The discovery thread!
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #92,356 of 104,350
Lots of drama around this set, but I'd still like to get the Empire Ears Raven with the never-to-be-released piano black faceplate.

Got a hypothetical for the Discovery gang this AM.

If you could buy any set right now, the price being completely left out of the equation, what ONE set would you be buying?

I’ll start, Vision Ears VE10
IMG_6294.jpeg
The Storm.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #92,357 of 104,350
KZ AS24
Ordered a second copy today - a perfectly achievable dream :)

Happiness is essentially minimization of a difference between desirable and achievable.
Nice to see someone living in the real world! Still enjoying my PR3, Krila and Castor.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #92,358 of 104,350
It's still 1/3 the price of HE-1, which some folks on Head-Fi have. :wink:

Cheers!
Not a big fan of Sennheiser, but at least the HE-1 is an absolute audiophile reference, with top-level components and writes a piece of history...
Shanling CD-T35 looks like a damn floor cleaning robot! If the poor one-kidneyless guy leaves it plugged in on the floor (not being able to lift it due to the pain of the surgery), risks that his housekeeper kicks it believing it isn't working!
Even the blue LEDs seem not well implemented, among all that plastic. I mean, for 17-18k USD I'm expecting Robocop's titanium arm fishing my CDs from Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli's jukebox, playing them at a celestial level... not less.
Estimated cost of components and software? 200 USD maybe?
Will it become a status symbol among the richest just because of its price?
Because rich doesn't always automatically mean ready to throw money out the window...
Anyway yes, it's likely that on this planet, they'll find 99...

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #92,360 of 104,350
Whew I got quite busy at work and couldn’t respond to this like I meant to.
Subtonic Storm

I haven’t stopped thinking about those photos that were posted here awhile back../ can’t remember who did that though!
Effect Audio Gaea just based on looks alone. I love the paired cable too.
What’s the sound signature in this set?
Lots of drama around this set, but I'd still like to get the Empire Ears Raven with the never-to-be-released piano black faceplate.

What ended up happening with the 2-pin recall on this? Are they still selling them?

I have never seen this colorway, the gold is a little much for me and this is… hot.
Based on all of the impressions from people I trust, probably the FiR RN6... Or Subtonic Storm... Or Oriolus Traillii. Yikes. All these choices.
But let's settle on the RN6. It helps that it looks very upmarket + its size is reasonable.

All these options; so little time… is FiR the one that is made up of people from Audio64?
The Storm.
Another Storm vote! Thing is a beauty.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #92,361 of 104,350
The reasonable side of me would say the Monarch Mk 3. It sounds great and is obtainable. The Storm will never be for me unless I hit the lottery (I could save, but there is too much competition for my dollars in other facets of my life).
Have you seen the Hype 4 impressions? It apparently graphs very, very similar to the Monarch mk3.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #92,362 of 104,350
Just got the TIMSOK TS-316, two day delivery from @MusicTeck to Norway is impressive.
One word to describe the sound: Musical
I know its a almost cliché word to use, but its just what TS-316 is for me.

I don't have my Simgot EA1000 here now, but from memory this seem as technical but better tuned for my taste.
Warmer and less aggressive sounding, but still plenty of energy to sound excellent with speedy metal or other fast genres.
And a warm natural timbre that is wonderful with acoustic music like jazz.
Wonderful midrange, love how nuanced and emotional voices are.

DSCF4062.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #92,363 of 104,350
KZ AS24
Ordered a second copy today - a perfectly achievable dream :)

Happiness is essentially minimization of a difference between desirable and achievable.
I like the way you think!

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #92,365 of 104,350
Just got the TIMSOK TS-316, two day delivery from @MusicTeck to Norway is impressive.
One word to describe the sound: Musical
I know its a almost cliché word to use, but its just what TS-316 is for me.

I don't have my EA1000 here, but from memory this seem as technical but better tuned for my taste.
Warmer and less aggressive sounding, but still plenty of energy to sound excellent with speedy metal.

DSCF4062.jpg
The Timsok was a great fit for me and it is indeed energetic. I like it a lot.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #92,366 of 104,350
What’s the sound signature in this set?
Not sure I've never heard them (and probably never will considering their price). I just love the way they look.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #92,367 of 104,350
I have heard/seen comparisons. That is certainly obtainable.
It was 360 during the last sale… the Hype 2 burned me bad but I’m not going to sit here and lie, saying I don’t miss the sound.

If anyone has the Hype 4 I would love to hear your thoughts 🙂

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #92,368 of 104,350
What ended up happening with the 2-pin recall on this? Are they still selling them?

I have never seen this colorway, the gold is a little much for me and this is… hot.
I think people are starting to get their preorders now, but during the recall, they had issues with the polish on the original glossy gold/black faceplates and switched vendors. Now the launch edition faceplate is in matte gold and the standard is in satin black. It's probably better since you don't have to worry about scratches or smudges, but I would still prefer glossy black.

1704400766441.png

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #92,369 of 104,350
Apparently zsn2 is noticably smoother but still bright. Graphwise its a less deeper v compared to its sibling.

Supposedly 30095 got updated in 2023 so it wasnt the same BA used previously even tough the name is the same.

But yeah bright treble still dividing people opinion on zsn2
----
Screenshot_20240104_144544_Chrome.jpg
Glad to know it's not the same BA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back