The discovery thread!
Apr 7, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #98,671 of 103,890
CAN JAM SINGAPORE 2024 IMPRESSIONS

At the Fiio booth, I tested 2 upcoming IEMs.

First up, we have the Fiio FD15, a single DD that should retail for around $150 - 200 USD.

This sounds very safe, U-shaped with safe upper frequencies. Timbre is organic and very natural. Technicalities are quite good for a single DD with nice sub-bass rumble.

Fiio FD15.jpg

In the second photo, we have the Fiio FA19. This is a 10 Knowles BA set, I think it should retail at sub $2K USD and is one of their higher end offerings.

The FA19 has 2 tuning switches, and is neutral bright, very technical beast. Transparent and clean sonics. Their previous FX15 was a bit hot in the upper mids, but this one is safer in that region, but more technical to boot.

Fiio FA19.jpg

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #98,672 of 103,890

First up, we have the Fiio FD15, a single DD that should retail for around $150 - 200 USD.

This sounds very safe, U-shaped with safe upper frequencies. Timbre is organic and very natural. Technicalities are quite good for a single DD with nice sub-bass rumble.

Fiio FD15.jpg

In the second photo, we have the Fiio FA19. This is a 10 Knowles BA set, I think it should retail at sub $2K USD and is one of their higher end offerings.

The FA19 has 2 tuning switches, and is neutral bright, very technical beast. Transparent and clean sonics. Their previous FX15 was a bit hot in the upper mids, but this one is safer in that region, but more technical to boot.

Fiio FA19.jpg

Thanks for all these impressions posts!
How do these things work? Can jam. You get how much time with an iem? You have a few test tracks that you listen or choose different tracks for each iem?

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #98,673 of 103,890

Kinera has an upcoming IEM under the auspices of the Queen Of Audio brand, called the QOA Adonis 2.0.

The housing is made from pine cone + resin mix. Extremely beautiful. This is a 1 DD + 2 BA hybrid.

QOA Adonis 2.0.jpg
Adonis 2.0.jpg

So they have 2 versions for beta testing at Can Jam.

One is neutral bright, with a transparent sound and good technical chops. Fast and clean would describe the bass, though perhaps bassheads would want something with more lower-end.

The other variant is bassier, V-shaped with a thicker note weight. Rumbly sounding and perhaps more "consumer friendly".

Their tuner said at the Shanghai Audio show, the consumers loved the bassier tuning more, but it seems at the Can Jam Singapore, participants tended to favour the less bassy one.

Not sure which will be released, maybe both?

Thanks for all these impressions posts!
How do these things work? Can jam. You get how much time with an iem? You have a few test tracks that you listen or choose different tracks for each iem?

It is an audio show where there are many booths from different brands. So consumers can walk up to any booth if there is a space and sit down to audition stuff. There is no strict time limit and you can sit there as long as you want, but of course some booths are perpetually crowded so it ain't good manners to hog the whole space haha.

So they have headphones, DAPs, dongles, amps, IEMs and even old school turntables and stuff you can audition.

I brought my own DAP and IEMs along as I am familiar with their sound signature. I don't usually use store provided sources to test their IEMs as such, but the booths should have their own.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #98,674 of 103,890

Fiio FD15.jpg

Fiio FA19.jpg

Did you listen to the cassette player?

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #98,676 of 103,890

Kinera has an upcoming IEM under the auspices of the Queen Of Audio brand, called the QOA Adonis 2.0.

The housing is made from pine cone + resin mix. Extremely beautiful. This is a 1 DD + 2 BA hybrid.

QOA Adonis 2.0.jpg
Adonis 2.0.jpg

So they have 2 versions for beta testing at Can Jam.

One is neutral bright, with a transparent sound and good technical chops. Fast and clean would describe the bass, though perhaps bassheads would want something with more lower-end.

The other variant is bassier, V-shaped with a thicker note weight. Rumbly sounding and perhaps more "consumer friendly".

Their tuner said at the Shanghai Audio show, the consumers loved the bassier tuning more, but it seems at the Can Jam Singapore, participants tended to favour the less bassy one.

