every regard; the gap in sound quality is undeniable in how close it’s getting. The Trio benefits by having a bassier switch if you desire. I found the switches that adjust the upper frequency to add a bit too much, and will mostly be adjusting the bass ones for the desired range depending on mood / genre.

While I don’t buy in to the “TOTL killer”, I do believe it’s tuning to be a budget trend setter. Every company making sub $150 dollar IEMs needs to be paying attention and adjusting accordingly. It’s better or can be held in the same regard at that level, and will be my new beater IEM. Well done!

May 12, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #101,167 of 107,067
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 and KZ Merga are in transit, with the ZS10 pro landing sometime next week. Merga a bit after that. The CCA Hydro, which is the one I truly want to hear, hasn't even shipped yet. So that'll be awhile. Oh those waits.
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 have rather positive early impression. tough there are some that didn't like the BA sound

Merga is a bit questionable.
Marketing material wise, they seems doesn't skimp on driver but cheap out on shell (all plastic without faceplate), two cable option (the cheap cable, and the silver one) and removing switch (but keep the proper crossover) to cut cost
it was speculated that Castor was sold under the planned price due to bad press from KZ marketing rep debacle with crin which cause KZ to cut the price down.

So Merga might be the dual DD with abit healthier profit margin.
Hopefully as good or (finger crossed) a bit better.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #101,168 of 107,067
May 12, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #101,169 of 107,067
@Shanling is developing a high-end planar magnetic headphone. It is very comfortable and exceptionally well made. Tuning is not yet finished but the sound is already very good.
image.jpgimage.jpg

"If you're gonna steal, steal from the best." - Woody Allen :sunglasses:

May 13, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #101,170 of 107,067
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 have rather positive early impression. tough there are some that didn't like the BA sound

Merga is a bit questionable.
Marketing material wise, they seems doesn't skimp on driver but cheap out on shell (all plastic without faceplate), two cable option (the cheap cable, and the silver one) and removing switch to cut cost.
it was speculated that Castor was sold under the planned price due to bad press from KZ marketing rep debacle with crin which cause KZ to cut the price down.

So Merga might be the dual DD with abit healthier profit margin.
Hopefully as good or (finger crossed) a bit better.
If it falls between the single Xun DD Ling and the triple DD Trio in sound, then at the price I paid for it, which was I think $13.00 with the upgrade cable, then I'll be a happy camper. We'll see? twin DD drivers have disappointed me for years. Last good one I can remember was the JVC FXT90.

May 13, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #101,171 of 107,067
May 13, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #101,174 of 107,067
Not sure how many people will remember but about a year ago, maybe a bit less, this thread briefly went crazy over the NiceHCK MeetAlice cable being on sale. A bunch of us bought one and it ended up being a massive let down because it's super stiff and microphonic... Well I've been rocking it on my T800 and now that it's starting to loosen up it's actually a pretty solid cable? I still have better behaved cables but this one is growing on me. It's so chunky and well-made.

No sound impressions because I'm a stark nonbeliever.

On an unrelated note, don't get into Chinese watches. It's the same kind of rabbit hole as ChiFi 😞

And on another unrelated note, caved and ordered the CCA Trio. I need to know what all the buzz is about. I own the KZ EDA Balanced and PR1 Pro. Guess I just wanna see how they've come along since my last KZ purchase? The PR1 Pro is disgustingly close to my T800 in performance. The PR1 Pro even pulls ahead in some cases, it's more natural and airy in some songs. Looking forward to checking out the Trio.

May 13, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #101,175 of 107,067
Is the Mest mk2 still relevant in 2024? It definitely was one of the best back in 2021 but brands have uped the ante and have been making more competitive IEMs around this price, so.. Should you consider Mest mk2 now? Not new definitely but at it's used value which hovers around $800? Can this compete with the Campfire BlackStar?
Here is my comparison and revisited review:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back