The discovery thread!
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #96,721 of 102,993
I realize that the response graph is all you have to go on, though I normally don’t give the graph that much power to qualify or disqualify an IEM. I mean it’s only a graph?
Graphs are easy to learn hard to master thingy. Once you spent too long with graph and read and write (measure), you'll at some point have very close perception between graph and tonality. Especially when you are playing with EQ, boost up 30hz +5db and hear with your favorite song, what sit there, boost up 1000hz and listen what the changes, for every major frequencies. I don't know but after years (actually I'm one of early adopter of this rig, not long time after crinacle before squig was created and before lot of reviewer have the measurement rigs) the FR is more like a tonality cue to compare from 1 IEM with another. It can roughly tell you like 70% how it sound, on the tonality and tuning mostly but can't tell you the rest like how tight is the bass, is it dampened or not, is it have ringing or trails of the transients (and how much), or the depth of the soundstage, nor the imaging and layering. But the proportion of frequencies are there. I just write in KZ thread too about this as response to KZ rep.
It's more like synopsis of the movie, where we can read and know roughly what kind of movie is this before we decided to buy the ticket but all the fun, action, twist, jumpscare, etc aren't showed there. More like a pre filter before we spend the money, not everyone can buy every IEM release.
That’s cool to have that much confidence about graph interpretation, I don’t but to each his own.
Just came up with this idea below about explaining graphs' significance and I'm deeply intrigued to hear if you guys (everyone, not just the two I'm quoting) agree with my best-up-to-date example of trying to explain graphs' significance.

Graphs are like lines of notes. Sure, you can learn to read those notes and hence figure out the melodical progression of the song. However, is that where the song's complexity ends? Is that the only thing that forms the song that's hiding behind these notes? Certainly not. Which instruments are playing? Vocals too? Male or female? How loud is each instrument playing? Where is it positioned? How is it captured in the recording? What sort of post-production has been done? List goes on. Very similar to graphs and their correspondence to the final produced sound of the IEMs, no?
Then, of course, to spice things up further and add another line of subjectivity, our perceived impression of the produced sound is a whole other subject we're still unable to tackle methodologically.

I want to say tomorrow 11 pm gmt. My guess is some reviews or something will drop tomorrow hyping it.
And some necessary Simgot hate from one certain person.

My experience contrasts yours. During my first year, I was reluctant to spend over $75. Then I got a one way ticket, on the JVC HA-FD01 hype train.

While it’s true that I buy less products now, one mid-fi IEM costs as much as three or more less expensive units.
True. That could be the other way in. Multiple ways to approach this hobby, no right and wrong.

What I actually meant to say was first year is the most expensive due to high probability of plenty of sets being a shot in the dark and a miss. Figuring out your preferences is not cheap unless you have access to demo units.

Arguably, once you know what you like and really want to achieve, nothing is expensive, it just takes longer to save up for some sets than others.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #96,722 of 102,993
Let me preface by saying I haven't heard the Neo 3, but I think the Fan 2 is excellent and sounds like it would work great for the genres you listen to. It's a special iem as it has a unique tuning I haven't found elsewhere.
FAN2 for the win I agree 👍

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #96,723 of 102,993
Just came up with this idea below about explaining graphs' significance and I'm deeply intrigued to hear if you guys (everyone, not just the two I'm quoting) agree with my best-up-to-date example of trying to explain graphs' significance.

Graphs are like lines of notes. Sure, you can learn to read those notes and hence figure out the melodical progression of the song. However, is that where the song's complexity ends? Is that the only thing that forms the song that's hiding behind these notes? Certainly not. Which instruments are playing? Vocals too? Male or female? How loud is each instrument playing? Where is it positioned? How is it captured in the recording? What sort of post-production has been done? List goes on. Very similar to graphs and their correspondence to the final produced sound of the IEMs, no?
Then, of course, to spice things up further and add another line of subjectivity, our perceived impression of the produced sound is a whole other subject we're still unable to tackle methodologically.

And some necessary Simgot hate from one certain person.

True. That could be the other way in. Multiple ways to approach this hobby, no right and wrong.

What I actually meant to say was first year is the most expensive due to high probability of plenty of sets being a shot in the dark and a miss. Figuring out your preferences is not cheap unless you have access to demo units.

Arguably, once you know what you like and really want to achieve, nothing is expensive, it just takes longer to save up for some sets than others.
Very well said! There are so many factors and nuances that make up a song. The graph can't give all that information.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #96,724 of 102,993

Yep, kind of my story. Also buying lot of cheap (ahem KZ ahem) IEM does not help.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #96,726 of 102,993
I posted this in the ISN Neo 3 thread, but I thought it might get some response here, too. Apologies if double-dipping isn't cool:

OK, Penon/ISN aficionados: I need some advice. I'm truly torn between the Penon Fan 2 and the ISN Neo 3. I have Penon coupons for both, so the price difference is only $20-30. Negligible.

