The discovery thread!
Feb 9, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #95,206 of 103,547
Won't be getting the Trio bro, I've been banned by KZ for giving negative reviews. Also some weird fake new accounts popped up to cause trouble after that (for other reviewers who gave negative reviews too). Very dodgy, hence won't be touching their gear with a ten foot pole from now on.

But definitely look forward to you guys' review on the Trio, it seems quite promising from first adopter impressions! I do hope it can be an excellent value product for newcomers! KZ/CCA can definitely push out good products, it is just that for every one solid release, we may have to trawl through 5 - 6 other crappy ones, with the high turnover of "PRO" iterations using consumers as beta testers prior to that. Not to mention the over-the-top marketing shenanigans and dodgy PR.

Ouch. Are you also banned from Penon :dt880smile:

That reminds me. Nothing stops KZ/CCA from changing the next batch of these IEMs by cutting corner some where. Recommending this batch might comes back and bite me in the back, just like the PR2. Still, I prefer to have a positive outlook that they will be more reliable now that the driver boot is 3D printed.

Would be funny if Hi-Fri finds out that only 1 out of 3DD actually works.

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #95,207 of 103,547
I've been banned by KZ for giving negative reviews.
We will start a petition for you to be unbanned from all these brands, my friend. Please name all brands who have banned you. 😬

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #95,208 of 103,547
IMG_6583.jpeg

IMG_6582.jpeg
lol oh boy

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #95,209 of 103,547
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #95,210 of 103,547
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #95,211 of 103,547
Ah they fixed the description good now says planar not Dynamic Driver
“There is wire, there is magnet. It’s a dynamic driver” - Shozy, probably

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #95,212 of 103,547
IMG_6583.jpeg

IMG_6582.jpeg
lol oh boy
Yeah, they fixed it. I should receive a P20 in the evening. Let’s see how it performs. I was more excited to see a DD driver. The excitement has faded away. 😑

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #95,213 of 103,547
DSC01554.JPG

IBasso has pulled out some crazy sounding sources in the past and as many of you guys know these guys are serious about their sound. Got the new IBasso PB5 Korg Nutube porable amplifier you are seeing on this pic mated with my DX300Max. This thing is everything I hoped it would be and more. Recent IBasso deal got me this thing at 40% of off the MSRP of $1500. Expensive yes but oh so much worth every penny I spent on it. I feel like have an amplification version of the holodeck from Star Trek fame. Lol It is nuts what this amp does for your sources. Much wider stage, amazing depth. Music sounds analoguish but so much better textured. Sound becomes world class with this thing mated with a highly resolving TSMR-X and you get a combo for the ages.

The only issue I have now is that now that I got a taste of what these Korg Nutubes are about. All of a sudden my other sources sound a bit lacking. Lol. Not good.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #95,214 of 103,547

I'm going to revise my initial recommendation for the Moondrop May; originally I said that they're a couple steps up from the KZ Pr1 Pro & Pr2. Due to the addition of the DD.

For someone that appreciates the nuances of the low end and always in search for a non-fatiguing set, Moondrop has a sleeper on their hands.

I'm actually pondering picking up a second set. An honour that I've only given to the FiiO FD5 and the original Dunu Zen.

It really surprises me that a $65 (USD) set can properly playback the kick drum from "Enter Sandman" & Toni Braxton's alto, in, "Un-break my heart".
Great story!
Ordered one. Ot can be my chance to learn more how to appreciate the lower end.
I really liked a lot what Moondrop could squeeze with DSP out of a tiny single-BA Droplet.
Oh, this hobby, trying to get some break :)
I bought a surprise box cable thingy from Aliexpress for 10 bucks:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256806342024439.html

There's options for 4.4mm, 3.5mm, 2.5mm, for MMCX and 2-pin.

So I paid for it about a week ago and it arrived today. Very surprised it came with a nice semi-rigid carrying case.

I personally don't use cables to change the sound, but FWIW, haptically this cable is excellent for $10. It is well braided, minimal tangling, with just slight microphonics. Very light and the chin cinch and connectors come with some nice marbled motiff.

