The discovery thread!
Jan 28, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #93,991 of 106,368
The Tansio Mirai 10th Anniversary X

A question. 7 drivers per side 2 x DD, 2 x Knowles mids BA, 2 x Sonion tweeter BA, 1 x custom film retarding driver. Why are Tansio Mirai calling the venting system a driver, they say "custom film retarding driver"...is it a driver?

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #93,992 of 106,368

Thieaudio Hype10

Thank you @gadgetgod for sending out the Hype10 for an audition.

I will keep it short. The carrying case was fine. The cable is quite high quality, thick but pliable, and not very heavy. The shells are a bit on the bigger side and create a jammed-up feeling although fit is rather comfortable.

The sound profile is distinctly smooth with a healthy dose of bass. Midrange sounds quite natural with a nice note weight. The treble is present
but the energy is very well controlled. It is a rather U-shaped sound, where the midrange also sits forward.

The bass is full and goes deep. It also colors the midrange a bit. The midrange has decent transparency, and the notes are crisp yet smooth. The treble is also smooth and very well-extended. Soundstage is very wide, deep and decently tall as well. The notes are very well-defined with nice depth also.

Comparing with OH700VB, the OH700VB has less midbass bloom but similar subbass. The midrange sounds more transparent and the treble has slightly bit more energy and sounds more prominent. The notes are a bit more crunchy but a bit flatter. The depth and width of stage are slightly less but the height is similar. The imaging seems comparable.

IMG_1782.jpg

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #93,993 of 106,368
Yes the volume buttons are at a weird place, it is not along the sides but at the top of the chassis. And they are rather small - see blue circle below.

1.jpeg

I have to subconsciously remember (unlike other dongles), that the buttons are there (and I have to leave it in a pocket with the buttons facing the front so I can tap it).

Which country are you getting it from? The ZX707 is volume locked in Canada, EU, US and Singapore.

So I was in a Singapore shop with my Moondrop Variations to audition this DAP. The joke is that for the Variations, which isn't that difficult to drive, this ZX707 needed to hit 90 on the volume level to get adequate dynamics. And every few minutes, some lame reminder will pop up on the DAP, saying please listen to the music at a softer volume to protect your hearing. I know how to protect my hearing and do audiometries for a living, so i don't know why Sony is treating us like kids? Are they scared of a lawsuit for hearing loss haha?

There is no high gain on the above versions also. You might need to import one from say Japan to bypass this volume lock nonsense.

Best part is the shop keeper told me, he tried a Sony Z1R IEM with this DAP and it couldn't power the Z1R well LOL. Imagine their own IEM can't be powered by their volume locked DAP? I see many ZX707s being sold on second forums locally, suspect buyers got it and realized this thing is anemic for low sensitivity/high impedance gear. The local Amazon site also had to pause selling it, I suspect many folks are asking for returns.
what a weird thing, why the hell would they handicap their own hardware like that? I have heard about the power cap, I don’t really have an issue importing it as long as functionality is the same…

Jan 28, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #93,994 of 106,368
what a weird thing, why the hell would they handicap their own hardware like that? I have heard about the power cap, I don’t really have an issue importing it as long as functionality is the same…

I think the volume cap in EU countries is mandated by law, not sure about US and Canada, but Singapore does not have this volume cap law. So not sure why this was forced in for non EU countries.

Previously for other Sony DAPs, Mr Walkman came up with a free software mod to bypass the volume locks, so I think it can be fixed if someone is kind enough to release some mods.

Importing the DAP in from Japan is probably the best option if you are dead set on getting the XZ707, but it is gonna add costs though. I think @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 who imported his Sony DAPs, would be the best person to give us advise here!

Jan 28, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #93,995 of 106,368
They are enormously different.

I love the B2, but their sound signature is not for everyone and not suitable for all musical genres.

It's a fairly unconventional IEM (that's why I like it).
Warm sound with important bass.

EA1000 I would say is much more in the 'standards', with impressive detail resolution and technical capabilities, and I think it is more flexible in terms of musical genres and also personal tastes.

In my opinion they are rather complementary, and frankly I would say that they can coexist in your collection, without fear of having a duplicate.
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help.

