The discovery thread!
May 10, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #101,041 of 102,777
Am still confused. Just one or multiple? Not liking in case someone else does it too ! And you giving her your szas I assume!
just one lol! She is not an IEM person, I have tried believe me. She is very supportive of this hobby, and is actually the main push behind me doing reviews.

She just has a lot of luck with giveaways and I’m trying to take a managers fee 😂😂

May 10, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #101,042 of 102,777
Here's my latest review for the TRN Conch (Head-fi and blog). This set includes fantastic accessories and the tuning is good to boot. I had a lot of fun taking pics too. If you can find them on sale around $20 just grab one to have a beater pair of iems 🤣. Thanks to everyone who checks out my reviews. I'm really enjoying this reviewing thing and I hope some people are getting something from it too.
1000020598.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #101,043 of 102,777
Here's my latest review for the TRN Conch (Head-fi and blog). This set includes fantastic accessories and the tuning is good to boot. I had a lot of fun taking pics too. If you can find them on sale around $20 just grab one to have a beater pair of iems 🤣. Thanks to everyone who checks out my reviews. I'm really enjoying this reviewing thing and I hope some people are getting something from it too.
1000020598.jpg
Really awesome pic man. Gonna check out this review after the drink wears off 😂

May 10, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #101,044 of 102,777
The MagicOne is on my radar, along with the Kiwi Ears Quintet. Both of them simply because they're engineering marvels. No idea if I'll like listening to either one. I mean, with so many competent IEMs on the market, it seems like uniqueness matters more than simply "sounding good," anyway. "Sounding good" almost seems like the baseline. It's wild.
Yeah, I'm not chasing after any particular tuning. I've had enough "neutral" headphones over the years. I try to keep my collection usefully and interestingly diverse. I like looking for unusual IEMs that sound good, but in unexpected ways.
This hobby is weird. Let me explain.

We all start by chasing that ultimate sound reproduction that is as faithful as can be to the original recording. We chase and chase, until realising our ears are apparently unlike everyone else's and our understanding of faithful reproduction is totally or only slightly different to the norm.

We then chase and chase some more with this newly acquired knowledge about these two funny looking things that hang on each side of our head.

And then some day, Boom! We've got a winner in our hands ears. Happy days!!

... but quite literally, only DAYS. Then we listen to various genres and find that we could do with some more/less bass rumble, more/less bass punch, more/less treble extension, more/less vocal forwardness,... And the chase continues.

Before we know it, we've got 6(++) IEMs that all serve the same purpose of enjoying music, only that they are specialized in certain genres. Fantastic!

Months or years into this hobby - depending on how insatiable our thirst for more is, we come to realise lots of stuff sounds fantastic, especially nowadays.

Game takes a swift turn towards chasing uniqueness, be it in technological/aesthetic/form factor/branding... aspect.

May 10, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #101,046 of 102,777
I agree with you. Discovery is mostly about discovering the BEST VALUE in sound (this was the origins of Ds's original post), though all discoveries and prices are warranted and welcome here, but this isn't going to find it's footing on the Watercooler thread (which is where the big spenders commiserate) either, because they like bougee and boutique, and Penon ain't it in those circles. How did that Impact do? I never hear ANYTHING about it. Or that uber expensive Tansio Mirai RGB? Yeah. Neither are ever mentioned in the "budget no limit" threads. As far as shoes, those limited run and boutique shoe companies know as soon as they release a shoe, regardless of price, it's going to SELL OUT. Almost instantly. This will not be the case here. I GUARANTEE it.
Yes, but the Volt, the IEM this Voltage is the new version of, sold tons and it is legendary...... still is. The Volt is in my top 3 IEMs ever made, that I have heard. BEST VALUE, is completely subjective, there could be a person with a $4000.00 IEM where to them that is the best value.

May 10, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #101,047 of 102,777
Hello Peeps,

Starting today with my post on the brilliant iBasso D16 and PB5 Transportable DAC/AMP+Tube Headphone Amp stack. I personally loved this one alot basically for its silky smooth and detailed sound. Here's the link to my review video,

Sorry for my silly grammatical mistakes I was a little nervous while shooting this one :) For my friends who would not like to watch the video, here are the Pros and Cons:-

Pros:-

1. Outstanding resolution and clarity.

2. D16 on it’s own is also very powerful.

3. D16 can be used as a high-end standalone DAC/AMP with a phone or laptop as a source.

4. Neutral sound signature with a hint of warmth.

5. Has a very smooth and buttery presentation. Sounds effortless.

6. Both devices are quite powerful.

7. PB5 adds a bit of mid-bass punch, but still retains a neutral presentation. Doesn’t sound overly warm.

8. Clean background in most cases.

9. Soundstage feel is massive, good depth as well, full 3D feeling.

Cons:-

1. Doesn’t charge with most adapters. Need PD Charging compatible ones in my case.

2. Sometimes feel too neutral.

3. Not very portable.

4. Price. Yes A little pricey, just a little you know :wink:

May 10, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #101,048 of 102,777
Yes, but the Volt, the IEM this Voltage is the new version of, sold tons and it is legendary...... still is. The Volt is in my top 3 IEMs ever made, that I have heard. BEST VALUE, is completely subjective, there could be a person with a $4000.00 IEM where to them that is the best value.
Kilobuck is not VALUE. The 1% find that value, but the 99% are the majority, and hence, not value, but I get what you want to get across. Btw, yeah, the Volt sold well. It sold for $750 with the coupon. That is decidedly cheaper than $1,200, and is mid-fi, not kilobuck.

