The discovery thread!
May 2, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #100,291 of 103,915
What's one of the most recommended $500 or less IEM recommended for a more musical/organic/slightly warm presentation while still having good technicalities?

I'd like to recommend SLIIVO SLT6.
It's very detailed with excellent resolution (for the price). SLT6 can be slightly warm or cold - depends on a source.
At the same time the sound is very coherent, quite deep bass as for all-BA IEM, without extra brightness, with good extension for treble.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #100,292 of 103,915
100% agree. Even Crinacle had a wacky first impression, where later he found, (as many do) two separate (yet very different) IER-Z1R insertion depths. You can even use two different sizes of ear-tips.

One (bigger ear-tip) on the outside, and one deep (smaller ear-tip)................. creating treble enhancing effects, and stage increasing reality results.

One another note.................
https://www.linsoul.com/products/7hz-aurora
1DD x 1Planar (what?) and two BA………..Audiophile IEM

https://www.linsoul.com/products/tangzu-xuannv
2x DD imagination…………Audiophile IEM
DSC_0308.jpegqwq.jpeg
I don't even like red but that thing is hot
DSC0648.jpg

May 2, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #100,293 of 103,915
CCA Hydro review

by HBB

by OB Odio/Kesobie

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cca-hydro-2dd-8ba.27185/reviews#review-33734

---
So far both stated that this is the best CCA they've tried
As Kesobie noted in the price range, while very close in performance to Simgot EM6L and trade blows with Celest Phoenixcalls, apparently it still outperformed by Simgot EA500LM.

I've been listening to the CCA Hydro all day now. I believe that this very well might be the best product they have put out. I'll leave it at that. I'm trying to decide which switch settings I like the best, going to have to wait until tomorrow. Reminds me more of the Trio than it does the Rhapsody. Time to head to bed and dream about listening to the Hydro.

May 2, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #100,294 of 103,915
I've been listening to the CCA Hydro all day now. I believe that this very well might be the best product they have put out. I'll leave it at that. I'm trying to decide which switch settings I like the best, going to have to wait until tomorrow. Reminds me more of the Trio than it does the Rhapsody. Time to head to bed and dream about listening to the Hydro.
Lol, you'd hope so at 5-6 times the price of the Trio (assuming the AliEx pre-order prices are correct)

May 2, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #100,295 of 103,915
Lol, you'd hope so at 5-6 times the price of the Trio (assuming the AliEx pre-order prices are correct)
You would hope so. If not, I got this fancy new cable that came with it :L3000:

May 2, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #100,296 of 103,915
I found the Z1r to be horrible. Very V shaped, wooly bass and bad treble extension with lower and mid treble prominence. Badly tuned IEM which is good for bass heads only.
Bah, this is why those Squig sites should graph IEMs with the same tips, otherwise instead of being IEM repositories they are IEM+Tips repositories.

Are you aware that the Z1R stock tips easily kill 5-10db of the upper treble in favor of the lower/mid treble on every IEM, more than foam tips do? The same that happens with EP-EX11 and Final E tips.

Try it with some Radius Deep Mount and it turns into a whole different IEM, with most of your complains no longer applying.

That being said, I really hate this trend of nuking mid treble and then having this annoying comeback around 15kHz massively speaking the air, which is a crutch in my eyes for those that want "tech" and don't care about timbre. I actually blame Crinacle's rig for this meta.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #100,297 of 103,915
Bah, this is why those Squig sites should graph IEMs with the same tips, otherwise instead of being IEM repositories they are IEM+Tips repositories.

Are you aware that the Z1R stock tips easily kill 5-10db of the upper treble in favor of the lower/mid treble on every IEM, more than foam tips do? The same that happens with EP-EX11 and Final E tips.

Try it with some Radius Deep Mount and it turns into a whole different IEM, with most of your complains no longer applying.

That being said, I really hate this trend of nuking mid treble and then having this annoying comeback around 15kHz massively speaking the air, which is a crutch in my eyes for those that want "tech" and don't care about timbre. I actually blame Crinacle's rig for this meta.
I’m starting to think that foam tips do not “dampen” the treble but get rid of incorrect treble resonance. I use foam whenever I can nowadays.

The 15kHz peak ala 64 Audio TIA treble requires a deep fit. Otherwise you will suffer 😂

Edit: would ear canal act as a Helmholtz resonator 🤔 if it is the case, wearing IEM deeper can reduce the volume of the chamber, which pushes the resonance frequencies up into the air region or even outside the audible range. Because foam tips expand, wouldn’t it reduce the volume of the chamber and has the same effect?

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #100,298 of 103,915
I’m starting to think that foam tips do not “dampen” the treble but get rid of incorrect treble resonance.
Yes they're a bit of a crutch as well. I know that some people associate peaks with higher resolution (and power to them!), but objectively speaking, a tighter response has less masking and thus higher res.

1714638860317.png

The only IEMs I use without foam are the E5000 and Z1R. The former because it's silky smooth already, and the latter because the deep insertion destroys any foam at record times and I don't want that to chew my pension away.

May 2, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #100,300 of 103,915
In czech forum is actualy moondrop variations for sale and seler say it is for sale because mega5 est is better for vocal.
Variations has that walkie-talkie effect going on. Why people recommend it for vocals is beyond me. I think people that like it watched so much anime they forgot how real voices actually sound like.

May 2, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #100,302 of 103,915
My feelings and sound impressions on one you may not have noticed.
Shanling ME600

eb261d308514d5eb8ff5abb64640eb05704.jpg

I am kind of on the verge of getting this for myself, just the lack of funds is stopping me right now haha.

May 2, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #100,305 of 103,915
Trio currently available in "Choice" from multiple sellers, and with coins price dropped as low as 16$

I bought it for $32 and very much worth the price for it.
at sub $20? thats a steal.

...a sub $20 CCA Trio...
Chifi performance bar is increasing like crazy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back