The discovery thread!
Feb 7, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #94,951 of 104,216
I took my TKZK Ouranos to work today on a whim, I hadn't listened to them for over 6 months so I was like "why not".
20240207_221701.jpg

The fit was just as I remembered, the nozzle angle is wrong for me so they don't fit correctly and as usual my right ear fits worse than the left. So it isn't comfortable for long sessions for me. It still looks great but I don't remember sounding this good. Sure it was never a bad sounding IEM, but what happened today surprised me.

At some point in the afternoon I couldn't find what to listen to and was doom scrolling though my album list when I saw The Dark Side of Classical Music.

While listening to this album the Ouranos gave me goosebumps, I've never had this IEM do that before. It was so clean and delicate at times and yet bombasic when asked for. Even the quiet bass parts were soft but clear. The imaging, layering where on point and even the soundstage seemed bigger that usual. And that on my G7 headphone out, which worse than most of my sources. Granted it's still good, but I usually use a dongle or a DAP which sounds a lot better. (luxury problems, I know :sweat_smile:)
Guess this shows that sometimes older, less popular IEMs still got it and it confirmed to me again that a good CNT is still the best DD for me.

Now lets see if the PA01 if it can hold up to the Ouranos as it should arrive tomorrow along with a PA02.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #94,952 of 104,216
Now lets see if the PA01 if it can hold up to the Ouranos as it should arrive tomorrow along with a PA02.
Please do share your impressions of the PA02 with the same playlist. I need a sanity check about that IEM.

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #94,953 of 104,216
Well, thought I could keep on lurking here forever 🙈 But I feel I want to chime in because I had an odd experience with Geekwold myself recently. Got the GK20 after reading a couple of impressions and was at first a little irritated how different they sounded from what I expected judging by the reviews and available graphs. Anyway, here's mine (cannot attach images yet):
Frequency response

Bottom line is: It sounds like a mixture of Ziigaat Cinno and ZS10 Pro X, both of which I own. And that's not bad, as I like both 😉. It's a fun sounding kind of W shaped set with beautiful shells. However, it's starkly different from what I expected.
In case you wonder: Both channels look the same. And yeah, I don't have professional measurement equipment, but I get extremely repeatable results within a << 0.5 dB margin when repositioning an earpiece. Usually I have to apply some very soft high shelf to roughly compare with IEC coupler results, but that doesn't in the least affect the dips at ~1.5 and 5 kHz, which I can clearly hear as well.

Just wanted to leave that here. If that is a kind of variation that frequently occurs with Geekwold sets, I'm not surprised the least bit that opinions differ strongly 😅
I think somehow in the end the GK20 will have a slightly better reception at Head-Fi. :) Enjoy!

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #94,954 of 104,216
They do, I have the Venture Electronics BiE, SiE and Grand Duke. BiE is a good step under the quality of the SiE and GD, in both bass and overall sound.

All of them have a more thick and warm sound, SiE the one with perhaps being the most energetic. Favorite of them for me is Grand Duke, pure guilty pleasure. Wall of lush sound with a grand stage, at least for me. Custom design here arranged for my friend, and now is mine 😄

1000016035.jpg
Such awesome shells!

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #94,955 of 104,216
i have not, there were a couple I was looking at though! are there any you can recommend?
I have both the Galaxy and Healer. Fantastic quality and beautifully built. They tend to be on the thicker side though so if that's not your thing I would probably look elsewhere.
1000015979.jpg
I'll second the Healer, yes it's on the thicker side but it's such a beautiful, well build cable and it's surprisingly pliable for it's size.

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #94,956 of 104,216
Please do share your impressions of the PA02 with the same playlist. I need a sanity check about that IEM.
Will do, I'll probably throw in the P5 for comparison as it's also a 4+1 in the same price bracket. Any others in my collection you want to add to the comparison?

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #94,957 of 104,216
Sort of, yes.
If so, I might consider Hakugei Healer. But I have to be sure. As I recall, the original cable is silver-plated.

I was going backwards on the thread looking for recommendations for several cables, but I somehow skipped it...couldn't find it.

What about these two?
NiceHCK WhiteCrane
Penon Vocal
WhiteCrane: a well made silver plated copper, with a nice balance of brightness and warmth. As with all NiceHCK cables, only get at a sale price.

PenonVocal: As advertised, it tastefully emphasises mids, pushing vocals forward in the mix. A bit much for IEMs that are already warm, but great at adding warmth and body. But plastic hardware, and I personally find the shiny gold look a bit much.

