The discovery thread!
Mar 24, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #97,742 of 103,338
Also, I appreciate the Buds 2; they're well tunned only needs more volume.

The TSMR-X is currently the one ai listen more, and wondering how they compare with CKLVX D41/SLIIVO, are these the same iem?
The CKLVX I think is the same as the Pula but the SLIIVO is slightly differently tuned. But I dunno...

The CKLVX is a well tuned iem. Very smooth and enjoyable with a slightly mid-centric focus compared to the X. The X is more extended in both the top and the bottom, and has a greater sense of openess ( and is a little less intimate). Overall I prefer the X, but when I listen to the CKLVX I am not thinking about it. The CKLVX is thoroughly enjoyable on its own, and was about 140usd vs. thx at 380ish.

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #97,743 of 103,338
It trades blow with U12t on anything that I index for. One advantage is that it does not have the strong 16kHz peak that sometimes creates the tizziness sensation of the U12t. But if you want your bass to be more “puffy” and maybe more “live performance” rather than studio, then U12t’s bass is better.

Very tip sensitive. If you use long tips to extend the nozzle, you will suffer the treble.

Oh, and very difficult to drive (6ohm, 84 or so dB/mW). U12t is still the most “user friendly” that can run from peanuts. Still, I run it with AFUL snowy night 90% of the time. It’s a bit better with DX300 + G5 combo.

Ironically, the U12t feels easy going next to the Crimson. The Gaea is still the most energetic one in my stable.

Edit: yes. It’s the perfection of the neutral with bass boost signature of Helios, unless you must have that 250Hz dip.

Thanks for the prompt and clear reply bro. I can clearly understand what you're saying by comparison with u12t.

Nope the 250hz dip is too much with Helios, just like variations, I prefer flat one on those frequencies range.

Btw I was waiting for singolo but seems like the 6khz have too much dip, maybe it will sounded less energetic, too safe or not bitey enough for me. HBB like to tune this way but for me, the lower treble details there will be washed out. Usually crin tunes this area just right, dunno what happen with singolo. Otherwise I just pick the Aful MagicOne, or maybe skip both.
Not sure, lately there are no new stuff that really grab my attention the unique MagicOne is quite different with their new tech plus I can't resist beautiful transparent shell, oh well those coming midfi IEMs are interesting.

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #97,744 of 103,338
Thanks for the prompt and clear reply bro. I can clearly understand what you're saying by comparison with u12t.

Nope the 250hz dip is too much with Helios, just like variations, I prefer flat one on those frequencies range.

Btw I was waiting for singolo but seems like the 6khz have too much dip, maybe it will sounded less energetic, too safe or not bitey enough for me. HBB like to tune this way but for me, the lower treble details there will be washed out. Usually crin tunes this area just right, dunno what happen with singolo. Otherwise I just pick the Aful MagicOne, or maybe skip both.
Not sure, lately there are no new stuff that really grab my attention the unique MagicOne is quite different with their new tech plus I can't resist beautiful transparent shell, oh well those coming midfi IEMs are interesting.
@o0genesis0o aful was launching a dd and ba iem, na? Any news?
Edit: remembered it was @Jaytiss who mentioned that.

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #97,745 of 103,338
Howdy folks,

My review of the AFUL Snowy Night is finally done. You can find it on my blog as well as on head-fi.

Conclusion​

Yes, yes. I have to admit: this article about Snowy Night was more gushing than criticizing. Trust me, I tried. Similarly to its sibling, the AFUL Magic One, I came into the review with cynicism and walked away in awe. This dongle handles everything I throw at it, from ultra-sensitive IEM to power hogs without breaking a sweat, whilst ensuring that the sweet sweet soundstage depth and layering are always there. The details that I want are there whilst the edginess that I don’t want is absent. And Snowy Night does all of this without burning through the battery of my phone or heating up in my pocket.

My conclusion: I bestow upon Snowy Night the highest honour that I can as an audio geek: giving it a new lighting-to-USB cable and a slot in my everyday carry audio box. Seal of approval and recommendation without reservation.

Absolute Sonic Quality Rating:
4.5/5 - Great

Bias Score: 5/5 - I love this.

What I like about this device:

• Truly neutral and natural tonal balance
  • Great stereo imaging
  • Detailed enough without being bright or edgy
  • Independent volume control that can get quiet enough for sensitive IEMs
  • Can handle high impedance and low sensitive gear
  • Good energy efficiency
  • Excellent USB cable provided
What could be improved:

• The device does not remember gain and filter settings, making adjusting these impractical.
SnowyNight_summary.jpg

Updated: March 24, 2024

Now that I have the change to carefully AB this dongle against the KA17 and Questyle M15, I can safely say that it is one of the best dongles out there. Unfortunately, I have not been able to borrow L&P W4 and RU7 for this review. But even if it is behind those two, it is still competitive due to how much cheaper it is.

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #97,746 of 103,338
@o0genesis0o aful was launching a dd and ba iem, na? Any news?
Edit: remembered it was @Jaytiss who mentioned that.
Mate, I'm not as VIP as @Jaytiss :dt880smile:

It seems all eyes are on Pilgrim at the moment. I haven't seen or heard anything about AFUL.

