The discovery thread!
Jan 24, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #93,691 of 103,533
I am about to trade my 8XX for a MEST Mk1.
Fingers crossed it works out smoothly, but I am jazzed about the prospect of getting one of these bad boys!
I asked in the UM thread about how competitive the Mk1 is these days and folks seem to still think highly about it.
I know the mk2 is highly regarded but I don't see the OG Mest talked about much anymore

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #93,692 of 103,533
Jan 24, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #93,693 of 103,533
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #93,694 of 103,533
I'm really tempted to pick up a pair but I figure they'll probably be available in the US really soon? It'd be nice to get some comparisons to the TS-316.
I confirmed with Musicteck a while back that they'll be carrying the Project M, but they weren't sure when they'll be receiving shipment.

I was going to say that if you don't want to wait then Dita's website is shipping via DHL which usually takes 3-5 days for me from Asia to the US. I just checked and unfortunately it's out of stock now. :anguished:

So at the last Can Jam Singapore, at the Final booth, for SGD$10 (around $7.4 USD), attendees could try their luck at a sure-win gatcha machine. The consolation prize was these glow-in-the-dark Final tips (5 pairs), but there were other goodies inside like some Final TWS and IEMs.

Final Getcha.jpg
Final E Tips.jpg

Anyways, to my shame, I think I spent $40 SGD on this machine. And I ended up with a lot of Final E tips LOL. But some of these do glow and come in a variety of colours. They sound and feel the same as the black Final E tips that we are familiar with. Alas, my wife wasn't pleased when she saw so many of these tips at my desktop listening rig. Especially when some of em were shining in the dark room.

This might offend the Campfire fans, but I would vote the Trifecta as the worst value IEM I've tried in 2023.
For 3.3K USD, it is very lowFI sounding, bass resonates everywhere and veils everything. It fares no better in technicalities than some IEMs that cost 10% - 20% of the price.

And it looks like a scrotum.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 134515.png

But jokes aside, look forward to your review of the Quattro! That seems of much better value!

I usually use a neutralish IEM (Sony M9) as a pallette cleanser in between A/B comparisons.

Cause if say you were using a basshead IEM before that, then if you listen straight away to another IEM that has less bass, it will definitely sound anemic in bass in comparison.
Yea, I'm not going to kid myself. I was already set on buying the Project M, but the glow-in-the-dark eartips were a bonus selling point. If I was at CJ Singapore, I probably would've kept playing until I collected those eartips in all colors.

...and lol on the Trifecta scrotish resemblance. Now I can't unsee it. Especially the blue one.

1706112405544.png

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #93,696 of 103,533
I confirmed with Musicteck a while back that they'll be carrying the Project M, but they weren't sure when they'll be receiving shipment.

I was going to say that if you don't want to wait then Dita's website is shipping via DHL which usually takes 3-5 days for me from Asia to the US. I just checked and unfortunately it's out of stock now. :anguished:

I checked with them this morning and it sounds like it'll probably be about a month or so off, but that they'll let me know when pre-orders go up. I suppose that now I'll just have to be patient and read more reviews in the meantime. I did just buy the TS-316 which I'm enjoying, anyways.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #93,697 of 103,533
...and lol on the Trifecta scrotish resemblance. Now I can't unsee it. Especially the blue one.

when the song has a really long build up

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #93,698 of 103,533
Capture+_2024-01-24-11-30-11.png

Capture+_2024-01-24-11-32-04.png

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #93,699 of 103,533
Maybe it's just me but these look so cheap like something KZ would put out. I don't like the shell at all. For $3000 I'd want top tier looks and sound.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #93,700 of 103,533
Maybe it's just me but these look so cheap like something KZ would put out. I don't like the shell at all. For $3000 I'd want top tier looks and sound.
I dig it, simple is more sometimes. I can’t wait to demo this just to be sad I can’t afford it lol.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #93,701 of 103,533
I dig it, simple is more sometimes. I can’t wait to demo this just to be sad I can’t afford it lol.
To each their own lol. I don't judge what others like but for me it would be a hard pass just based off looks. Even if it was $30 not $3000.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #93,702 of 103,533
"Seize the First Batch of VE10 Before They Are Gone"

Quite presumptuous... as if there were a queue of customers out there ready to kill themselves for this KZ clone at this very convenient price.

And now I'm expecting: "Ordered!" "Waiting for the DHL!" "Got 2 also for my grandma!"

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #93,703 of 103,533
Thank you. Venting systems make a big difference, but what does "custom film retarding driver" mean. Is it a DD or something else?
I asked myself, will let you all know when I get an answer.

So I had a headfier ask me a question today that got me thinking what the TSMR X is an upgrade from..

EA1000, but tuned better, better impactful bass and extension, better textured for bass, more airy mids with astounding dimensional qualities, treble with better extension and articulation. Its got a similar balancing of the EA1000 but with refinements on each part of the spectrum. The TSMR X imo is special. Definitley one of the absolute best IEMs I have heard this year thus far. Heck from all of last year.

@theintention MEST MK1 is good but I will be honest with you and say I like the TSMR X better at 1/3rd the cost of them. The only thing the MEST has on the X is its stage but that is due to some sucked out mids so it sounds like your getting a grand stage. And yes I own the MEST kept it around to remind me I dont need to buy another UM IEM. I am sure they make great sounding stuff. The MEST is enjoyable for certain and definitely not a bad trade especially if your more into IEMs. But

TSMR-X is a better sounding and better balanced IEM and is just as impactful, better mids, just as dimensional. Sounds a bit more refined to me years in comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #93,704 of 103,533
Listening to Daft Punk’s “Crescendolls”, the section at 2:13 in gives me that pain in my head that makes me squint my eyes a little. I’m guessing it’s the treble but can anyone tell me which frequency it is that it is?

That was with the OD200’s and Final Audio E tips, so not even a set with high treble but it was still enough to cause discomfort. I can only imagine the discomfort it’d cause if I was wearing a set that had a ton of treble-focus and makes me think i might need to avoid the likes of the EA1000. I’m thinking if I know what frequency, or region, that section is hitting, then I’ll be able to look at a graph and know I want to avoid IEM’s that peak in that area.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #93,705 of 103,533
I asked myself, will let you all know when I get an answer.

So I had a headfier ask me a question today that got me thinking what the TSMR X is an upgrade from..

EA1000, but tuned better, better impactful bass and extension, better textured for bass, more airy mids with astounding dimensional qualities, treble with better extension and articulation. Its got a similar balancing of the EA1000 but with refinements on each part of the spectrum. The TSMR X imo is special. Definitley one of the absolute best IEMs I have heard this year thus far. Heck from all of last year.

@theintention MEST MK1 is good but I will be honest with you and say I like the TSMR X better at 1/3rd the cost of them. The only thing the MEST has on the X is its stage but that is due to some sucked out mids so it sounds like your getting a grand stage. And yes I own the MEST kept it around to remind me I dont need to buy another UM IEM. I am sure they make great sounding stuff. The MEST is enjoyable for certain and definitely not a bad trade especially if your more into IEMs. But

TSMR-X is a better sounding and better balanced IEM and is just as impactful, better mids, just as dimensional. Sounds a bit more refined to me years in comparison.
Quick question: Would you consider X an acoustic upgrade as compared to Tansio Mirai Tragic Duo (Land & Sand)...?
[Iconic "Kung-Fu Hustle" reference]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back