The discovery thread!
Mar 23, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #97,651 of 103,471
Guys, can you tell me how can I get in touch with Recode, from recode's squig?

https://recode.squig.link/?share=IEF_Comp_Target,tz700

graph (8).png

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #97,653 of 103,471
Find a deal on the DUNU Falcon Ultra cancel the Origin it gets outclassed by even the 500LM and certainly the F.U.
In my opinion. Also the Oriveti OD200 is like a better Origin with a nicer shell and accessories for less!
Waiting for my Himalaya to arrive.

I've got the Falcon Ultra and OD200 already. :)

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #97,654 of 103,471
It's a near 1000usd thing being sold at this price now? Whoaaa

Hmmmm....tempted!

You have a review of it @baskingshark ?

I think at its original $999 retail price that was way way overpriced. It probably competes at the $300ish USD range against modern day CHIFI hybrids.

AKG_N5005.jpeg

FWIW, the AKG N5005 has 4 tuning options via nozzles, so it is quite versatile, and can be tuned to something L-shaped all the way to a brighter tone. It is very technical on the brighter nozzles, a bit sterile sounding, with quite obvious BA timbre though. Brass instruments and woodwinds sound quite unnatural on this IEM, but I suppose if you are not particular about timbre, or listen to more genres with synthetic instruments, that's not a problem.

The brighter nozzles may be a bit shouty in the upper mids, so choose the tamer ones if you are part of the anti-pinna gain gang. This IEM is sub-bass focused (mid-bass scooped out), so those that want a huge mid-bass thump need to look elsewhere. It is also surprisingly quite hard to drive.

One bugbear is the AKG N5005's semi-proprietary MMCX connector, due to some cuff at the housing of the IEM, so not all aftermarket MMCX cables can fit inside. Accessories are otherwise awesome, comes with some cable adapters and a Bluetooth neck band too.

For $160 USD I would recommend it. Not at full price for sure.

Not much on this sale, ended up getting the Ddhifi 4.4-3.5mm adapter.

1000031267.png

I have one of these ddHIFI adapters, quite solid and it works as advertised. Though I think it makes the sound a tinge warmer if this adapter is used?

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #97,655 of 103,471
I have one of these ddHIFI adapters, quite solid and it works as advertised. Though I think it makes the sound a tinge warmer if this adapter is used?
Can be some added resistance in the unit? Would make some IEMs then warmer, if they change with impedance.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #97,656 of 103,471
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #97,657 of 103,471
Here's a review of the Letshuoer Cadenza 4: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-cadenza-4.27127/reviews#review-33341

This is a beryllium-coated DD + 2 Knowles BA + 1 Sonion BA hybrid - neutralish with a slight sub-bass boost, very uncoloured with good technical chops.

Cadenza 7.jpg

Pros:
Well accessorized, with modular cable and hard case
Solid build
Comfortable fitting
Relatively easy to drive
Good isolation
Very balanced neutralish signature, great for purists and neutral-heads
Transparent and clear midrange
Relatively smooth treble, with decent resolution
Excellent technicalities - especially in soundstage and imaging

Cons:
Not for bassheads
May not be "fun" sounding
Note weight on the thinner side

Letshuoer Cadenza 4.jpg

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #97,658 of 103,471
I think at its original $999 retail price that was way way overpriced. It probably competes at the $300ish USD range against modern day CHIFI hybrids.

AKG_N5005.jpeg

FWIW, the AKG N5005 has 4 tuning options via nozzles, so it is quite versatile, and can be tuned to something L-shaped all the way to a brighter tone. It is very technical on the brighter nozzles, a bit sterile sounding, with quite obvious BA timbre though. Brass instruments and woodwinds sound quite unnatural on this IEM, but I suppose if you are not particular about timbre, or listen to more genres with synthetic instruments, that's not a problem.

The brighter nozzles may be a bit shouty in the upper mids, so choose the tamer ones if you are part of the anti-pinna gain gang. This IEM is sub-bass focused (mid-bass scooped out), so those that want a huge mid-bass thump need to look elsewhere. It is also surprisingly quite hard to drive.

One bugbear is the AKG N5005's semi-proprietary MMCX connector, due to some cuff at the housing of the IEM, so not all aftermarket MMCX cables can fit inside. Accessories are otherwise awesome, comes with some cable adapters and a Bluetooth neck band too.

For $160 USD I would recommend it. Not at full price for sure.

Thanks for the detailed take.Will skip, then. The Indian in me jumped at that perceived deal! Also, never a fan of changing nozzles.

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #97,660 of 103,471
Keep em coming, 75 different IEMs mentioned so far 😮 will compile some data after the weekend 🫡

Since we are at end of March, would be fun to ask what is people's current 3 favorites that you own?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #97,662 of 103,471
1711023896179240.jpg
DSC_1302.jpegwqq.jpeg
DSC_1338.jpegqqqqq.jpeg
DSC_1332.jpeg4d.jpeg
Well...................this box arrived...no burn-in. Yet first impressions are amazing. I'm a little behind the curve in getting these, but I'm so happy I am getting a chance to experience the X. Big! The sound images are big and full-size. Really all you could ask for, I'm not wanting anything more from this musical experience?

While not quite the Penon 10th Anniversary experience, it is complementary? More cohesive and prim and proper here, even though there is kick-azz bass!

Fully itemized presentation with having everything fully accounted for and vibrant as heck? It's like looking through binoculars, or a polarized lens.............better yet polarized binoculars. Do they make those? Really, really clear and vivid. Wonderfull natural and separated, the separation that is adding a smooth style.

The style is that it has swagger........sway and swagger......the sound is walking? Like a cat walking and not caring about anything, because it knows what it is? Around here that walk is called pace........the pace is what is the strongest attribute I hear so far.............

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #97,663 of 103,471
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #97,664 of 103,471
Finally, the Verdandi landed for me. It has been a long wait, but completely worth it. been listening to these since over an hour now and just love the deliciously done bass and the massive staging(which has full 3D coverage). More impressions to follow after i listen to it for around 8-10 hours atleast. I am not able to do justice to the beauty of this set with my images :frowning2:

1.jpg

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #97,665 of 103,471
Friends. What have you bought at this Aliexpress Anniversary sale? What is the damage to the wallet?

Any worthwhile deals?

8k3l50.jpg
TRN.PNG
Penon Totem adapters,
Penon Liquor tips
Cayin RU7
SLIIVO SLT6
Total amount ~$670

Users who are viewing this thread

Back