The discovery thread!
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #96,286 of 102,315
I was talking to myself when I say “stop with elitism”, not you 😂
Hahahaha, I understood that perfectly well... but that was just a perfect phrase that I took for writing my explanation :beerchug:
English is a beautiful language; no worries for the future :wink:

Do you no that line and scene from Pulp Fiction..." are we cool now?"

Cheers!

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #96,287 of 102,315
@nikbr Dx260 looking at you 😉
Broo get a DX260, I am telling you you will be satisfied.
Haha that one is definitely high up on my list. But I really think the goal will be to wait for something fantastic among the very portable selection where current crowd favourites have their negatives.

what cable you pairing with butastur?
This is the Juzear Pure copper cable. Highly affordable and an absolute joy to use. Recommended for sure.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #96,288 of 102,315
Hello, I am looking for new iems. I am not very good at differentiating tje different sound signatures. I have kz zsx and 7 zh salenotes zero. I like the vivid and energetic sound of kz zsx. However, on some songs kz zsx is a bit sharp. I find 7zh salenotes zero a bit boring and lifeless.
My criteria for iem are:
* wired prefarably with mic
* without extra bass
* clear vocals - my musical genres are musical theatre, hiphop, pop, rap, rock
* bugdet up to 200 usd - or something more expensive second hand.

Ps: Thanks in advance.
If I have written to some of you before with the same request sorry for the repetion.
I apologise for any mistakes. English is not my mother tongue.
CKLVX 1DD+4BA aka Pula PA02

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #96,289 of 102,315
Edit: my local hifi store has a bunch of tiny alcohol wipes for IEM. Fresh as new after every demo.
went to Costco and bought approximately 7000 boxes of the lil alcohol wipes the other week. My IEMs get a nice bath at the end of every major use. Not hard to get in the habit! They fit perfectly in my case.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #96,290 of 102,315
7E2CF03D-1180-4899-9D46-E7AC7AEA2B8E.jpeg

This brands move so fast. @baskingshark is right. I haven’t even recorded the video of Trio and another pokemon has been released
I refunded the Trio big mistake that one looks like it has a chance to sound good not this deciever of a name Symphony Naaaaahhhhh!

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #96,291 of 102,315
CKLVX 1DD+4BA aka Pula PA02
They are the same exactly It was discovered and the CKLVX is less money. The SLIIVO SL41 has a different tuning and is more monitor like. Think P8 Killer vs the Pula is more well rounded and safer for most.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #96,292 of 102,315
Haha that one is definitely high up on my list. But I really think the goal will be to wait for something fantastic among the very portable selection where current crowd favourites have their negatives.

This is the Juzear Pure copper cable. Highly affordable and an absolute joy to use. Recommended for sure.
Kevin from our group bought a DX260 and sold it because he said the Bass sounds analog but the mids and top sounds thin and analytical. I trust his ears he has had them all. Stopped my from buying one.
I am not looking for a unique sounding DAP , I thought it might have been a upgrade to my DX170 but didn't sound like it.
I will stick to my A&K Kann Max , Shanling M8 and I have a new one for testing the Hiby R8ii

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #96,293 of 102,315
I refunded the Trio big mistake that one looks like it has a chance to sound good not this deciever of a name Symphony Naaaaahhhhh!
You returned the Trio????

Double shame!

Edit: let’s see if you can resist the R8ii. Looking forward for a comparison with the giant xDuoo DAC amp that you have as well

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #96,294 of 102,315
Bro, first graph of the KZ Symphony pokemon.

graph.png

It is hyped to the moon due to the a unique DD + planar config (supposedly not one of those fake SPD nonsense).

Credit to Paul Wasabii for the graph from Squig, who we trust for his good independent graphs.

Well, graphs surely don't tell the full story, but they are a generally good gauge of tonality, and this one looks quite scooped out in the lower mids. With a massive pinna gain area.

Well compared to the 2nd photo against the store provided graphs which consumers should rightfully take with a pinch of salt.
a515f5c6-46de-411e-8cc6-6c2688566911.jpg

Any brave first adopters have gotten a KZ Symphony and have heard it? I have a feeling a PRO version may come out in a few weeks' time to address some issues haha.