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #94,958 of 104,216
So there you go for my Penon Quattro review:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/pe...iver-universal-iem.26959/reviews#review-32915
While i'm sincerly enjoying the unique mellow, buttery near basshead tonality of these IEM, I know it's not for treble head, neutral head as well as those that need proper upper mids and presence fowardness.
But would it be better to have overly similar musicality than the legendary Serial?
I don't think so.
For me Quattro are tonal side grade of Serial, with extra basshead fun, sweet lean mids and among most unique bass experience I have with Firaudio Xenon6 and Simgot EA1000.

THE PLUS:
-Lush, warm, smooth and bassy U shape balance
-incredible bass performance with lot of punch and rumble
-vibrant, dense and natural bass line to dig deep
-speedy yet warm and chunky mid bass
-smooth innoffensive yet captivating mid range
-wide holographic soundstage
-your in the middle of music with Quattro
-beautiful yet non shouty female vocal
-extra treble snap-brilliance within dark overall signature
-good layering capacity
-more musical than technical
-excellent cable
-generous accessories
THE MINUS:
-more musical than technical (yes its a pro and con depending who you are)
-a bit too much bass warmth-bleed
-dark overal resolution
-a bit too lean mids to offer proper macro dynamic balance
-a bit too safe treble that lack air even if we have sparkle
-source picky
-niche tonality

1707346383564.png

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #94,959 of 104,216
Will do, I'll probably throw in the P5 for comparison as it's also a 4+1 in the same price bracket. Any others in my collection you want to add to the comparison?
The sand would be nice. I wish to see how the tech of pa02 stack up against other strong performers. Thank you!

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #94,960 of 104,216
I think somehow in the end the GK20 will have a slightly better reception at Head-Fi. :) Enjoy!
Right, GK20 is way better than GK10S....which is just so bad...yet, when i pop up back plate it heal the intense bass resonance issue....then treble can't be heal....
tbh, GK20 seem better tuned IEM from this brand

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #94,961 of 104,216
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #94,962 of 104,216
Anyone know anything about this DAC?
Geshelli Labs DAYZEE
I was just browsing to see if they had anything new & lo and behold, I stumble across this.
No price listed, but my interest is piqued.
SCHWING!!!
@ToneDeafMonk, I know you dig their other DACs so was hoping you might be able to shed some light.
Much appreciated!

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 18-26-01 Dayzee – Geshelli Labs LLC01.png

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 18-26-39 Dayzee – Geshelli Labs LLC02.png

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #94,963 of 104,216
Be careful with the Hakugei cable with QC. The modular cable that came with my Sea Elf purchase broke at the point just above the modular cable connect, after extremely light use, so I'm not convinced with their QC.
That reminds me...
I had a helluva time finding a compatible match for that thing. Seems like everything I paired it up with just sounded off.

Penon's Vortex & SeaElf's hakugei cable finally found their acoustic match. [SeaElf iem is in the "Sunken Place" of a wooden drawer]

So far that cable has held up, but... the hakugei cable included w/GK100's died after 2-3 hrs of use, so Hakugei's QC unfortunately seems like a moving target.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #94,964 of 104,216
Moondrop May (I, . . yes please)
May vs PR1 Pro.jpg

I'll be comparing the May to one of my 2023 purchases, the KZ Pr1 Pro. As the Pr1 Pro's pricing is all over the place, but on average it circles around the May's $64.99 (U.S., Amazon). In an attempt to make the playing field fair, I'll be not using the May's DSP cable.

No need for a TL, DR. The May takes all categories
Fit: May (for me)
Efficiency: May
Low end and vocals: the May's DD brings it (from the Sub to the tonal lows of the vocals), which is missing from the PR1 Pro.
Upper frequencies: neither are fatiguing, but both are missing that "sparkle/air" that some crave.
Width and height: exponentially in favor of the May

Would I recommend the May ?
Only if you're looking for a replacement for either the Pr1 Pro or the PR2
May vs PR1 and 2.jpg

My profile: old and hornery.
9/10 basshead, sensitive to the upper frequencies.
Musical preferences: 70s -80s (e.g. KC and the Sunshine Band, Jackson Five, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, ...)
Music chain: Amazon Ultra music to Samsung Note 20 to FiiO BTR7 (balanced)

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #94,965 of 104,216
Not the kinda guy to give up on an iem
( Tangsu Fudu the exception it’s irredeemable) I put the Pula-02 paired with the Nicechk Silver Cat cable, final e tips, in my ears plugged them into the Hiby RS2 and have had a thoroughly good evening listening. The RS2 magnifying everything good about its playback and not showing any of the plastic timbre in the upper mids and lower treble that didn’t like out of the Hiby R6 111 and shanling M6 Ultra which both presented with a timbre issue for my ears.
I’m back on board with the Pula now I've found it's partner
:sunglasses:
:+1:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back