Not sure which will be released, maybe both?

It is an audio show where there are many booths from different brands. So consumers can walk up to any booth if there is a space and sit down to audition stuff. There is no strict time limit and you can sit there as long as you want, but of course some booths are perpetually crowded so it ain't good manners to hog the whole space haha.

So they have headphones, DAPs, dongles, amps, IEMs and even old school turntables and stuff you can audition.

I brought my own DAP and IEMs along as I am familiar with their sound signature. I don't usually use store provided sources to test their IEMs as such, but the booths should have their own.
Thanks!
Most of the iems you have listed seem yet to be released, final tuning or cost to be decided as the case may be.

Are some of em available for purchase for the visitors like you? Or hear now and wait.
In case something caught your fancy.

Btw, which iems you most interested/impressed in thus far?

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #98,677 of 103,890
Did you listen to the cassette player?

Nope, didn't have any tapes with me (I prefer to listen to my own test tracks haha as I've no idea what to look out for in store provided music tracks).

Thanks!
Most of the iems you have listed seem yet to be released, final tuning or cost to be decided as the case may be.

Are some of em available for purchase for the visitors like you? Or hear now and wait.
In case something caught your fancy.

Btw, which iems you most interested/impressed in thus far?

Yeah most of the stuff showcased are upcoming releases. So some of the manufacturers use this show to get feedback from consumers, in terms of pricing and tuning. Some brands also come to get more media coverage to spread their footprint, and to make contacts with other brands for example.

For those unreleased IEMs that are not for sale, we can't buy them of course but can put your name on a waitlist. But for newly launched or existing IEMs, yes you can buy them on the showfloor, and most Can Jams provide a discount.

For the unreleased items at the show, I like the Binary Audio Dynaquattro, a 4DD IEM. The HIFIGO rep says it will likely go at $200 - 300 USD. Sounds warm neutralish, safe tuning, no shoutiness in the upper mids. Bass is textured and relatively nimble though with not the deepest sub-bass rumble. Timbre is very natural, with above average technicalities.

But this Dynaquattro is as hard to drive as my Final E5000. I was almost maxing out my Sony WM1A DAP and some dongles and it was still hungry for more juice. I suspect with a desktop level amp this IEM will shine.

Price and launch date TBC. Final tuning is not confirmed too.

Binary_Acoustics_Dynaquattro.jpg

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #98,678 of 103,890
For the unreleased items at the show, I like the Binary Audio Dynaquattro, a 4DD IEM. The HIFIGO rep says it will likely go at $200 - 300 USD. Sounds warm neutralish, safe tuning, no shoutiness in the upper mids. Bass is textured and relatively nimble though with not the deepest sub-bass rumble. Timbre is very natural, with above average technicalities.

But this Dynaquattro is as hard to drive as my Final E5000. I was almost maxing out my Sony WM1A DAP and some dongles and it was still hungry for more juice. I suspect with a desktop level amp this IEM will shine.

Price and launch date TBC. Final tuning is not confirmed too.

I really like how it looks. The look of the material, the engravings, the colour. Pricing also seems fine but I don't think I can handle too hard to drive stuff. I don't have any desktop source (neither do I intend to get one as my usage style doesn't really warrant em).

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #98,679 of 103,890
I was always into Sony headphones before i got into chi-fi stuff, but as far as chi-fi goes it was the Superlux HD-668B for overear headphones, and TRN V80 for IEMs.

All I remember was both had very harsh sibilance and I couldn't listen to them for long times. I had to do the toilet paper mod for the HD-668B.
Deja-vu time!! :)
That’s what I did as well! Actually I had a couple of thin foam pads from somewhere which I used to block highs. But let’s be honest - they sounded pretty good, concidering.. My next jump was Audeze 2c. Yeah...