I put musicality, tone and timbre above the last bit of technical detail and imaging. I like a warm-neutral sound. I don't need a warm blanket of constant sub-bass, but I like to feel mid-bass hits. The bass should be prominent when called upon by the track. I like clear, present mids but can't stand the upper-mids vocal shout of the Harman curve. Treble can be detailed but a bit of top-end roll-off is fine, almost needed. I loathe sibilance or cold treble in every way.

My preferred styles of music are rock, classic rock, alternative rock, alt-country, Americana, bluegrass, with a smidge of hip-hop, hard bop jazz and progressive house EDM. Nearly all of my listening will be done at desktop through a JDS Labs Atom+ stack.

Which of these two apparently great IEMs would work best for me, the Fan 2 or Neo 3?

Thanks!
I would say you want the Fan 2 from what you’ve written in the third paragraph. I am not sold on Neo 3 at all😬

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #96,727 of 102,993
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #96,728 of 102,993
My vote for Fan2... But seriously needs a cable upgrade. Ergonomics and noise-wise it is bad plus it is lower quality of signal transmission. I went with the Tripowin and even single ended vs. the balanced stock restores resolution and extension and requires less volume. Most importantly the drivers reach more of their potential. It is thicker and richer stock but the improved layering and separation of elements ups the musicality and tone and timbre.

IMG_2667.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #96,729 of 102,993
Very well said! There are so many factors and nuances that make up a song. The graph can't give all that information.
The more I study graphs and the more I study iems I feel that they just tell a story of the iem. A lot of people crap on the 711 coupler but I think it gives great data and is a valuable tool to the hobby.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #96,730 of 102,993
Neo 3 is very similar and may actually work better for some people due to the weird nozzle design on the FAN2. But I agree that if you can get a good fit on both the FAN2 has the edge. It’s a little richer sounding.
And this was the biggest reason why I mentioned NEO3. Fitment is everything in this hobby. Especially when you plan on using an IEM for longer periods of time.

I think Penon learned a thing or two with the release of the Fan2. I doubt they will ever make another IEM with that same nozzle design. It was the number one complaint for the IEM. Otherwise the sound is clearly a favorite among headfiers that like a richer musical sound. This being said if you can fit most IEMs in your ears you shouldn't have any issue with the fitment of the Fan2.

I think either one will suit him just fine. Fan2 been around longer than NEO3 so more folks will have them. I agree its a more richer sounding IEM but so can the NEO3 on the right source.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #96,731 of 102,993
** Cross post from Simgot thread, because I thought this one is actually really good and deserve the praise it is getting.

Here it goes guys, some adventure over this great IEM.

First of all... Thanks @Damz87 and Simgot to make the Australian tour happen.

Simgot EA-1000 "Fermat": A Deep Dive into Innovation

IMG_0533.jpeg

Portable world is spilling innovation and experimentation on an crazy level in recent years. Constantly pushing boundaries in the pursuit of the next best sonic experience. This product names are also being infected by this innovation seeking. How Simgot got to EA 1000 "Fermat" name, it's still a mystery to me, but hey… have you seen other products names around?

But I much prefer the lore and character chose for this IEM than the usual waifu going around the Chi-fi world. Feels like they actually put some thought into creating this IEM and everything around it.

IMG_0536.jpeg

Back to Science and what makes this thing interesting…. This one has a unique blend of design and technology. I will go through them quickly and will go through that fun round of sonic impressions using traditional Metal songs from the brutal riffs of Death to the soaring vocals of Ronnie James Dio and some lesser-known bands that are good to check them out.

A lesson on how to innovate without a price tag:

The EA-1000 boasts a sleek and sophisticated design, with a lightweight, ergonomic form factor crafted from shinny Chrome metal. This ensures a comfortable fit, even for extended listening sessions, and durability. But the true innovation lies within. Here are some key features that set the EA-1000 apart:

• 2nd Generation Dual-Magnet Dual-Cavity Dynamic Driver (DMDC)with Sputter Deposition Purple-Gold Diaphragm Technology (SDPGD Technology): Mate, what a mouthful name for a DD, but this big name is actually doing something beautiful to the sound signature of this IEM. Simgot promises that the Purple-Gold diaphragm helps pushing deep bass while the DMDC design enhances dynamic range, transient response, and widens the frequency range. I think they delivered what they promised. This driver plays a crucial role in delivering a natural and detailed sound, while throuwing deep rumble bass.
  • Passive Radiator: a 6mm passive radiator is also integrated in this design. This thing is playing some miracle on the signature's soundstage and extensions. Really noticeable the effect of this driver.
IMG_0521.jpeg

• Three Tuning Nozzles: Simgot provides three sets of interchangeable tuning nozzles with the EA-1000. These nozzles subtly alter the sound signature, allowing listeners to tailor the IEMs to their preferences. We'll explore the impact of these nozzles further in the "Sound Characteristics" section.
IMG_0539.jpeg

Jumping into what it matters:

Alright, let's delve into the heart of this impressions: how does the SimGOAT EA-1000 really sound? As usual, I'll use some songs that I love and can represent well the capabilities of this shinny beast.

