The discovery thread!
Jan 2, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #92,221 of 103,500
Been unable to break away from my S12 lately.

With the CORIER Brass tips and NiceHCK BlackCat Ultra cable, this thing is a detail and treble monster. I’m not one to think cables make a significant difference 99% of the time but what a pairing. The BlackCat adds a bit of bass weight, a touch of mid bass that elevates the entire IEM.

My playlist is alive this morning :ksc75smile:
IMG_6283.jpeg

Jan 2, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #92,222 of 103,500
Been unable to break away from my S12 lately.

With the CORIER Brass tips and NiceHCK BlackCat Ultra cable, this thing is a detail and treble monster. I’m not one to think cables make a significant difference 99% of the time but what a pairing. The BlackCat adds a bit of bass weight, a touch of mid bass that elevates the entire IEM.

My playlist is alive this morning :ksc75smile:
IMG_6283.jpeg
I have an eru modded S12 but I've never heard the original tuning. Wish I could compare them. I'm sure I'd prefer the modded sound if the OG has any more treble

Jan 2, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #92,223 of 103,500
So would you say the Tops have the same signature as SR5? What I love about SR5 is the balance. Nothing, for me, overshadows anything else as everything is extremely present. I don’t necessarily need more bass but if possible better quality is always welcomed. Thanks!
The TOPs have a more balanced sound signature than the SR5s.
As far as I know, the SR5s have a qdc tuning, or at least one inspired by this type of sound signature. If you notice, you get specific peaks in the treble of the SR5s, which gives them a very in-your-face signature.
The TOPs are more balanced, more melodic, with less energy in the treble (at least in some frequencies) but then with more extension.

Is it the same kind of sound signature? Maybe it's not exactly the same kind of sound signature, but it's certainly more refined and more realistic...
And comparing the two (as I'm doing now) the TOPs are well worth the price difference.
IMG20240102175217.jpg

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #92,224 of 103,500
You know something I recently discovered?
1TB micro SD cards can now be had for around $50!
There are even unknown brands (unsure whether they're legit) for about $25 through Amazon.
Just last year these were over $100 I believe.
Anyways, just filled one up over the weekend and, yep, it's a TON of room for music.
Even got some DSD on it.
Color me impressed!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #92,225 of 103,500
There are even unknown brands (unsure whether they're legit) for about $25 through Amazon.
Anyways, just filled one up over the weekend and, yep, it's a TON of room four music.
Even got some DSD on it.
Color me impressed!
Yes, years back I spent a lot on an Onkyo DAP with dual MicroSD card slots, and the two 200GB cards were some of the largest I could buy at the time and I think they cost about $100 each. Then got two 400GB when they came out and prices came down a bit. But a couple of years ago I was able to buy a 1TB for under $100, and picked up a HIBY R3 Pro Saber and that's been great. 1TB is enough to fit most of my lossless/hi-res music. There's no way I'd fit that on my phone and I love that I'm not impacting my phone battery or storage in any way and don't have to worry about wireless reception for streaming (my work is inside large buildings with very poor cell reception). Prices have really come down on name-brand solid state storage, probably because of the oversupply in that market that's still in effect.

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #92,226 of 103,500
Capture+_2024-01-02-14-07-20.png

Capture+_2024-01-02-14-07-50.png

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #92,227 of 103,500
Jan 2, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #92,228 of 103,500
Jan 2, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #92,229 of 103,500
Your cart! Does the total exceed $10,000?
Lol.
Aghh, tbh IDK. It's just like a wishlist really.
Certainly just rounding interesting stuff up and seeing if it ever goes on sale.
Good eye on that though!

EDIT: here's the total
Capture+_2024-01-02-15-25-48.png

...And you are correct!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #92,230 of 103,500
Cross answer from WC thread, some might apreciate it here also.

While some IEMs scale with desktop gear, almost all of them sounds good from a nice dongle like RU7 or even something cheaper.
My listening is mainly with DAP or fullsize DAC/AMP.

Diminishing is strong even at the 20usd bracket, but we could argue that 1000$ is point where it's more about tuning differences and getting the very last percentages of performance. Up to each if that's worth it or not, some would even stop at the cheap EA500 at 70usd and call that endgame.

My advice is take time and enjoy the ride, try different IEMs on the way up and you will probably learn what you love. And even consider buying used, if its wrong for you it's less of a loss when you sell it again.

But if you go for the 800$ mark all the models you mention will be good.