As this is a lucky bag, not sure what cable might come in the mail, but $10 is worth a consideration IMO, especially with a carrying case too.
Irresistible for a (hopefully) good surprise, thank you for sharing! :)
These just came in. In the first 30 minutes of listening time. As triple DD, gonna require some burn in time, but OOTB impressions are VERY POSITIVE.

Spacious, transparent, quick resolving bass, and really nice timbre. The top end reminds me of the OD200 with silver filter, and the bottom end reminds me of the EW200, but with more heft. Now still needs that burn in time, and further listening, but at the moment, initial impressions, these are far superior to the DQ6, Lings, Cadenza, and blister the Star River, Quartet, and EW200. More thoughts to come...

$29?!?! It's good to be alive during this Chi-fi era!!
It really surpriises (if not dismays) me that the mediocre Rhapsody of all got hyped. I can understand how Rhapsody is non-offensively likeable, (it is a development along C10 lines, and C10 back then "earned" C from Crin among KZ's Ds - brought some chuckles), but the sloppy/tabby bass and the limited BA range of Rhapsody are quite limited....
Trio is better, IMO, a good IEM.
But then ZAT is great, it wipes E6ML to my ears left and right, stage and spaciousness of ZAT are just mighty; my only problem with ZAT is a bit too much (of a good) bass that most should actually like.
Rather than "hyping" ZAT, I wish to hear more opinions and comparisons, but there is a seemingly some stigma about $75+ KZ IEMs... go figure...

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #95,215 of 103,547
Yeah, they fixed it. I should receive a P20 in the evening. Let’s see how it performs. I was more excited to see a DD driver. The excitement has faded away. 😑
yep, 100% more into a DD. There are enough good planars out right now.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #95,216 of 103,547
Great story!
Ordered one. Ot can be my chance to learn more how to appreciate the lower end.
I really liked a lot what Moondrop could squeeze with DSP out of a tiny single-BA Droplet.
Oh, this hobby, trying to get some break :)

Irresistible for a (hopefully) good surprise, thank you for sharing! :)

It really surpriises (if not dismays) me that the mediocre Rhapsody of all got hyped. I can understand how Rhapsody is non-offensively likeable, (it is a development along C10 lines, and C10 back then "earned" C from Crin among KZ's Ds - brought some chuckles), but the sloppy/tabby bass and the limited BA range of Rhapsody are quite limited....
Trio is better, IMO, a good IEM.
But then ZAT is great, it wipes E6ML to my ears left and right, stage and spaciousness of ZAT are just mighty; my only problem with ZAT is a bit too much (of a good) bass that most should actually like.
Rather than "hyping" ZAT, I wish to hear more opinions and comparisons, but there is a seemingly some stigma about $75+ KZ IEMs... go figure...
The Trio are my new daily driver. 12 hours in, and I haven't been able to take these out of my ears. These are on the go, daily driver, workout, budget keepers. I typically don't blind buy much (EW200, KZ Lings, and the TWS Fiio FW3 are the most recent), but something told me to take a flier on these, and boy am I glad I did. For $29? A no-brainer.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #95,218 of 103,547
MoonDrop May.jpg
I'm going to revise my initial recommendation for the Moondrop May; originally I said that they're a couple steps up from the KZ Pr1 Pro & Pr2. Due to the addition of the DD.

For someone that appreciates the nuances of the low end and always in search for a non-fatiguing set, Moondrop has a sleeper on their hands.

I'm actually pondering picking up a second set. An honour that I've only given to the FiiO FD5 and the original Dunu Zen.

It really surprises me that a $65 (USD) set can properly playback the kick drum from "Enter Sandman" & Toni Braxton's alto, in, "Un-break my heart".
Unbreak my Heart, what a wonderful piece of music that is!

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #95,219 of 103,547
Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #95,220 of 103,547
The Trio are my new daily driver. 12 hours in, and I haven't been able to take these out of my ears. These are on the go, daily driver, workout, budget keepers. I typically don't blind buy much (EW200, KZ Lings, and the TWS Fiio FW3 are the most recent), but something told me to take a flier on these, and boy am I glad I did. For $29? A no-brainer.
Yes, CCA/KZ have really nailed it with the Trio. I will be posting a review soon. Perhaps somebody out there could create a product/review page for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back