Lower: Head crushing

For our journey into the low end, let's start with the end with legendary metal band, Death. In tracks like "Symbolic" and "The Philosopher," the EA-1000 delivers impactful and controlled bass. The rumble of the kick drum is there and authoritative without overwhelming the rest of the instrumentation. It can be somewhat palpable. This allows the intricate bass lines to shine through, providing a solid foundation for sound signature.

IMG_0527.jpeg

Mids: A Stage for Vocals and More

Moving into the midrange, let's explore the iconic vocals of Ronnie James Dio 🤘🏽, both in his solo career and his time with Heaven and Hell. The EA-1000 excels in this area, rendering Dio's powerful voice with remarkable clarity and presence. Every nuance and inflection are faithfully reproduced (as far as I can tell from what I expect from his voice), allowing listeners to connect with the emotional intensity of his performances. Additionally, instruments like guitars and keyboards occupy their own space within the mix, maintaining their distinct timbre and texture. Not everything is perfect, in some specific cases lower mids may sound a bit thin for some. That didn't bother me.

IMG_0490.jpeg

Upper: A Smooth Criminal

The treble response of the EA-1000 deserves careful consideration. It leans towards the neutral side, avoiding excessive brightness or sibilance. This ensures cymbals and percussion instruments retain their shimmer and definition without becoming fatiguing during extended listening sessions. 3D soundtracks, like those found in video games and certain movies, benefit from this balanced treble response, creating a natural and immersive sonic environment. But again, not all is perfect, I found that on Fire In The Distance's album Air Not Meant For Us, the treble sounded a bit grainy. Issue easily sorted with a Cardas Clear or EA Code 24c or Ares S+Cadmus 8w cables.

IMG_0491.jpeg

Tuning the Experience (or better saying, expectations):

The three included tuning nozzles play a significant role in tailoring the sound signature of the EA-1000. I prefer to say that these modules are more of an expectation tuner. For a $200 IEM that doesn't want to please everyone, this kind of added feature is actually the best way to reach further grounds.

• Silver Nozzle: This nozzle delivers the most balanced and neutral sound signature, ideal for those who prefer a pure and uncolored listening experience.
  • Gold Nozzle: This nozzle adds a touch of warmth and fullness to the sound, particularly noticeable in the midrange. This can be beneficial for genres like classic rock and acoustic music.
  • Black Nozzle: This nozzle offers a slightly brighter character, emphasizing the treble frequencies. This might appeal to listeners who enjoy a modern, crisp sonic presentation, particularly for electronic music and certain pop genres.

The Last Note:

The Simgot EA-1000 "Fermat" represents an interesting achievement for audiophiles seeking innovative technology and a captivating listening experience, for a fair price. When I mean fair price I can heartfully say that this beats some well praised under $1k IEMs (wink Aurists) for my tastes. Its ergonomic design, unique driver configuration, and three included tuning nozzles offer a level of customization that is really appealing at this price. But aside from the physical achievements, what Simgot got with the sound profile and technicalities is something to take the hat off. While it may not be the silver bullet we all seek, it does what it purposes really well.

Well done, Simgot. You deserve the praise you have been receiving.

PS.: The upgrade cable may be worth a try, but you can also find good alternatives in this price range.

IMG_0528.jpeg

---- Picture Dump because this one is quite photogenic ----

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0487.jpeg
They were decent. A good IEM if you like details, but to be honest, if you're a details person, you can get the CCA Trio, and it's just as good for details as the EA1000. Now it's a more refined approach than the Trio, but I ended up keeping the OD200. I like the stage and imaging much more than the EA1000. EA is still pretty good though. Solid performer.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #96,732 of 102,993
And this was the biggest reason why I mentioned NEO3. Fitment is everything in this hobby. Especially when you plan on using an IEM for longer periods of time.

I think Penon learned a thing or two with the release of the Fan2. I doubt they will ever make another IEM with that same nozzle design. It was the number one complaint for the IEM. Otherwise the sound is clearly a favorite among headfiers that like a richer musical sound. This being said if you can fit most IEMs in your ears you shouldn't have any issue with the fitment of the Fan2.

I think either one will suit him just fine. Fan2 been around longer than NEO3 so more folks will have them. I agree its a more richer sounding IEM but so can the NEO3 on the right source.

I guess I’m lucky because the Fan2 fits me perfectly. They want to insert a lot deeper than the typical set and that actually does impact the sound. Overall I think we agree that they’re very comparable sets. Both above average and very capable. The NEO3 is a total home run for ISN.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #96,733 of 102,993
The more I study graphs and the more I study iems I feel that they just tell a story of the iem. A lot of people crap on the 711 coupler but I think it gives great data and is a valuable tool to the hobby.
Blame the readers (and cult of scientific materialism, but that’s a story for another time), not the tool itself, I say. Being able to see the tonal balance is such a useful tool to test and tune IEM (for noobs like myself, it means EQ)

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #96,735 of 102,993

Users who are viewing this thread

Back