The discovery thread!
Mar 18, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #97,336 of 102,995
Anyone knows if this cable is any good?

1710781669614.png

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #97,337 of 102,995
it's best to add the item to your cart
If you add to the cart (I have a hundred items in my cart :) ), it's going to be the same.
The price will change, and you won't know again unless you memorize all the prices.
Hmm, I don't have any will to do so :)
I save (screen capture items that I want) items in a folder so I know if the discount is real or not.
This blind shooting...no way! :)

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #97,338 of 102,995
You should try the Silvercat from Nicehck. One of my favorites.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #97,339 of 102,995
You should try the Silvercat from Nicehck. One of my favorites.
i have heard good things, maybe ill throw those in. was thinking about the snowcat too.

in non cable discoveries,

more Pilgrim details from the cooler

Thank you, guys, for the entire Pilgrim discussion. Please keep it coming.

To clarify a few things that I can talk about:

1. Yes, the Pilgrim is part of Elysian's new relationship with Effect Audio.
  2. We are helping with marketing, scaling up the manufacturing process, and QC to prepare for the demand.
  3. Yes, the Pilgrim will be available at Musicteck.
  4. It will launch sometime in May.
  5. The final price point will be $399, adjusted once more from the $499 at the show.
  6. There will be "other things" coming from Elysian this year that we can't talk about yet, and they're coming sooner than you think.
  7. Your feedback is being noted. We are unsure if it will go through one more retune or if what you heard at the show was final.
  8. Leo's comments about build changes and cable were correct; those are being finalized now.
If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll hopefully be able to clarify them as I am able to say more.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...n-first-page-all-welcome.957426/post-18026352

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #97,341 of 102,995
Discovery thread newbie here wondering if anyone is a big classical music listener and if so what mid-fi price range iems have been enjoyable for you??
Currently on the war path figuring what to go for next…
Penon Quattro. Period.

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #97,342 of 102,995
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #97,343 of 102,995
For price trends on AE, take some help from AliPrice Tracker.
I use it as a Chrome extension, so I can rate each item.
At least you will find out if there is a price surge, or if there is actually a more or less valid discount.

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #97,344 of 102,995
The best thing about Hype2 is the dual woofers, the rest is limited by the driver topology. I imagine you would feel quite a let down when swapping from Oracle 2 to Hype2, if you look at the mid and the highs and the tech. Now, whether the bass is better "enough" with Hype2, I don't know because I haven't tried Oracle2.
question re this -- I have Hype2, and the way I play, which is through Apple dongle or MB Air jack, the bass on Hype2 is a little flab by... I have it eq down 2db at 64 and one db. at 125. I also find the mids slightly boring. Has anyone tried different cables on Hype2 to see if bass tightens, or mids get more forward?

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #97,345 of 102,995
question re this -- I have Hype2, and the way I play, which is through Apple dongle or MB Air jack, the bass on Hype2 is a little flab by... I have it eq down 2db at 64 and one db. at 125. I also find the mids slightly boring. Has anyone tried different cables on Hype2 to see if bass tightens, or mids get more forward?
Look at tip rolling and updating your source before cables.

To reduce bass; use wide bore tips like Clarion Tri/Divinus Velvet.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #97,347 of 102,995
Mar 18, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #97,348 of 102,995

Maybe @Dsnuts and @Redcarmoose can chime in. I say the 8W Ares cable might (very very might) be able to do something. I recommend getting some new ear tips at various sizes instead. Ideally something wide and short due to the nozzle structure of hype2.

For the mid, I don’t know how to help. Maybe if the bass is right and the treble extension comes through, it would be less boring?

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #97,349 of 102,995
Is anyone picking up anything for the Aliexpress Anniversary sale?

I have the CCA Trio on the way but I'm not sure if I should get an Artti R1. Does anyone know if the R1 is an upgrade over the Trio or would it be more of a side grade?

Might pick up an EPZ Q1 Pro just as a beater based on TDM's review
The CCA Trio is the quintessential ALL-AROUNDER. You will be absolutely hard pressed to find another IEM, either it be in it's price bracket, or up to $100, where you can definitively say this thing can handle a swath of genres like a champ. Now, if you're a stickler for top end resolution as a necessity to declare it a true "all arounder", then you'll find fault in my words, but if you're ok with really good resolution, and pretty good mid bass kick, but not truly punchy, then yes, you will find gospel in my description, and join me that the Trio is going to treat your entire library, regardless of genre, very professionally and adeptly.

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #97,350 of 102,995

Hard to believe it's 89% off.
This is common to see all year...

Cheers!

Yeah I ignore that and focus on the price. It’s currently $43.78 before tax, which is a decent price. It’s a good cable if you’ve read the impressions posted all over HF and know what sonic changes to expect. I paid about $20 more for it at a sale almost a year ago and its price has come down steadily.

Discovery thread newbie here wondering if anyone is a big classical music listener and if so what mid-fi price range iems have been enjoyable for you??
Currently on the war path figuring what to go for next…

Penon Quattro. Period.

+1. Timbre kings and an easy rec for classical or anything with acoustic instruments and prioritising musicality, unless you want your violins hyper detailed and energetic or something. I posted my early impressions here and looking back at them with the Quattro in my ears right now, the impressions still stand.

Btw sharing this deal, crossposted on cheap*ss cable thread:

2 pretty sweet looking mystery bag deals for 7N cables from NiceHCK. Fairly sure from the description that they are Sakura and 7NBEE. The cables have been around some time so there are impressions elsewhere on the interwebs if one cares to look.

Pink cable
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005006713552834.html
Code: 328PINK
Starting from $16.99

Gold cable
https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005006713717535.html
Code: 328GOLD
Starting from $22.99

I’ve nothing to do with them, apart from being really pleased with the GoldCrown from the deal I posted about last time, so am taking a punt on these as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back