The discovery thread!
Apr 22, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #99,526 of 102,925
A second iteration of a unit called Timeless?? Impossible.

Chuck Norris is so smart he once counted to inifinity...
twice

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #99,528 of 102,925
The Fiio FA19 is a 10 KNOWLES BA IEM.

FA19 1.jpg

Very comfortable, easy to drive, with no amplification requirements.

Accessories are fit for a king.

FA19 3.jpg

It has 1 tuning switch. In stock form (with the bass switch turned off), the FA19 sounds warm neutral. Very studio monitor-like, in furnishing a pleasant soundscape. Extremely technical, massive soundstage beyond the ears, with pinpoint imaging. And this is without needing to resort to a steroid boosted treble to garner "fake clarity".

Fiio FA19.jpg

Bass is nicely textured and clean with no bleed. Upper mids are only 6 dB - ie no shout - which was a complaint of the previous FX15 predecessor. Smooth treble, with minimal sibilance, but still very resolving.

Interestingly, the FA19 has a vented sub-woofer, so the bass sounds quite close to a DD bass. It isn't exactly 100% similar to a DD bass as there's just a slight lack of decay in the final tail of bass notes, but this improves on the vast majority of unvented BA bass drivers that sound unnatural in terms of movement of air.

FA19 2.jpg

For folks that want a bit more "fun" in the signature, toggling the switch converts the FA19 to a bass boost mode, as seen from the graphs. This is a bit warmer than the stock tuning, but the bass is more impactful. Sub-bass extension is even better with the switch on.

The FA19 does have a tinge of BA timbre, but isn't the worst offender in multi BA sets I've tried. Note weight is just right.

The FA19 uses MMCX but the MMCX seem of high quality and snap on and off without issues. BTW I spoke to a custom maker before, and MMCX comes in a variety of grades, from cheap ones seen in ultra budget CHIFI that give a bad rep to the connector type due to being too tight or spinning like a wind-vane, whereas we have higher quality ones that are rated for thousands of swaps.

I bought the FA19 at a discounted price from Fiio, but I think the full retail price is around $1K USD. This pure BA set is well suited for stage monitoring in view of the solid ergonomics and technical chops, and I do think it competes with other TOTL multi driver transducers. Think of something that has good layering and soundstage but not being overly fatiguing.

Will do some A/B testing against other pure BA sets like the Sony M9 etc and report back. Will also test out the QC of the MMCX.
This graph looks surprisingly fantastic. I'm not opposed to an all BA set at all, with the stuff from Symphonium and the Elysian Diva having some of the best bass I've heard to date, not to mention the STORM. BA bass can definitely be good.

Thanks for sharing, Basky!

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #99,529 of 102,925
Cross posting from Watercooler thread:

A friend is looking for a warmer iem with great subbass and intimate female vocals in the $800-1200 range. Definitely outside of my usual budget tier so any suggestions would be great for me to pass along. Thanks!

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #99,530 of 102,925
Cross posting from Watercooler thread:

A friend is looking for a warmer iem with great subbass and intimate female vocals in the $800-1200 range. Definitely outside of my usual budget tier so any suggestions would be great for me to pass along. Thanks!
:ksc75smile: you already know…

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #99,531 of 102,925
If the special Eros S cable is the only reason the Noir is that much more expensive they need to sell it sans-cable as well.
Here's what Jude had to say about the differences with the Noir in the Canjam Singapore video.

Elysian Pilgrim Noir
- Upgraded version
- 1DD+3BA (4-way crossover instead of 3-way on regular Pilgrim)
- More full bodied tonality
- Further refined treble
- Comes with an Effect Audio Eros S cable in new colorway

So with the Noir, you get different tuning, an upgraded cable, and a different color.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #99,532 of 102,925
If the special Eros S cable is the only reason the Noir is that much more expensive they need to sell it sans-cable as well.
Very possible. I think they are pushed at different markets with a slight tuning difference. I'm getting the normal Pilgrim, but would be interested in the comparisons. The fact is a a lot of items are overpriced with a fancy cable so an iem being more expensive is a very distinct possibility. I do like the black Noire more, do I like it 400 dollars more? Not necessarily. :)

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #99,533 of 102,925
Here's what Jude had to say about the differences with the Noir in the Canjam Singapore video.