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #93,996 of 106,368

Thieaudio Hype10

Thank you @gadgetgod for sending out the Hype10 for an audition.

I will keep it short. The carrying case was fine. The cable is quite high quality, thick but pliable, and not very heavy. The shells are a bit on the bigger side and create a jammed-up feeling although fit is rather comfortable.

The sound profile is distinctly smooth with a healthy dose of bass. Midrange sounds quite natural with a nice note weight. The treble is present
but the energy is very well controlled. It is a rather U-shaped sound, where the midrange also sits forward.

The bass is full and goes deep. It also colors the midrange a bit. The midrange has decent transparency, and the notes are crisp yet smooth. The treble is also smooth and very well-extended. Soundstage is very wide, deep and decently tall as well. The notes are very well-defined with nice depth also.

Comparing with OH700VB, the OH700VB has less midbass bloom but similar subbass. The midrange sounds more transparent and the treble has slightly bit more energy and sounds more prominent. The notes are a bit more crunchy but a bit flatter. The depth and width of stage are slightly less but the height is similar. The imaging seems comparable.

IMG_1782.jpg
My question about this is does it make sense with the Monarch Mk 3 out there for just a little more?

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #93,997 of 106,368
My question about this is does it make sense with the Monarch Mk 3 out there for just a little more?
Having heard both the pairs, i would say they both sound different to each other.

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #93,998 of 106,368
Having heard both the pairs, i would say they both sound different to each other.
Sorry was in a hurry so came back to complete my message haha. Basically, Monarch MK3 sound more open, the midrange(especially upper midrange) feels a little relaxed on that one. Bass a little less(yes Hype 10 has way more bass punch, especially midbass), and the treble sounds slightly more refined. If i had heard the Monarch MK3 before, I would have grabbed that one, but I got a good deal on Hype10 from my local retailer so I am a happy man).

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #94,000 of 106,368
Has anyone managed to compare the performance of the EA500LM vs. the Fuji Falcon Ultra? I'm curious how close he could be...
Falcon Ultra is smoother , more textured bass with a more natural timbre with less upper mids making the Ultra sounds slightly warmer. That's how I hear them side by side.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #94,001 of 106,368
lol amazon must know something beyond our understanding… was browsing the EA500LM and saw this
IMG_6492.jpeg
IMG_6493.jpeg

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #94,002 of 106,368
lol amazon must know something beyond our understanding… was browsing the EA500LM and saw this
IMG_6492.jpeg
IMG_6493.jpeg

Their recommendations are obviously created using AAI (Artificial Artificial Intelligence). :wink::sunglasses:

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #94,003 of 106,368
anyone rocking a Sony nw-zx707 and have some feedback? I am really trying to upgrade my source before buying more IEMs, this falls nicely in the price range.
I was actually looking at the NW- ZX707 too when someone here mentioned that their NW-A306 now has Android 13. Sony's new firmware updated both models to Android 13 recently so I saw that as a big plus.

You can pick up the uncapped version from Amazon JP. The currency conversion and shipping fees bring up the price a bit, but at least there's no sales tax. I think you should get it so you can tell me whether or not I should get one too lol.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0BR415H6H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3CD2JYTQO2YUS&psc=1

1706463005581.png

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #94,004 of 106,368
I was actually looking at the NW- ZX707 too when someone here mentioned that their NW-A306 now has Android 13. Sony's new firmware updated both models to Android 13 recently so I saw that as a big plus.

You can pick up the uncapped version from Amazon JP. The currency conversion and shipping fees bring up the price a bit, but at least there's no sales tax. I think you should get it so you can tell me whether or not I should get one too lol.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0BR415H6H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3CD2JYTQO2YUS&psc=1

1706463005581.png
oof my tax return is looking at me sideways rn

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #94,005 of 106,368

I've been thinking about getting the 707 too. Help us theintention, you're our only hope! Although, now I'm leaning towards the new DX260 from ibasso. Still thinking of the A&K SR35 for the smaller size as well. I have almost bought like 10 different daps in the last month, just can't make up my mind.:shrug: I even considered rebuying the Pono Player for a second lol

Edit: speaking of, Pono Player was actually featured(along with Neil Young) on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert years ago. Interesting to see a dap on a show like that. youtube link

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back