The discovery thread!
Mar 21, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #97,516 of 103,531
New AüR Audio model is out soon, been shared only a few teasers. Codename A234. That number 2 look tastefully done for my bass cravings 😁

I love how more of the smaller manufactures are starting to make some bass oriented sets recently. I think the overwhelming popularity of the stuff from Fatfreq really is the proof in the pudding that there are more bass heads than not in the hobby. I'll be very interested to see Aur's take. They always seem to be a company that prefers to tune the mid-bass over the sub-bass which is fairly rare now-a-days. Keep in mind, I'm not very familiar with them although I see their sets literally everywhere. I have the Ascension at home right now courtesy of my buddy @ssantan2 which I'm hoping to get some more ear time tonight.
Today I borrowed the Letshuoer Cadenza 4 from @gadgetgod for a quick listen. Here are my initial impressions:
  1. The build is better compared to the previous DZ4 and S15. The finish is not rubbery, rather matte plastic. I was always paranoid that those rubbery finish will eventually trap dirt and become dirty.
  2. The fit is VERY comfortable. Snug fit, no discomfort, practically disappears. very satisfactory.
  3. The sound is dead neutral, done right. I am not a fan of neutral sound, sounds pretty lifeless to me. However, Letshuoer has managed to strike a balance with just the bare minimum amount of bass and the neutral mid and highs such that it does not feel hollow, and yet never feels thick. The sound is overall a bit on the thinner side. Even though the bass is quite audibly restrained, the subbass still reaches deep and it can be felt. The midbass is where I miss a bit of body. May be people with a taste for neutral sound will appreciate it more.
  4. The midrange is VERY transparent and highly detailed, and is utterly devoid of uncomfortable peaks. Really feel very refined and etheral, but lacks body.
  5. The treble is just sweet- clear, well-defined, extended, but not piercing. Just the way it is supposed to be.
  6. The soundstage is pretty big - wide and tall, but depth seems a bit less.
  7. Overall it is an outstanding interpretation of neutral sound done right. I really do not prefer this kind of sound, so it is not for me, but I cannot deny the very nice refinement I can hear throughout the spectrum.
IMG_20240321_155415.jpg
Thanks for the impressions on this set, I find them quite pretty if I'm honest. Unfortunately though, thinner sounding IEMs just ain't the jam anymore for me, I need some body!
Here's a review of the NiceHCK DB2, an ultra-budget hybrid: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-db2.27009/reviews#review-33327

DB2 4.jpg

Pros:
Well accessorized
Nice faceplates
Solid build
Ergonomic fit
Easily driven
Decent imaging
Relatively sibilant-free
Big sub-bass for a "fun" sounding signature

Cons:
Driver flex
Slight BA timbre
Bass lacks texture
Aggressive and shouty upper midrange
Lower mids are overly recessed
Treble rolls off early
Average soundstage, not too detailed

Graph here, 8 kHz is a coupler artefact:
NiceHCK DB2.jpg
What is up with NiceHCK and their shouty ass upper-mids tuning? So unrefined. I know they're probably tuning with the Eastern market in mind, possibly, but Jesus Christ

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #97,517 of 103,531
I love how more of the smaller manufactures are starting to make some bass oriented sets recently. I think the overwhelming popularity of the stuff from Fatfreq really is the proof in the pudding that there are more bass heads than not in the hobby. I'll be very interested to see Aur's take. They always seem to be a company that prefers to tune the mid-bass over the sub-bass which is fairly rare now-a-days. Keep in mind, I'm not very familiar with them although I see their sets literally everywhere. I have the Ascension at home right now courtesy of my buddy @ssantan2 which I'm hoping to get some more ear time tonight.

Thanks for the impressions on this set, I find them quite pretty if I'm honest. Unfortunately though, thinner sounding IEMs just ain't the jam anymore for me, I need some body!

What is up with NiceHCK and their shouty ass upper-mids tuning? So unrefined. I know they're probably tuning with the Eastern market in mind, possibly, but Jesus Christ
Asked them long ago to maybe make a set either more V shaped or just have more bass focus, as its many of us who crave bass.

Enjoy Ascension, one of my favorites. Sort of Audiophile refined tuning imo, but understand it might not be for everyone 👍

Right now I'm working in Kinera Verdandi review, but after that I'll finish my AüR Audio Alita review that I started last summer 😂

1000030116.jpg

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #97,518 of 103,531
Asked them long ago to maybe make a set either more V shaped or just have more bass focus, as its many of us who crave bass.