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #98,680 of 103,890
I really like how it looks. The look of the material, the engravings, the colour. Pricing also seems fine but I don't think I can handle too hard to drive stuff. I don't have any desktop source (neither do I intend to get one as my usage style doesn't really warrant em).
I'm with you. I don't have any desktop gear and don't intend to unless I have a dedicated space in the future that my kids can be locked out of 😂

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #98,681 of 103,890
just found this DAP

NIPO N2​

The Shop

Attachments

• O1CN01CE28FW21P3rwsIHCF_!!690916976.jpg
    O1CN01CE28FW21P3rwsIHCF_!!690916976.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • New-NIPO-N2-Flagship-Portable-HiFi-128GB-0webp.jpg
    New-NIPO-N2-Flagship-Portable-HiFi-128GB-0webp.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
  • cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 12-10-15 3062.5US $ 20_ OFF New NIPO N2 Flagship Portable HiFi 128GB ...png
    Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 12-10-15 3062.5US $ 20_ OFF New NIPO N2 Flagship Portable HiFi 128GB ...png
    392.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #98,682 of 103,890
Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #98,683 of 103,890

1)There was a participant at Can Jam who brought his calabash gourd like DIY creation around his neck!

Hu Lu2.jpg

A lot of participants asked him about it, and he was very obliging to let us test out his DIY creation.

It has no name, but contains a single DD. It is quite large in terms of fit, with the IEM sticking out of the ears, but the tuning is actually very good. Huge soundstage (courtesy of the gourd), with very nice tonal balance.

Unfortunately he ain't selling it haha. I asked.

2) The Soranik Mems-3 from Vietnam was an eye-opener. This contains an xMEMs driver and 1 dd subwoofer. $2200 USD.

Sorianik_XMEMS.jpg

The xMEMS technology is very interesting, providing huge soundstage akin to an open backed headphone in an IEM. Imaging is superb with amplification.

The xMEMS driver does mids and treble very well, but needs a DD still for the bass, which is what the xMEMS driver in the Creative Aurvana Ace 2 TWS also does. Seems this driver still needs some bass reinforcement and can't be full range for now?

One potential deal breaker - this Mems-3 is downright the hardest IEM to drive I've ever encountered. It was hitting near 90% volume knob headroom on the provided Topping amp there LOL.

So this Soranik IEM needs its own energizer amp, which does affect portability. Definitely you can drive it off a weaker source, but driving to adequate volume is not the same as driving well, and the sound is anemic and undynamic if this IEM is underpowered.

THE APPLE DONGLE GANG WILL SURELY GNASH THEIR TEETH AND BANG THEIR HEADS ON THE WALL, BUT TRUST ME, THIS ONE CANNOT BE DRIVEN EVEN FROM MOST DONGLES AND DAPS.

Anyways, I think the xMEMS tech, like all new pioneer technology is kind of in its beta phase, even for the Creative TWS with this driver. It would take a few cycles of products (and a few months probably) to fine-tune these areas. But look forward to this technology maturing in the future - remember we are now enjoying the fruits of planar IEM tech, and now routinely see good sub$100 planar IEMs today.

3) The Eminent Ears Ruby is a Hong Kong based company, with their inaugural IEM containing 1DD, 4BA and 4EST.

Tuned quite technical, very resolving and on the brighter side. Decent timbre considering there are so many BAs.

I think it retails at $2.3K USD though!

Eminent ears Ruby (1).jpg

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #98,684 of 103,890
It's listed as to arrive at an online shop where I live with literature on it. 2,762.35 usd!

In case anyone interested in brochure description details of the product: https://conceptkart.com/blogs/news/nipo-n2-upcoming-flagship-es9039s-pro-portable-music-player
NiPO N2 adopts a fully discrete and feedback-free output circuit design that completely cuts off the transient intermodulation distortion caused by the induced electromotive force feedback“

This makes perfect sense if you read it in chief engineer Geordi LaForge’s voice from Star Trek The Next Generation.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #98,685 of 103,890
NiPO N2 adopts a fully discrete and feedback-free output circuit design that completely cuts off the transient intermodulation distortion caused by the induced electromotive force feedback“

This makes perfect sense if you read it in chief engineer Geordi LaForge’s voice from Star Trek The Next Generation.
Elementary, Dear Data!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back