The discovery thread!
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #97,398 of 103,504
1000018059.jpg

I like a discounted price as much as the next guy but come on. There's no way these actually sell for $525 right?

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #97,399 of 103,504
Look at tip rolling and updating your source before cables.

To reduce bass; use wide bore tips like Clarion Tri/Divinus Velvet.
thanks everyone for the replies re: Hype2 bass and mids. There were two primary suggestions:

1) tip roll: I should have mentioned this. I tried on the Hype2 the supplied tips. Then, I ordered and have tried Tri Clarion, Spinfit W1, Final Audio E type, Penon Liqueur Orange, Med and Wide tips supplied with Olina SE, Med and Wide tips supplied with Simgot MT3, BGVP A07, and a wide bore sold by Radio Shack 3 years ago. Turns out the Thieaudio's supplied tips are A07, so that was redundant. I ended up with the Tri Clarion. I don't mind the supplied A07, but for my ear the Tri Clarions actually fit more comfortably. Unfortunately they didn't seem to reduce bass any.

** edit ** I tried one more time with all the tips mentioned above now that my Canon 2 is on the way. I intend to keep the one I like better and sell the other. . and well, what do you know, the Penon Liqueur Orange tips did the trick. Bass is reduced somewhat, and everything sounds right to me. With one exception... I have 2k eq up 2db. That is simply a personal preference, as I like vocals to be clear and forward in the mix.

2) get a dongle. This is more complicated. I've gone down the road of DAC, amp, and DAP 15 years ago, and it seemed like a never ending sinkhole of iterations and distractions. So I determined two years ago when I got into IEM and away from my HD600 (which I found bass shy even through an amp) to find the best sound to my ear from a more basic setup... Apple DAC, period. I would think differently if three different reviewers I respect, including Crinacle, had not all said the Apple DAC, whether dongle or in the MB Air, is accurate, low noise, and just plain fine for almost all IEMs ... unless i have high rez music. Which I don't. I have Spotify premium.

So, thanks everyone for the suggestions. It was a brief moment of irrational thinking that in my basic environment, a cable could be used as a tone control. Wishful thinking. I am quite open to placebo, but eventually scientific thinking takes over in me and I realize that no, I'd rather not live in a world governed by fanciful, undisciplined thinking.

PS: I have ordered two cables for aesthetic reasons -- I find the cables that came with my Olina OG and Olina SE to be hard, wiry, tangly and irritating. I ordered with the help of a very nice gentleman on this Forum, via several private chats, a SilverCat, and a FirstTouch both from NICEhck.

I'm very curious which I will prefer between these Hype2 with the tips that work for me now, and the Canon 2. Canon 2 already has more forward and clear mids without needing to EQ based on several A/B sound clips I've heard. So it will be interesting.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #97,400 of 103,504
I didn't bully them. I just provided my honest feedback. Still would never buy that thing at $400, unless they retuned and refined it a lot more.

Good luck to anyone buying it. Hope they change it by the time of release.
Say it like it is, brother! I think we all can appreciate the honesty.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #97,401 of 103,504
I have a unit on the way. Will share that comparison when I receive the IEM.
That's exciting. @baskingshark also put up some impressions, which I honestly am interested in. I wouldn't buy that set, I don't need it in the slightest, but I think honesty is key at this point in the hobby. I haven't been too keen on how Crin has been handling his popularity lately, so this set, at least for me, is make or break in terms of my trust in him.

Looking forward to your impressions!

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #97,402 of 103,504
After a good while of not buying budget iems I've caved in and ordered the Trio!
Needed to add a cable as well to get the price up to a discount code!
Should look nice with the Trio
Hard work and resistance to the budget section of the hobby paid off for you! congrats on the new shiny and that cable looks stunning. Make sure you share you listening impressions once you get them :)
I got one coming for review soon. I'm very excited to see that tube technology at play in the Singolo
Nice, I can't wait for more impressions of this set. If it ends up on Amazon in the US, I may or may not snag a pair. The return function of Amazon is... quite nice.
Another review....................
Alright, I can't lie. That's a really nice photo.
I found the Timsok real value for the price ($450). Name your value iems above $300.
I thought the Timsok was also quite nice. It had a really interesting sound about it, slightly more metallic and sharp but in the best way possible, even though those two words used as adjectives in this hobby are usually a bad thing. The transients were super snappy, and the bass had a depth to it's quality that was quite nice with the daft punk songs in my library. Not sure if they're worth the money, but I must say, they are fairly unique sounding.
OnePlus Buds 3
How's the fit on these bad boys, dude? I'm in the market for a new TWS with ANC, the Moondrop Space Travel was meant to get the job done for me but the damn fit is impossible for my ears.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #97,404 of 103,504
How's the fit on these bad boys, dude? I'm in the market for a new TWS with ANC, the Moondrop Space Travel was meant to get the job done for me but the damn fit is impossible for my ears.
Similar to Apple Buds Pro, so for me quite good.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #97,405 of 103,504
1000018059.jpg

I like a discounted price as much as the next guy but come on. There's no way these actually sell for $525 right?
You can check on a third-party price tracking site like pricearchive.org. According to that, most of the time it's been around $300, with periodic dips to $70-80, and the most recent low price of $69.30 on June 19, 2023. It was briefly over $500 on Jan 2, 2023.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #97,407 of 103,504

Oriolus Szalayi is an iem I am still circling. It is in that Twilight price range. I asked for some comparison input from the folks at Musictek. Has anyone compared the Szalayi with the Twilight or any of the Thieaudio iems, or others for that matter?​

I have heard the Hype 2, and Sza is my favorite current headphone. You can check the rest of my IEMs in the sig.

Hype 2 - from my memory, neutral with a large bass boost, but the bass is not well controlled. Mostly sterile mid and highs, it was a decent listen for the price asked.

Sza - large, well controlled bass. I like to describe it as “classy basshead”. Full, thick mids, excellent vocals. The treble / details are maybe the one thing it’s “just okay” at but it’s nothing to sneeze at either. It’s a very musical IEM, warm and relaxed. My definition of “allrounder” is something I can use with everything in my library, and it fills that slot in my collection.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #97,408 of 103,504

Oriolus Szalayi is an iem I am still circling. It is in that Twilight price range. I asked for some comparison input from the folks at Musictek. Has anyone compared the Szalayi with the Twilight or any of the Thieaudio iems, or others for that matter?​

I had the Szalayi for a good period of time. It is surely an amazing set with one of the strongest bass out there. I never got a chance to compare them head to head, but today i own Twilight and Hype10 and I am a happy man.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #97,409 of 103,504
You can check on a third-party price tracking site like pricearchive.org. According to that, most of the time it's been around $300, with periodic dips to $70-80, and the most recent low price of $69.30 on June 19, 2023. It was briefly over $500 on Jan 2, 2023.
It's almost correct because NiceHCK keeps high prices, but reduces them by coupons. Thus the real price can be not $300 but $120 if NiceHCK offers $180 coupon. It's usual practice of NiceHCK.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #97,410 of 103,504
Man I'd be pissed if I paid $300 lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back