Enjoy Ascension, one of my favorites. Sort of Audiophile refined tuning imo, but understand it might not be for everyone 👍

Right now I'm working in Kinera Verdandi review, but after that I'll finish my AüR Audio Alita review that I started last summer 😂

1000030116.jpg
When are you starting that YouTube channel?

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #97,519 of 103,531
When are you starting that YouTube channel?
Soon. tried making trial video last weekend, need to fix a few things and learn video editing 🫣
And be prepared for Norwenglish 😂

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #97,521 of 103,531

I feel like V-Shaped sets get a bad wrap in the hobby, when they're done right, there is no denying that they're as fun as can be. First set that comes to mind is the OG Timeless, that thing was so popular and I bet it could still trade blows with some sets that are being released today in certain aspects.

the first impression of the Ascension wasn't the most positive but I'm sticking with it for sure, I haven't written them off quite yet!

LOL Good luck on that review, brother, you weren't kidding when you said you'd take your time! :)

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #97,522 of 103,531
Digital EQ is not an inherently lossy process. Most would not alter the data even one bit if set to on without settings. Your brain is playing tricks on your ears.

Hell, I can't find one single set of transducers in the world that DSP can't improve on, loudspeaker or earphones, so I guess I would find the sound mystically inferior, whenever I see the EQ button off, even if nothing's been dialed in for the EQ yet? 😆

The main reason for that is the high Q resonance peaks found on almost all IEMs above 4kHz (which may or may not show up in coupler measurements which have smoothing applied to them). Which physical mods can in most cases do nothing about, unless you can live with a long cork of foam in your nozzles together with foam eartips to make sure that no sound waves bounce back. And then, good luck getting a good tonal balance from such a configuration without EQ 😆

Of course, one cannot use EQ to negate such resonances, unless one knows how to listen for and tune them out via interactive tone generator testing, so maybe this doesn't apply to most people.

(the above are personal opinions only, not representing that of any company)
Thanks! I should try to get into the EQ world and see if I can do a decent job of it. As things stands now, JamesrootDsp and your dynamics stuff itself is doing strange (imaginary?!) things to my ears!

Your 'limit bias' is most apparent now (for me that is) on the CCA Trio. I know you mentioned that it was supposed to mirror tube-amp stuff but since I have never heard any tubes, to my ears, it sounds somewhat like what Hiby FC6 does; lusher, softer?

Anyway interesting.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #97,523 of 103,531
Trio arrived in the afternoon. Few hours into it, Very good!

I settled on 'down up up down' . To my ears, in metal music on this setting, less of bleed , more clarity and guitar stuff shines.

That could just be my preference, Overall though, Much more spacious than I anticipated. Busy music too doesn't get congested too easily, the stage is pretty decent! Has the required sauce in the clean and open mids; played vocals pretty well.

@FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 you got a winner at this price! V happy with both the Bassilicious castor and the more refined Trio. Yay!

Interesting graph!

1000059372.jpg

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #97,524 of 103,531
For those who have heard both -

Dunu Falcon Ultra vs Cadenza 4 as an every day carry / all rounder?

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #97,525 of 103,531
For those who have heard both -

Dunu Falcon Ultra vs Cadenza 4 as an every day carry / all rounder?
Man both the sets serve different purposes as per me. I love the details of C4, but then the Timbre and that richness of Falcon Ultra is on another level.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #97,526 of 103,531
Man both the sets serve different purposes as per me. I love the details of C4, but then the Timbre and that richness of Falcon Ultra is on another level.
If you had to choose!

I need to stop bringing my Sza everywhere lol.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #97,527 of 103,531
Cycled through some IEMs collecting dust last night. Now a days, Moondrop gets a decent amount of hate. I will also acknowledge that the Moondrop Variations, depending on the unit received, could have some...... variations in frequency response. Long story short, still find the Variations to be an incredible IEM. Maybe out-valued by newer models in 2024 but has a great sound. I, for one, hope that Moondrop gets back to the level they were at a few years prior. Yes, they have had a few good releases here and there (Chu 2). I will be purchasing and waiting for a decade to receive the Dusk 2. It is easy to be cynical and/or critical of a brand/collab. More high value/quality products and innovation will only benefit us in the long run.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #97,528 of 103,531
If you had to choose!

I need to stop bringing my Sza everywhere lol.
You are asking the wrong person here then lol. I am the kind of a person who can just never be satisfied with a single product. I get bored and then i look for other options lol.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #97,530 of 103,531

Users who are viewing this thread

Back