The discovery thread!
Feb 7, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #94,891 of 102,949
Seasoned inside a civets' (small, cat-like mammal) poop!

The beans slip through their digestive systems, which is collected from faeces.

Indonesia's expensive coffee Kopi Luwak.

Live and Poop, atleast if not let live...
The level of animal brutality for making coffee luwak is deplorable to say the least. I lived in North Sumatera for 16 years. Due to my frequent visits to Aceh, I was a able to witness it with my own eyes.

Don't buy Kapi Luwak unless you are sure that these animals are being treated right and are in utmost care.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #94,892 of 102,949
Why would an IEM be made to sound steadily worse as it plays?

Because 'better' and 'worse' are subjective. If burn-in actually affected the sound of an IEM then surely some people would find it better, but some people would find it worse. After all, we all hear differently right?

So it's curious that burn-in only ever seems to make IEMs sound 'better'.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #94,893 of 102,949
Because 'better' and 'worse' are subjective. If burn-in actually affected the sound of an IEM then surely some people would find it better, but some people would find it worse. After all, we all hear differently right?

Whether you like the final result or not, having the IEM not yet be in its final “ready to listen to” state is likely to be worse. I agree that burning in shouldn’t be needed, but it is easy to hear in some models.

Anyway, this isn’t on-topic so I’ll drop out this discussion.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #94,894 of 102,949

Better because the whole set-up normally sounds more to together and slightly more mature. The bass is normally (at times) more profound and lifelike. The stage is simply filled with smoother replay, and normally these changes are all observed by burn-in believers. Never bad.

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #94,896 of 102,949
I doubt "burn in" actually changes the actual drivers. What stops them from "going bad" after another couple hundred hours of play?

More likely it's how the brain perceives what the ears are picking up at that given moment. And there are a lot of things that can affect it (sleep, food, Monday vs Friday etc.)

Of course confirmation bias is very real too.

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #94,897 of 102,949
Ziigaat Doscinco IEM Review & Sound Demo: An Isobaric Revelation

Before anyone asks, yes the review speech is ai generated there are some funny pronounciations. Review text is my own.
Creating videos is so damn time consuming and this is only a hobby for me. So with that out of the way, Enjoy!

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #94,898 of 102,949
Well, I do agree that there could be other forces at work here, and sure the IEM interpretation process is totally individualistic. Funny that the GK10S rears its head to be under the same controversy as the original Geek Wold GK10. The 7mm DD midrange driver seemed to change and if placebo for me, sure I will accept that. Except my first impressions were very different from what the GK10 turned out to be in the end, maybe more, really more than most IEMs I encounter? They (the IEMs) all can’t be well received by everyone. :) Cheers!

Anyways, it may be unit variation/QC? I know the original GK10 had some complaints about different batches sounding different? FWIW, I have perfect channel balance on both sides of the GK10S on my graphing rig, so at least we know the set I have has an intended tuning. QC lottery is always something to keep in mind for CHIFI.

Well, thought I could keep on lurking here forever 🙈 But I feel I want to chime in because I had an odd experience with Geekwold myself recently. Got the GK20 after reading a couple of impressions and was at first a little irritated how different they sounded from what I expected judging by the reviews and available graphs. Anyway, here's mine (cannot attach images yet):
Frequency response

Bottom line is: It sounds like a mixture of Ziigaat Cinno and ZS10 Pro X, both of which I own. And that's not bad, as I like both 😉. It's a fun sounding kind of W shaped set with beautiful shells. However, it's starkly different from what I expected.
In case you wonder: Both channels look the same. And yeah, I don't have professional measurement equipment, but I get extremely repeatable results within a << 0.5 dB margin when repositioning an earpiece. Usually I have to apply some very soft high shelf to roughly compare with IEC coupler results, but that doesn't in the least affect the dips at ~1.5 and 5 kHz, which I can clearly hear as well.

Just wanted to leave that here. If that is a kind of variation that frequently occurs with Geekwold sets, I'm not surprised the least bit that opinions differ strongly 😅

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #94,899 of 102,949
dips at ~1.5 and 5 kHz
Huh, we are so different; I listen to this instead :)

Bethowen note.png

I leave db and kHz to others :)
And still, after having a pretty nice collection of headphones...I never had any issues, not a single one :)
When you dip into db and KHz...oh, man, there starts trouble :)

I can relax and enjoy the music :)

tumblr_ny0hd6YFWf1ry75ffo1_500.gif

Cheers! :beerchug:

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #94,900 of 102,949
Ziigaat Doscinco IEM Review & Sound Demo: An Isobaric Revelation

Before anyone asks, yes the review speech is ai generated there are some funny pronounciations. Review text is my own.
Creating videos is so damn time consuming and this is only a hobby for me. So with that out of the way, Enjoy!

I saw your posts about this on HiFiGuides and it had me intrigued. If I hadn’t just bought the TSMR X then I think I’d be seriously considering this as I do love some bass.

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #94,901 of 102,949
Huh, we are so different; I listen to this instead :)

Bethowen note.png
Not as different as you might think 😉 the „scientific“ side merely gave me enough insight to understand what to watch out for before buying and is a great tool for me to judge what a will probably like in a set and what not. Without being able to audition myself before buying that is. Ultimately, I enjoy many different tunings for enjoying exactly what you posted from as many different perspectives as possible 😀
But that aside, I was mostly going technical to make a point about the differences apparent with the GK20‘s output in different samples. After all, it was not bad luck, but gives me one perspective more :)

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #94,903 of 102,949
IMG_20240207_182827_150~2.jpg

Came back to Venture Electronics SiE a.k.a. the lushest of lush after a good while and decided to do some tip swapping. It came to a halt very rapidly right after I tried the Coreir.

It looks as if it barely hangs onto the nozzle, but it is very secure. Azla Xelastec were the ones I used before to aid with SiE's less than perfect fit for my ears due to a stubby nozzle. They did their job thanks to their sticky material. Coreir, though, goes about it in a very mechanical fashion. The brass inserts essentially lengthen the nozzles and now SiE fits wonderfully.

Joy of listening is still here too. It remains a bassy and enveloping listen that manages to sound the most speaker-like from my collection, but as an added bonus Coreir lent a helping hand to SiE in its otherwise not-so-good technicalities. Great success!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back