May 10, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #101,049 of 102,777
Hello Peeps,

Starting today with my post on the brilliant iBasso D16 and PB5 Transportable DAC/AMP+Tube Headphone Amp stack. I personally loved this one alot basically for its silky smooth and detailed sound. Here's the link to my review video,

Sorry for my silly grammatical mistakes I was a little nervous while shooting this one :) For my friends who would not like to watch the video, here are the Pros and Cons:-

Pros:-

1. Outstanding resolution and clarity.

2. D16 on it’s own is also very powerful.

3. D16 can be used as a high-end standalone DAC/AMP with a phone or laptop as a source.

4. Neutral sound signature with a hint of warmth.

5. Has a very smooth and buttery presentation. Sounds effortless.

6. Both devices are quite powerful.

7. PB5 adds a bit of mid-bass punch, but still retains a neutral presentation. Doesn’t sound overly warm.

8. Clean background in most cases.

9. Soundstage feel is massive, good depth as well, full 3D feeling.

Cons:-

1. Doesn’t charge with most adapters. Need PD Charging compatible ones in my case.

2. Sometimes feel too neutral.

3. Not very portable.

4. Price. Yes A little pricey, just a little you know :wink:

You keep mentioning “no monies left for anything”, yet new gears keep coming.

Earmarked the video for viewing later.

Kilobuck is not VALUE. The 1% find that value, but the 99% are the majority, and hence, not value, but I get what you want to get across. Btw, yeah, the Volt sold well. It sold for $750 with the coupon. That is decidedly cheaper than $1,200, and is mid-fi, not kilobuck.

Since you are such a sticker for value …

F56ACF27-22D2-45F6-9E7B-EF83FE9A7A2E.jpeg

• Buy once, never feel the itch to upgrade again
  • efficient use of natural resources (less e-waste, no unused gear)
  • Easy resell and get most of the money back for upgrade
  • Fantastic experience from the buying to the reselling time
  • Edit: in my experience, diminishing return kicks in hard after hitting the benchmark IEMs like Monarch II/III, MEST, DIVA, Crimson, which, coincidentally, “entry level” kilobuck
Why get 10 mediocre ones rather than 1 excellent one.

Edit: removed my unnecessarily aggressive statements

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #101,050 of 102,777

• Edit: in my experience, diminishing return kicks in hard after hitting the benchmark IEMs like Monarch II/III, MEST, DIVA, Crimson, which, coincidentally, “entry level” kilobuck
Meanwhile. My lifetime spending on headgear is about $180...

May 10, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #101,051 of 102,777
Meanwhile. My lifetime spending on headgear is about $180...
I mean, I’m not saying that “if your IEM is not $1000, you don’t know IEM”. But if one keeps buying and buying $100 IEMs many times a year, they could have bought TOTL IEMs, perhaps multiple times over the years.

We have only 2 ears and a few hours to listen to music a day.

May 10, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #101,052 of 102,777

When you come to the realization that no IEM is perfect, no matter how much you spend. And you come to terms with that......meaning that you find ways to make that expensive IEM be slightly closer to your preferences, with cables, ear-tips or source. Then you have to realize that maybe that little extra they do is only 10%, yet that 10% exists as a form of playback reality. Part of it may be defined in detailed bass, part of it may be realistic midrange, or most common the treble. Such treble is very well separated and holding profound details....occupying different levels of added detail in the upper realm. Something mid-fi almost never does.

Buy one IEM and your mind gets more and more used to it. Sadly no, you will lose a lot (often) on resale like 1/3 at times depending on the IEM.

May 10, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #101,053 of 102,777
Sadly no, you will lose a lot (often) on resale like 1/3 at times depending on the IEM.
What if you already bought used? I think my Andro is pretty much worthless nowadays, so is the Gaea, but the U12t might keep the same price as how much I paid for it. Maybe also the Z1R and VX. They are still quite pricy nowadays.

May 10, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #101,054 of 102,777
Yes, it probably is a case by case issue. Where if someone doesn’t end-up liking the IEM they just purchased.....then it would be good to sell it off ASAP. Where I have purchased stuff that was all over the road, meaning a bunch of different end tones. Meaning at times you don’t even know the bad (or different) aspects to a headphone when it first comes out. There is no Head-Fi group consensus yet on the sound, or value.

And that consensus is directly (along with age) affecting resale and/or popularity in the end.

Meaning back in 2006 there were no expensive IEMs. Stax was expensive, and the Sony R10 was a lot, but if a headphone came out, just because it sounded different like the AKG k701. Reviewers would find the k701 sound new and embrace it. As at times sounding different can all-of-a-sudden sound fresh......then you would buy it, only later to learn the AKG k701 is/was bass shy. Still for what it does in the headphone world it is unique. Where the Noble Encore was $1850.00 when I purchased it, and then in 2018 that was a lot for a TOTL IEM, only the Encore is in many ways (tonally) exactly like the AKG k701, not as well rounded as many, and not the very best at Rock.
What if you already bought used? I think my Andro is pretty much worthless nowadays, so is the Gaea, but the U12t might keep the same price as how much I paid for it. Maybe also the Z1R and VX. They are still quite pricy nowadays.
But the Encore being so old now....and sells (on the used market) for $600.00.......still I make it work, and I still enjoy it and make it play Rock! But I would never sell it and lose $1250?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back