The discovery thread!
Mar 1, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #96,406 of 102,974
The Letshuoer Cadenza 4 is a 3 BA + 1 DD hybrid, comprised of 2 Knowles BA and 1 Sonion BA, plus a 10 mm beryllium DD.

It has Letshuoer's classic Fisher Price resinish finish that is very comfortable and light.

Cadenza 4.jpeg

Comes well accessorized with a modular cable, hard round case and an array of eartips.

Cadenza 4 2.jpeg

This IEM will be eargasmic to measurebators on graphs, but on actual listening, it is also really superb tonally. Instead of the usual Harman sidegrade spam we see each week, the Cadenza 4 sports a warm neutral sub-bass boosted tonality, which is very smooth and pleasant.

Letshuoer Cadenza 4.jpg

Bass is tight and fast, with good texturing, focused at the sub-bass (ie no mid-bass bleed). The midrange is not depressed with good transparency and euphonia. This IEM is suitable for sibilant-fearing or pinna gain-sensitive folk.

Soundstage is above average with good imaging and layering. It isn't the most micro-detailed focused in view of not being overly steroid boosted in the treble, but resolution is still very presentable for a warmish tonality. Note edges are a tinge blunted to not cause fatigue.

I think this IEM is tuned refreshingly (in a good way) compared to the hackneyed sidegrade Harman fare. Perhaps only trebleheads will need to look elsewhere, but it's very promising from out-of-the-box impressions.

Will do some more testing and report back with A/B comparisons against other hybrids.

The graph reminds me of a gentler Symphonium Helios. That dip at 250Hz before rising to midrange makes we wonder whether it would make cellos thin. On the plus side, the bass should be more cleanly separate from midrange with this tuning.

That drop after 8kHz though :dt880smile:

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #96,407 of 102,974
1709305567839.png
TSMR-FEAT 2-2 Stands for 2XBA + 2DD. And surprisingly no switches. This is the very first Tansio Mirai IEM with no switches.

I am evaluating these at the moment as I just got them. Will post a bit about them soon but for now. These are like a younger brother to the TSMR-X which is a good thing.

Will be interesting to see how they turn out. So far, I am loving the new sound direction for Tansio Mirai.
TSMR Feat 2-2 vs ThieAudio Hype2 🤔

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #96,408 of 102,974
For the recent "discussions" on dynamics and the stage:

I am really surpised (I guess I should not be...) that dynamics is still puzzling to some "reviewers".
The dynamic range is very well defined in scientific instrumentation and in music.
Dynanics will boil to the ability of the transducers to reproduce both quiet and loud music - from ppp to fff in musical terms, perhaps more for some extreme composers.
The dynamics for transducers/IEMs needs to be also performed well in time (time domain), so the ability of sources to deliver proper current modulation is very important for the realization of dynamics.

As for the stage - I am also quite surprised that binaural recordings are not brought for the discussion by "stage affictionados," - that could help them understand that the properties of recordings matter more than transducers.
I was really scared when I first heard a binaural recording of the knock happened to becoming from the direction of the dark window - really scary. Then almost every transducer that I tested worked well in this recording.
Then in my limited experience, I found that multidriver IEMs in a large shell that can implement phase delays easier, ike KZ ZAT or TRI I3, are delivering most spacial experience to my ears.

P. S. Typo editing (trying to rely on my brain more than spellcheckers and AI at the moment).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #96,409 of 102,974
Mar 1, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #96,410 of 102,974
But I have to say this, though. It has saved me money and stopped impulse buying. So maybe the Chinese are helping me out for all the opium we dumped on em couple of centuries ago. (Just kidding, any Chinese reading this ... Last time I tried this with a Chinese it didn't go too well ..so picture emojis etc here... It was the British and Portugese who dumped, blame them*!)

* https://www.britannica.com/topic/opium-trade
Ironic you mention the Britich and Portugese: Watching Shogun now....

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #96,411 of 102,974
How many drivers does it have?
17EDFF75-25BB-4D65-8081-5803D8100C8D.jpeg

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #96,413 of 102,974
Price on this one? Interesting indeed.

From their social media, it is supposedly ¥42,000 yen in the domestic market. But if translated to overseas sales, taxes and logistics maybe it might go up a bit. So maybe around the $300 USD mark?

No formal shop link yet, but give it a few days I think we will have some clarity on the pricing.

The graph reminds me of a gentler Symphonium Helios. That dip at 250Hz before rising to midrange makes we wonder whether it would make cellos thin. On the plus side, the bass should be more cleanly separate from midrange with this tuning.

That drop after 8kHz though :dt880smile:

Yeah the Cadenza 4 is not for trebleheads that want air and sparkle. More of a laid back IEM to chill to.

Fiio FD11

could be my sub $50 ($100?) favourite IEMs...
until the new discovery...wow didn't expect this at all...bought them just for the look...but the bass :)

Cheers!