TRN tuning is really hit or miss bro. They had some TRN Xuan Wu planar that looked like a cool tortoise shell. The sound was bad though (had some QC issues with the first batch of nozzle damping too).

Xuan Wu.png

Wow this cable looks like it will cost a pretty penny. Makes me feel like going back to order more cables from that lucky bag shop haha.
In defense of SPDs (I call them "small planar drivers" - they can be circular, like in Moondrop May, or BA-like, as in 1More Penta) - they can give good results, especially if used for a narrow spectral range, as in Phoenixcall, Penta and May.
May really impressed me with the smoothness, even cohereness, of the driver integration, where SPDs seem to triumph over BAs.

On another note, my Symphony is on the way, the graph looks like "a cursive V" - even more interesting to try.
I am really happy that KZ is doing something different than recent Rhapsody and Trio, otherwise they could stuck with non-offensive but not eventful tunings similar to Crin and his followers.

It may be hard for Symphony to compete with May, especially being a bit more expensive and without a luxury box :)

We will see - that is the most fun of this hobby to me - enjoying different flavours of the tunings, capabilities and limitations of different drivers rather than trying to chase any elusive perfect unicorns :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #96,295 of 102,315
In defense of SPDs (I call them "small planar drivers" - they can be circular, like in Moondrop May, or BA-like, as in 1More Penta) - they can give good results, especially if used for a narrow spectral range, as in Phoenixcall, Penta and May.
May really impressed me with the smoothness, even cohereness, of the driver integration, where SPDs seem to triumph over BAs.

On another note, my Symphony is on the way, the graph looks like "a cursive V" - even more interesting to try.
I am really happy that KZ is doing something different than recent Rhapsody and Trio, otherwise they could stuck with non-offensive but not eventful tunings similar to Crin and his followers.

It may be hard for Symphony to compete with May, especially being a bit more expensive and without a luxury box :)

We will see - that is the most fun of this hobby to me - enjoying different flavours of the tunings, capabilities and limitations of different drivers rather than trying to chase any elusive perfect unicorns :)
It's an interesting Tuning that looks way off to me. But I made the mistake of buying one lol.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #96,296 of 102,315
the treble on my Dark Phoenix has no issues from being a small planar. sounds incredible.

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #96,298 of 102,315
A lot of people on reddit seem to agree that these coins are next to worthless but I've seen some people gain good discounts on IEMs after saving up coins for months.
It seems that coins system was reworked some time ago and it's not so useless now.
The proper way to use it is to add the stuff you want to your wish list (better if it's the same item from different sources), then in the app open "Coins" - "Discounts" finder and usually wish listed items will appear there with 10-50% discount.
Don't expect some obscure cable or IEM that is available from only one seller to appear there, but items sold by Alibaba stores (Cutesliving\Factory something etc), or something like KZ\Volkchoi store networks will usually be there. For example CCA Trio now sells for 25$ (-15% with coins) and Artti R3 for ~16$ with 20-30% fluctuations.
These discounts also change dynamically (depending on the time of the day, perhaps?). And if the discount bar is orange (not red) and never higher than 10%, then reportedly Aliexpress is limited that account with offers.
Bit of a late reply, but it took some time as a new poster :sleeping:

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #96,299 of 102,315
Wow so many new pokemon, glad i stop visiting headfi for a while. By the way i finally got my hands on EA1000, BQEYZ Wind and MP145 (first batch), will post my impression soon!
For these 3 i would rank them: Oxygen = Blon 03 (stock) > Wind = EA500 > EA1000 = MP145

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #96,300 of 102,315
7E2CF03D-1180-4899-9D46-E7AC7AEA2B8E.jpeg

This brands move so fast. @baskingshark is right. I haven’t even recorded the video of Trio and another pokemon has been released
TRIO Hasn't even landed properly at retailers in my Country lol. Maybe due to CNY holidays, but still new release so soon. It feel like we need to maintain a family tree for them now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back