DTE900 and Neon Pro is more in the energetic and speedy camp, both are excellent. Love the Neon Pro tuning and coherent sound, but lacks DD. But it has a excellent timbre for an all BA, my favorite all BA. My metal god 😁

DTE900 is super impressive with a technical and fast low end, energetic and detailed tuning overall.
Quite unbeatable at this price range if the sound is for you. DTE900 lack some polish compared to better tuned models, and has a forward ear gain that can be to tiresome. DTE is airy, but less than Neon Pro.

Ascension is the most balanced and organic sounding AüR, the balance between the low end and the rest make it warmer than Neon Pro. Has the DD that NP lacks, it's also quite different low end tonality compared to DTE900. Ascension is more textured and natural, DTE900 is faster and more visceral but also less natural sounding on acoustic music.

Have no idea about how the crossovers work in the Ascension, but to me the midrange sound closer to DD than BA. Maybe it combines the two driver technologies. Very rich and engaging midrange, used it during Christmas vacation. Ascension midrange made me now dislike the 64audio U4s as its lifeless in comparison.
Highs are also good, airy and natural without being peaky or tiresome.

All 3 models have good soundstage
DTE900 very speaker like with a more forward projection that's further away from you. Have also more width than most IEMs.

Neon Pro is more 3D, has good depth and width but less than DTE900 and is closer to your head.

Ascension is also good at 3D stage and has a presentation that blends the qualities of NP and DTE900. Has also the maybe the best dynamic range in the stage where it can sound like it's more behind you and also reach far forward or to the sides.

@Scuba Devils is not alone, think many prefer more relaxed tunings and specially in the upper mids/ear gain.
Both Neon Pro and DTE900 has forward upper mids, both rides the borderline of what I find ok. Perfect for most days, but not on a bad day or with brighter recordings. This is also where Ascension is much better than Neon Pro and DTE900, has a more forgiving tuning.

I have still a new toy syndrome on Ascension, so keep that in mind. But even so it's a set that I wouldn't say wowed me at first listen, it has grown more and more over the days to maybe be my favorite now.

And there is plenty of other good brands and models.

1000020489.jpg
Just lurking...the most I spent on universal IEM is $1,500....demoed a lot of sets at canjam, your gonna think I'm crazy, but I'm happy with my Penon Orb, and Kiwi Ears Quintet. I use the M8, and I think its best to spend on a solid source and cable, then transducer doesnt have to be so expensive, just my belief. Also, I cannot afford the expensive sets anyway, so it works for me. :)

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #92,231 of 103,500
Anyways, just filled one up over the weekend and, yep, it's a TON of room for music.
Even got some DSD on it.
Color me impressed!
Yeah, I only use 512GB card, 1 or 2 TB is a vast amount of music!

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #92,232 of 103,500
Finally some easy to remember naming.

The new earphone model is the DB2..........1DD+1BA.

More information to follow!
unnamed-1.pngunnamed-2.pngunnamed.pngunnamed.jpg
A 1+1 hybrid?! How old school is that? Probably gets no traction? We'll see.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #92,233 of 103,500
The EPZ X Tipsy Star & One is a $70 USD collab with the CHIFI brand Tipsy. This is a personal purchase from Aliexpress at a discounted price.

Tipsy 1.jpg

- LCP + PU liquid crystal titanium composite DD

- It is not that easy to drive cause of the 64 ohm impedance + sensitivity of 112 dB/Vrms (converted to 100 dB/mW). Definitely scales beautifully with amplification.

- Shells are quite a looker (option for white or black shells). Usually my wife would give me the stare of death whenever she sees me with a new IEM. I couldn't disguise this one as an existing IEM, as this is white and purplish, unlike my other black/silver generic ones, but my wife actually asked to take a look and try it. Haha, this is a pro tip for our friends!

- Great passive isolation of around 20ish dB. Comfortable and ergonomic.

- Graph via IEC711 coupler below, 8 kHz is a coupler peak. The Star & One follows a classic Harman curve, and is quite agreeable tonally. Timbre is solid, quite crisp sounding with decent technicalities.
Tipsy X EPZ Starone.jpg

Will do some burn-in and A/B comparisons and report back, but this is quite a promising IEM from first impressions.
"decent" technicalities when there's Simgot in the same price ballpark and less with much better than "decent" technicalities? PASS.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #92,234 of 103,500
Even got some DSD on it.
Color me impressed!
Most of those cheap SD cards are FAKE. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #92,235 of 103,500
So after what has been about 72 hours of burn in, switching to the EA1000 cable, and Moondrop Spring tips, and a slight EQ of the mid bass, the OD200 are starting to enchant me. Now is it suddenly my preferred sig? NO. But playing acid jazz, R&B, and reggae, with that stage, and solid bass presence, it's just engaging af. Diggin' it. Might end up selling my IE600? Or maybe not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back