@DynamicEars : If I have the dough, I would grab Symphonium Crimson and Titan (because they are supposed to be a pair) and perhaps a HiBy R8II at home and I would be able to not upgrade for a while. Unless I win a lottery, then I'm getting a STORM :))

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #97,747 of 103,338
Now that I have the change to carefully AB this dongle against the KA17 and Questyle M15, I can safely say that it is one of the best dongles out there. Unfortunately, I have not been able to borrow L&P W4 and RU7 for this review. But even if it is behind those two, it is still competitive due to how much cheaper it is.
and don't forget the HIby FC6! Imo, the best out there! as @Leonarfd also would attest! (Your point about price stays of course)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #97,748 of 103,338
and don't forget the HIby FC6! Imo, the best out there! as @Leonarfd also would attest! (Your point about price stays of course)
HIBY FC6 is great imo, more on the analogue and rich side. So if your like me it's golden.
Just beware that it can at times pick up emi noise, but less than RU6. One way to solve it is a better shielded usb cable, or run it of your DAP 😜

1000031206.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #97,749 of 103,338
HIBY FC6 is great imo, more on the analogue and rich sound. So if your like me it's golden.
Just beware that it can at times pick up emi noise, but less than RU6. One way to solve it is a better shielded usb cable, or run it of your DAP 😜

Did you get a decent usbc to usb c cable? I have had issues with all such short cables thus far with the dongles. Currently, am using this: a L shaped thing from
iFi Audio - 90 Degree Type-C OTG Cable ( https://www.headphonezone.in/products/ifi-audio-90-degree-type-c-otg-cable )
It's holding up for now. Hope it continues to last! There was one decent short otg cable from DDHifi but it's out of stock where i live. Which one do you use?

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #97,750 of 103,338
I really don’t get the sustained TOTL status, that the Z1R still enjoys; I get that it's design was way ahead of it's time, 6ish years ago. And yes the Z1R has the best sub bass that I’ve experienced and an impressive, wide soundstage. But the Z1R is the definition of a sharp V shape, sound profile. In comparison to current trending IEMs, like the Penon 10th Anniversary, the vocals are severely recessed.

Even though I'm a professed basshead, I would still pick the Penon Anniv. over the Z1R, 90% of the time. And that 10% (for me) isn't worth the triple cost, of the Penon Anniv.

Sony IER Z1R vs Penon 10th.jpg
What cable do you use with 10th ?

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #97,751 of 103,338
Did you get a decent usbc to usb c cable? I have had issues with all such short cables thus far with the dongles. Currently, am using this: a L shaped thing from
iFi Audio - 90 Degree Type-C OTG Cable ( https://www.headphonezone.in/products/ifi-audio-90-degree-type-c-otg-cable )
It's holding up for now. Hope it continues to last! There was one decent short otg cable from DDHifi but it's out of stock where i live. Which one do you use?
Yeah I have a handmade cable from a vietnamese maker, very good but also not easy to buy. I also had good experience using a Ddhifi cable back when I had RU6.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #97,752 of 103,338
Haha kiddin, but the F1 Pro is really quite a decent sub-$100 USD planar IEM, just a tinge sibilant but does most other departments well. Planar IEMs were considered exotic creatures just 2 years back, and usually cost a pretty penny. It is really amazing we are seeing (and hearing) sub $100 planar IEMs weekly, and I don't mean those pseudo square planar stuff but legit planar driver IEMs.

As an aside, Are planars easier to EQ than DDs? As a EQ newbie, I find I can slap whatever amount of bass on my Sivga Nightingale planar (which admittedly went ape-sh!t with their sub-bass roll-off; it's not a roll-off but a deep dive) and it sounds excellent without affecting anything else. But with DDs I have to be lot careful. Of course my EQing skills are very novice-ish, should learn it more. But as an overaching point, does this point about planar hold or is Sivga just an exception?
And if it holds, why are planars more conducive to Eq?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #97,753 of 103,338
Ok, inlines of three favorite iems that you listen to. It depends on the day and the detail level I want.

Elysian Anniliator 2023
Fat Freq Grand Mystero
Gizaudio Chopin x Binary

I basically sold all my midfi sets as like... Chopin does it for me. Doesn't leave me hanging or sad.
Awesome sets, I bet, still need to hear all three, but especially the first two.

Ps. I'm terribly sorry for being the annoying one, but I have a thing for misspelled names, so just wanted to mention they're Annihilator and Grand Maestro, not Mystero. All just for clarity-sake 😄

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #97,754 of 103,338
Howdy folks,

My review of the AFUL Snowy Night is finally done. You can find it on my blog as well as on head-fi.

Conclusion​

Yes, yes. I have to admit: this article about Snowy Night was more gushing than criticizing. Trust me, I tried. Similarly to its sibling, the AFUL Magic One, I came into the review with cynicism and walked away in awe. This dongle handles everything I throw at it, from ultra-sensitive IEM to power hogs without breaking a sweat, whilst ensuring that the sweet sweet soundstage depth and layering are always there. The details that I want are there whilst the edginess that I don’t want is absent. And Snowy Night does all of this without burning through the battery of my phone or heating up in my pocket.

My conclusion: I bestow upon Snowy Night the highest honour that I can as an audio geek: giving it a new lighting-to-USB cable and a slot in my everyday carry audio box. Seal of approval and recommendation without reservation.

Absolute Sonic Quality Rating:
4.5/5 - Great

Bias Score: 5/5 - I love this.

What I like about this device:

• Truly neutral and natural tonal balance
  • Great stereo imaging
  • Detailed enough without being bright or edgy
  • Independent volume control that can get quiet enough for sensitive IEMs
  • Can handle high impedance and low sensitive gear
  • Good energy efficiency
  • Excellent USB cable provided
What could be improved:

• The device does not remember gain and filter settings, making adjusting these impractical.
SnowyNight_summary.jpg

Updated: March 24, 2024

Great review and pics! I was really hoping for a closeup pic of the shell of the Magic One and the Snowy Night since they share that little geometric design. 😉

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #97,755 of 103,338
HIBY FC6 is great imo, more on the analogue and rich sound. So if your like me it's golden.

1000031206.jpg
The fact that the FC6 only has 3.5mm port is criminal 😪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back