The discovery thread!
May 6, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #100,636 of 103,999
What gear so far in 2024 has interested you guys the most?
1. Tansio Mirai X, bought: my most expensive and most loved one. That detail is awesome, man !
2. NiceHCK Himalaya, bought: good, but I am not convinced it was worth the price. Using it with Kato's nozzles.
3. Penon Voltage : waiting for price.

I have enough cables, tips and DACs for foreseeable future; DAPs and desktop stuff are not for me.

May 6, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #100,637 of 103,999
Welcome to the new and improved. Discovery thread..

I have given some thought into what this thread should be about. If anybody that feels they have something to contribute to this thread as in. It is something new for you or the community I welcome any and every impression of anything that is new to you..If I feel it is something the community should take a good look at it will be posted on the front page and a change in the title with that particular product..I think this thread should be about encouraging something new for all of us to consider as well as letting the rest of us know how you feel about a product. Your impressions matter.

As there are so many products out there in headphone land that just goes unnoticed. I hope this thread will uncover some gems that should not be missed by this community. Everyone on this thread should feel at home and no one is going to judge you based on your experience with said new products. I welcome everyone's take on anything they feel is a discovery for them. Remember this is not just a discovery for the community but should be about a discovery for you. Thanks for reading and supporting the th

May 6, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #100,639 of 103,999
Some audiophiles swear its the transducers you put in your ears that are more important than the source, but doesnt the source ie dap also determine what sound your iems produce ?...its a bit like which came first the chicken or the egg ?
The source can determine what outputs, you aren’t wrong there but if what you are saying is true then no headphone would sound different from one another?

Driver tuning and ear tips are going to be the last thing to color your sound before it reaches your ear. The tuning of the transducer ultimately matters more.

May 6, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #100,640 of 103,999
Hello Friends,

What gear so far in 2024 has interested you guys the most?? I have created this video today where I discuss about the ones that I personally liked so far. i hope you guys watch the video, but for my friends who are not interested here are the names I mentioned in the video.
1. Kefine Delci
2. Tangzu Xuan NV
3. Penon Quattro (Holdover from last year)
4. 7hz Aurora

May 6, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #100,641 of 103,999
May 6, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #100,642 of 103,999
Just to recap for my own benefit. On the new releases.

In the 100 to 150$: KZ Hydro (@Jaytiss recos) and Celest Relentless (Baskinshark initial impressions seems to be pretty good).

In the sub 30: CCA Trio for its staging, separation, mid-bass

50 to 100: Kefine Delci (sub-bass focussed) and Artti R1 (Mid-bass) . Both equal raves, depending on which part of bass you seek prominence.

250$: Ziigaat Doscinco (its bass getting the raves like here by Luke Reid, whose measured reviews I am beginning to dig)

400$: Elysian Pilgrim (awaiting more reviews, @o0genesis0o likes it a lot?) and Penon Voltage ( gushing-rave from DSnuts on Penon Voltage ! (Pilgrim ish price i reckon or maybe not) Fair to assume that Penon fanboys will soon jump and rave on this soon. Will one outsider will say yeah good but not that great and amusing popcorn-popping timepass of passionate eyerolls to follow?!) and Hype 4, i guess.
Don't forget the NICEHCK Himalaya. Getting nice buzz at the $325 price point.

May 6, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #100,643 of 103,999
1. Tansio Mirai X, bought: my most expensive and most loved one. That detail is awesome, man !
2. NiceHCK Himalaya, bought: good, but I am not convinced it was worth the price. Using it with Kato's nozzles.
3. Penon Voltage : waiting for price.

I have enough cables, tips and DACs for foreseeable future; DAPs and desktop stuff are not for me.
1 and 2 I have both with me right now, and love both of them
3rd I am also waiting up haha

May 6, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #100,644 of 103,999
1. Kefine Delci
2. Tangzu Xuan NV
3. Penon Quattro (Holdover from last year)
4. 7hz Aurora
Delci on my list as well, Xuan NV I have listened and liked it as well, Quattro, very relaxing and smooth sounding with excellent bass hits, I want to listen to the 7Hz Aurora as well 🤭🤭

May 6, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #100,645 of 103,999
I want to listen to the 7Hz Aurora as well 🤭🤭
This is the only sub 500 dollar set that currently interests me for some reason…

May 6, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #100,647 of 103,999
Don't forget the NICEHCK Himalaya. Getting nice buzz at the $325 price point.
It is getting some buzz yeah but personally I am not sure if they deserve it? I don't own any IEMs in the same price bracket but them needing other nozzles to sound better (and create a better fit for a lot of people) is kind of bad? It does sound good but isn't like wow? It seemed to be a bit of a flavor of the month IEM, I am sure there are better single DD's around the price range but that is just my assumption going off on other peoples experience.

May 6, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #100,648 of 103,999
Edit: I expect the AFUL Explorer would pull another surprise like the Magic One.
I'm kind of banking on that, too. Listened to my MagicOne for about an hour last night and still stoked at how perfectly they match most of my preferences for just $110. A wonderful set.

If Aful can blend the Performer series and MagicOne into one IEM, just take my damn money right now.

May 6, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #100,649 of 103,999
Hello Friends,

What gear so far in 2024 has interested you guys the most??
1. ZMF Aeolus. Yeah, it's not an IEM. But it's absolutely fantastic. Love every second I listen to it. So far, the ideal headphone to match my sonic preferences. Incredible looks and build quality, too.
2. Kefine Delci. It's stupid how enjoyable this IEM is for $60. Sub-bass-alicious, with solid mids and top end. Great tuning from this single DD. Wonderful timbre, cohesion.
3. Artti R1. Another superb set often on sale for $60. More mid-bass focused and a bit more top-end glare and metallic timbre than Delci but still terrific for the money. Can't go wrong with the Delci or the R1 -- up to your preferences.
4. CCA Trio. Impressive triple DD with tuning switches. Good detail, separation for a budget IEM. Gets a bit grainy in the upper mids and top end in complex passages, but hey, it's a $40 IEM with tuning switches that sounds good. Slightly thin note weight, but that's an observation, not a criticism. This is a solid pick at $40. I still would get the Delci for another $20. But for $20-28 on AliExpress? The Trio is a steal.

Trend I don't like: The move by manufacturers to cram more drivers into a shell. We're veering very close to calling our little gems OEMs (outside ear monitors) instead of IEMs. Some shells and nozzles are getting HUGE because Chi-fi IEM companies are using driver count as a marketing point much like they use the reduction of .0000004 SINAD as a marketing point for new amp releases. Foolish. I will take a well-tuned, cohesive single driver or two-driver unit over a 10-driver unit with poor cohesion or a massive shell every damn day.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #100,650 of 103,999
ZMF Aeolus
Wonderful headphone, had it for a year but sold it due to comfort since my large ears hit the driver enclosure. But the sound was really good, zmf magical midrange and good bass. Sort of Penon Serial in a headphone, if that make any sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back