Yeah the FD11 and some other brands (eg Smabat) utilize a lengthened labyrinthine acoustic tube to increase sub-bass quantity, because higher frequency sounds are dissipated first.

Earbuds are generally slated for having weak sub-bass, but if you have heard a Smabat earbud, these generally have huge sub-bass because of this creative configuration.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #96,414 of 102,974
Earbuds are generally slated for having weak sub-bass, but if you have heard a Smabat earbud, these generally have huge sub-bass because of this creative configuration
Which smabat do you have in mind? The interchangeable one (M4?) hardly had any bass.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #96,415 of 102,974
Which smabat do you have in mind? The interchangeable one (M4?) hardly had any bass.

Have not tried the M4, but I have their older stuff like these; all have big sub-bass for a earbud:
- SMABAT M2S Pro + 150 ohm Black Gold driver
- SMABAT ST10
- SMABAT ST10S (Black Gold)
- SMABAT ST20 Pro

They won't compete with a true basshead IEM in terms of sub-bass as earbuds do not have a seal (which is the predominant department to increase sub-bass perception). But definitely they beat most other earbuds in terms of sub-bass quantity.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #96,416 of 102,974
Have not tried the M4, but I have their older stuff like these; all have big sub-bass for a earbud:
- SMABAT M2S Pro + 150 ohm Black Gold driver
- SMABAT ST10
- SMABAT ST10S (Black Gold)
- SMABAT ST20 Pro

They won't compete with a true basshead IEM in terms of sub-bass as earbuds do not have a seal (which is the predominant department to increase sub-bass perception). But definitely they beat most other earbuds in terms of sub-bass quantity.
Good bass response. Ice pick upper mid.

BBA810E0-925F-48E5-9EBC-C0D530EFB3A2.jpeg

Off-topic: after a year of struggling and testing, I found that the reason I couldn’t put MMCX into the MX500 shells is because my batch of shells was off-spec 🤬 Anyhow, I’m back to the buds game

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #96,417 of 102,974
How many drivers does it have?
I remember the Zero Audio Singolo. Never bought them, because they were a single BA unit, and at the time, I had other single BA units (UE600 and some Altec Lansing and MEE ), and none of them at the time really kept my attention, but I know DS and a few others got sets. I stuck with the Tenore.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #96,418 of 102,974
Mar 1, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #96,419 of 102,974
I remember the Zero Audio Singolo. Never bought them, because they were a single BA unit, and at the time, I had other single BA units (UE600 and some Altec Lansing and MEE ), and none of them at the time really kept my attention, but I know DS and a few others got sets. I stuck with the Tenore.
https://hifigo.com/collections/new-arrival/products/jialai-carat

I'm in the middle of a new $69.99 Carat review.....................a side brand for NiceHCK. Where I have attempted to bring up contrasts slightly with the 4.4mm ISN S4 cable (as appose to the included 3.5mm cable) I actually am quite smitten with the over all sound, while still a ever so slight timbre tilt on the up-side, the Carat is both balanced and holding a provocative slightly different aspect to the tone character that I have never encountered before. A win! Really a win here, and especially for the asking price.

This particular album is killer on the Carat?
DSC_0167.jpegone.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #96,420 of 102,974
https://hifigo.com/collections/new-arrival/products/jialai-carat

I'm in the middle of a new $69.99 Carat review.....................a side brand for NiceHCK. Where I have attempted to bring up contrasts slightly with the 4.4mm ISN S4 cable (as appose to the included 3.5mm cable) I actually am quite smitten with the over all sound, while still a ever so slight timbre tilt on the up-side, the Carat is both balanced and holding a provocative slightly different aspect to the tone character that I have never encountered before. A win! Really a win here, and especially for the asking price.

I’m using this one with nicehck black cat cable, simply because I have many lying around. It’s quite nice for $100, and an excellent value at $70. This IEM is for Harman-loving folks who want a bit more treble spiciness to their signature. Good “perceived” resolution and can sound quite 3D with a good amp.

Edit: my discover today when playing with the EQ of R3II, MQA files, and Elysian Gaea.
  • EQ cannot be applied on a playing MQA stream.
  • EQ can be applied by turning on before starting MQA playing. In this case, the “unfolding” does not happen. (Maybe?)
  • The overall presentation of the music changed audibly, even without any EQ setting being applied. The orchestra is more forward with MQA and more distant without MQA unfolding.
Impossible to say what causes that effect. Is it the loss of MQA unfolding? Is it some sort of degradation due to Hiby’s EQ implementation? I don’t know. But what a strange behaviour.

Edit: I might have hallucinated the whole thing 🤔

Edit 2: it only happens with MSEB, not the 10 band EQ. Occam’ razor would suggest that the reason is because MSEB reduces the volume, and I failed to volume match, rather than any mysterious factors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back