Elysian Pilgrim Noir
- Upgraded version
- Further refined treble

So with the Noir, you get different tuning, an upgraded cable, and a different color.
this would be a killer package... at 599. 650 if we are getting a little fancy.

Excited to see full on impressions comparing the two.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #99,534 of 102,925
this would be a killer package... at 599. 650 if we are getting a little fancy.

Excited to see full on impressions comparing the two.
I want to see someone graphing both and comparing both.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #99,535 of 102,925
Per their instagram:
The PILGRIM: NOIR upgrades:
1. Co-tuned by Mr Lee and Suyang.
2. Same number of hybrid drivers, upgraded Effect Audio internal wiring and a new tuning; richer sound with stronger emphasis on the lows and mids.
3. Increased crossovers from 3 to 4 in the NOIR for better sonic control.
4. Custom coloured Effect Audio Eros S cable, with proprietary ConX and TermX interchangeable connector/plug system.
5. Includes new suede leather carrying case, and Spinfit-W1 premium eartips.
So I guess there is more to it but 2x the price just irks me for some reason.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #99,537 of 102,925

FA19 1.jpg

FA19 3.jpg

It has 1 tuning switch. In stock form (with the bass switch turned off), the FA19 sounds warm neutral. Very studio monitor-like, in furnishing a pleasant soundscape. Extremely technical, massive soundstage beyond the ears, with pinpoint imaging. And this is without needing to resort to a steroid boosted treble to garner "fake clarity".

Fiio FA19.jpg

Bass is nicely textured and clean with no bleed. Upper mids are only 6 dB - ie no shout - which was a complaint of the previous FX15 predecessor. Smooth treble, with minimal sibilance, but still very resolving.

Interestingly, the FA19 has a vented sub-woofer, so the bass sounds quite close to a DD bass. It isn't exactly 100% similar to a DD bass as there's just a slight lack of decay in the final tail of bass notes, but this improves on the vast majority of unvented BA bass drivers that sound unnatural in terms of movement of air.

FA19 2.jpg

For folks that want a bit more "fun" in the signature, toggling the switch converts the FA19 to a bass boost mode, as seen from the graphs. This is a bit warmer than the stock tuning, but the bass is more impactful. Sub-bass extension is even better with the switch on.

The FA19 does have a tinge of BA timbre, but isn't the worst offender in multi BA sets I've tried. Note weight is just right.

The FA19 uses MMCX but the MMCX seem of high quality and snap on and off without issues. BTW I spoke to a custom maker before, and MMCX comes in a variety of grades, from cheap ones seen in ultra budget CHIFI that give a bad rep to the connector type due to being too tight or spinning like a wind-vane, whereas we have higher quality ones that are rated for thousands of swaps.

I bought the FA19 at a discounted price from Fiio, but I think the full retail price is around $1K USD. This pure BA set is well suited for stage monitoring in view of the solid ergonomics and technical chops, and I do think it competes with other TOTL multi driver transducers. Think of something that has good layering and soundstage but not being overly fatiguing.

Will do some A/B testing against other pure BA sets like the Sony M9 etc and report back. Will also test out the QC of the MMCX.
This graph does look like something I could get behind. To stop myself from considering it too seriously, at this price, I really don't like to read about any BA timbre, though..

Elysian Pilgrim Noir
- Upgraded version
- Further refined treble

Ridiculous marketing if you ask me. Releasing two of the same thing at the same time and topping it off by saying one has 'further refined treble' ...

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #99,538 of 102,925

Not gonna lie, the tuning on these looks spot-on for me.

Could the FA19 actually turn out to be the first all-BA IEM from FiiO that doesn't suck?! :astonished:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #99,539 of 102,925

FA19 1.jpg

FA19 3.jpg

Fiio FA19.jpg

FA19 2.jpg

dang this does looks pretty sweet
This graph does look like something I could get behind. To stop myself from considering it too seriously, at this price, I really don't like to read about any BA timbre, though..
also where i lie... would def like to hear this

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #99,540 of 102,925
1713810841442.png

Hiby R4
4/24, Project Ace bundle gets you 10 bucks off.
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back