The discovery thread!
Feb 14, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #95,461 of 103,539
Tip revelation (quite a wow!)

Getting recently few sets of tips, I started to explore them.

Penon Liquier Orange claimed to enhance bass. I am not much of a basshead, but one IEM that has the bass totally anemic to my experience was Truthear Hexa, while the rest of the range and resolution was quite nice (but no decent bass support - no good IEM, I learned).
My "go to" tips are TRI Clarion (seems to fit well my ear anatomy, and I strongly prefer wide bore tips not to striangulate the sound), they did not work with Hexa. Moondrop Spring were a bit better, but still "not it".
XL orange liqueur tips delivered better results, much more listenable Hexa.
A total surprise came when I put L orange tips that I got in my package (I always thought of my ears being large and served better with XL tips, but with all tips combinations available - I got L, XL, XL just in case) - and, wow, I finally got a usable enjoyable IEM (still a lean monitor one, but nice to my limited tastes - The Grosse Fuge rendered by Takacs Quartet is on a lean and austere side but great at that!) Wow!
20240214_191253.jpg

Kudos to Penon (to which I am not affiliated by any means, but should acknowledge their great tips that made a real difference).
I broke down and ordered some about a week ago. I will try them with my Hexa too!

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #95,464 of 103,539
I broke down and ordered some about a week ago. I will try them with my Hexa too!
I placed them on all my IEM's that needed a bit of a bass boost. The Simgots and Sennheiser IE100. :thumbsup:

EDIT : I wonder how they'd work with the UE600?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #95,465 of 103,539
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #95,466 of 103,539
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #95,468 of 103,539
Feb 15, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #95,469 of 103,539
Feb 15, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #95,470 of 103,539
Feb 15, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #95,471 of 103,539
Sennheiser IE100 + Penon Lacquer tips = Almost 90-95% of the technicalities of the IE600, for $500 or more less. The bass lift these provide, without getting in the way of treble, give the usually dry bass of the IE100 (think of a bass very similar in weight and presentation to the EW200) a touch of heft that really brings them in line with the IE600, Now the IE600 is still a more mature sounding offering, and the fit is better, but for $500+ less, and you want that Senn sound with the wide stage, then you can't go wrong with this combo.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #95,472 of 103,539
Oh yeah! Good call!
Eric, the admin of Chifi love on Facebook, actually liked that combo:

well, not only the color fit perfectly but those are my fav eartips for ISN Neo3 for now.
KB07 wide bore tend to make bass a bit loose and warm, dominating the mids a bit then with this Penon Liqueur we go sharper W shape balance, cleaner too, mid bass is less creamed with vibrancy and become edgier and tighter, mids presence is more upfront and bright and treble gain in edge and sparkle (more air).
man, i truely adore those eartips because its very first one with a sticky material that don't irritate my ears canal. the fit is super secure. Silicone is thick and flexible, it don't bent wrongly so it keep the nozzle round and well directed in canal.
Not overpriced too since you got what. 8 pairs, 2 models in 4 size, black has wider hole so it's not the right one for small nozzle like those Neo3 and make the variety very versatile for IEMs collector.
Very nice.

I think he liked blue penon even better in a later post, though.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #95,473 of 103,539
person-turqouise-waving

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #95,474 of 103,539
Found Mark's latest video on biases to be a good one, and very correct.
Biases can't be avoided, this is a very subjective hobby. And how much biases work on our impressions and reviews is a big question, most likely we don't know it ourself even. Only thing I know is that I tend to have biases for warmer sets, and brands can probably also be a factor.

Also found the point where he talk about bought vs free stuff very correct 💯

More easy to like something more when you have money invested into it. At least I think so 🤔

The point about biases is 100% correct. Biases are: "Bias is a natural inclination for or against an idea, object, group, or individual. It is often learned and is highly dependent on variables like a person’s socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, educational background, etc."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/bias

Aside from preferences they have a huge impact in decision making and are regularly used in decision science & negotiation practices to influence:
https://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/ohjdpr20&div=31&id=&page=

Learning and becoming aware of them has been a huge learning from my side..

P.S. Mark generalize one point ... biases influence preferential choices but a "bias" is not a "choice". One is a driver to an outcome and the other one is the outcome.
P.S.S. another mistake... CFA Ara has 7 BAs and not 5 as Mark says in the video. This said, they sound amazing!!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #95,475 of 103,539
The point about biases is 100% correct.
I don't mind (and expect) bias. What can sometimes be hard to understand is how those biases are understood by the reader/viewer.

I'm always more comfortable when the reviewer has made it clear (possibly over several reviews) what their musical tastes and sound preferences are. This at least enables me to better understand whether I'm personally going to like what they are saying. The good news here is that a large majority of reviewers now do something like this.

Interestingly, while I really enjoy Mark's reviews, his taste is different to mine, but it in no way diminishes his value as a reviewer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back