The discovery thread!
May 6, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #100,666 of 103,531

Folks, one question.

Why does my new 3.5 to 3.5 cable has an arrow pointing the direction? Since when is 3.5mm cable directional?
The cable is probably shielded, with the shielding connected only in the source end of the cable. Not sure how good this would work, since the shield must be connected together with signal ground.

May 6, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #100,667 of 103,531
May 6, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #100,668 of 103,531
May 6, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #100,669 of 103,531
Welcome back !

Tansio Mirai X is a detail king.
NiceHCK Himalaya is nice.
I have the X. Looks like I'm deciding between Pilgrim, Dusk2 or Himalaya.
Anyone heard the Dusk2? Thoughts?
I do have the Neo 3 and wonder how similar they are.

May 6, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #100,670 of 103,531
1. Simgot EA500LM
2. CCA Trio
3. TRN ST7 (by default - hasn't arrived yet)
4. KZ ZS10 pro2 (by default - hasn't arrived yet)
5. CCA Trio

I haven't bought 5 things in 2024 that came out in 2024. I'm not as hungry for gear as some or getting review units like others.
Well said bro...I've bought 2 & received 1...(interestingly) rediscovered 2....alas the only thing that expands is my wish-list haha !!

May 6, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #100,671 of 103,531
How can a single BA beat out many hybrid and tribrid IEM's well beyond it's price range? TECH & TUNING. P8 has better tech, but overall, the Hydro can hang in there closely with it and other TOTL offerings?
Yep, the tuning part seems to be working for CCA lately. Tech, though, I am skeptical at best that these components can keep up with any TOTLs. Unless, of course, the TOTL is tuned way differently and your ears disagree with the tuning to begin with.

Anyone have a recommendation for a brand that does good iem with custom faceplates?
Hisenior. @Leonarfd beat me to it.

Folks, one question.

Why does my new 3.5 to 3.5 cable has an arrow pointing the direction? Since when is 3.5mm cable directional?
Everyone knows electrons flow more freely one way.

Hello Friends,

What gear so far in 2024 has interested you guys the most?? I have created this video today where I discuss about the ones that I personally liked so far. i hope you guys watch the video, but for my friends who are not interested here are the names I mentioned in the video.

1. Kefine Delci
2. Artti R1 and T10
3. Letshuoer Cadenza4
4. Elysian Pilgrim
5. Cayin N3 Ultra

Thank you!!

Nice picks! But where are those big $$$ boys you auditioned at SG CanJam?

Hm, I've not been active enough on the market to really have any Top 2024 picks. Some companies I'm most interested in currently would be ZMF, 634Ears, and Hisenior. Definitely getting something from either one of the three at some point this year hopefully. Oh, and a small DAP.

• HIBY R8 II - lost interest in new DAPs after.
  • Letshuoer Cadenza4 - suprisingly well tuned and ergonomic set
  • 634ears new flagships - still not here and I'm waiting every day for it to finish and get tracking 😁
  • AüR Audio Aehta - also not here yet, waited for a long time and is shipped out today.
  • Denafrips Ares 12th-1 - this model is not new this year, but new for me and my desktop setup. Didn't expect a R2R DAC to elevate my music listening, but it clearly gave me the analog sound I was missing on desktop and speaker setup.
  • FranQL Nexus - metal earbud from my hermano. Lovely timbre and resolving sound.
What a list 💯

May 6, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #100,672 of 103,531
New Meze 105AER open back launching soon along with their IEM... adding this to my "exciting products 2024" answer
1715029903378.png

1715030063569.png

https://www.headfonia.com/high-end-munich-2024-preview-3/7/

May 6, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #100,673 of 103,531
We can agree on a lot of things, and we do, but this is where we part. I've heard several TOTL gears, and where in DAPS, I'm well aware of the aural differences the higher prices can make, I'm not necessarily sold on the difference between price and sound makes with IEMs. I think, even with the U12T, it has more to do with the tech than it has to do with the drivers. Like the MagicOne. It's the way AFUL designed the internals and the tubing that makes it special, more than the actual BA ability itself. The IE600 was touted by many, and I mean MANY as being TOTL capable, and no doubt it was pretty great sounding (if you love big slamming bass), but I found them less performing than the Aures, and when I got the EA1000, and listened to them side by side, I sold them. To my ears, the EA1000 performed more in the TOTL than the IE600 did. The Aures even more so. So I think if your ears justify paying a month+ mortgage payment for the music gear, then all the more power to you, but it's very personal in that judgement, because so far, my ears pick up more from cheaper gear than some that hit kilobuck levels, while others swear by the CFA stuff (while others don't), and other kilobuck examples. So it's all in the ear of the beholder as far as price/performance and what one would consider monetary thresholds. Maybe my ears are too old now to pick up those delicious nuances?
When I think of TOTL, I think of Crimson, MEST III, Spartacus, Anni, that sorts of things, not quite IE600 😅(in other words, the top ones that happen to be pretty expensive, not the most expensive out there). That’s what I originally mean, the P8 is not sitting there yet no matter how much I like it.

But even I have to admit that the gap is smaller and smaller because new IEMs benefits from better technology and supply chain optimisation, making them as good as the old ones that are many times more expensive. I mean I do hear stronger performance from my U12t, but I would find it very hard to justify getting one nowadays if my current IEM is EA1000.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #100,674 of 103,531
There is not enough time in the world to listen to IEMs.

1000032021.jpg

May 6, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #100,675 of 103,531
There is not enough time in the world to listen to IEMs.

1000032021.jpg
they look so good I want them just for the art. They'd better sound dang better than the wan'er though because I find those only a bit above average.

May 6, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #100,677 of 103,531
Is Dunu Falcon Ultra shouty? Looking at the boost around 4k, dB level seems ok.
Depending on the nozzles. The stock nozzles can be shouty. The golden nozzle is smooth and easy going. Overall a well tuned, if not a bit “vanilla” IEM.

May 6, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #100,679 of 103,531
Asos-Plus.jpg

Modular vs Fixed 4.4mm plugs - which camp are you in?

I just completed an interesting case study, comparing the fixed-plug Penon ASOS+ cable with the modular-plug ASOS. You can learn my findings in the review here. :smile:

May 6, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #100,680 of 103,531
they look so good I want them just for the art. They'd better sound dang better than the wan'er though because I find those only a bit above average.

They sound very, very good. Based on IEMs that I've heard/own, I'd comfortably say that the Xuan NV feel like if the Moondrop Aria 2 (or the Kato) had a baby with the Zero Reds with the bass feeling way better/more textured than the squig really shows but otherwise being right there in tonality (not the same level of details, etc but very respectable). It's also in a super comfortable size/shell that's in between those sizes.

If someone was looking for an entry point into IEMs (like recommending the Zero Red if they don't know fully what they're seeking in IEMs) around that $50-75 range, this is an easy pick. Save up just a bit more and you get a really good package. IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back