The discovery thread!
Dec 24, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #91,636 of 103,942
Crinacle's Zero 2: First Impressions:

What can I say...the 7Hz Salnotes Zero 1 is a hard one to beat in my book. Really I didn't want a Zero 2, I thought they should just leave it alone. And while this is in my ears......I can understand the profitability to introducing a new idea of a sound........but it's not as good so far? Yes, there is a more balanced rendition to playback, and yes, it fills in more holes in playback compared to the original............but I loved that lame duck of playback with Zero 1?

Edit:
The more this is in my ears....I do understand what they were going for. It's not as crippled as Zero 1, and when you really start to get a feel for what the Zero 2 is about.....well it is a value...........I mean how could you not hear this as a value? Big.....big sound for very little money...more mids in a sparkly fashion in comparison to the Nuo, it makes the bass areas of the Nuo seem just so much of a more provocative impact. Thus the Zero 2's mids are actually better, more crystalized and out-front than the Nuo, with nothing to hold them back. Where there is more bass than the original Zero 1, except what is offered up is still very carefully done and in place. I'm hearing more lower midrange than the original too. Probably more well-rounded (then the Zero 1) even if it is more middle of the road........it still offers great midrange......at least thy haven't lost that in the making. It is like due to the deficiencies of the Zero 1 there was an emphasis on mids, also I didn’t have a problem with the original treble, and never heard it as too much, it was just those mids of the original Zero.......still hard to beat, even though I hear great midrange here? This is for the people who felt the Zero 1 was lacking in areas. But if your listening to the Zero 1 and liking just what it does, I’m not so sure your going to be floored by these new additives?

DSC_0119.jpegs.jpeg
One set of red tips on the IEM.

DSC_0121.jpegw.jpegDSC_0122.jpegw.jpegDSC_0124.jpegsw.jpegDSC_0128.jpegw.jpegDSC_0129.jpegs.jpegDSC_0130.jpegw.jpegDSC_0131.jpegw.jpegDSC_0137.jpegw.jpegDSC_0138.jpegs.jpegDSC_0240.jpegs.jpegDSC_0241.jpeg
Your photos are incredible. I think you mentioned they were taken with an old DSLR and a kit lens, right?

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #91,637 of 103,942
@o0genesis0o

Thank-you, I don’t think it is anything remarkable, but thanks anyways....it gets the job done hopefully?

I’m kinda an idiot because I have a college degree in photography, but I’m not a professional photographer anymore, but I used to be. I just got a back-up camera in case my Nikon 5100 breaks, as they only take so many photographs. But I have taken all the photos with this Nikon 5100....now I have a 5200. I still don’t use the 5200 yet, it may not be as good, I don’t know?

So I went from about (5100) 16 megapixels to (5200) 24 megapixels, but I’m not sure it will be a noticeable improvement. What I have done for the last year is used a remote flash off the camera, it is on its own tripod and points at the ceiling. That bounce flash gets in combination with the ambient light. I actually will vary between flash light balance and direct sun light balance. Then I use AI in post photography to crisp things up, as it adds light fill due to what ever the computer can generate.......it enhances the contrast and color. I also do small retouching of dust spots.

My cameras are called upper-entry level. lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D5100
This is the main camera I use and I use the lens that came with it, though I also have a 50mm Nikon F2 lens that I use. Though due to the crop sensor it makes my 50mm into about an 80mm.

Nikkor 50mm f/2 AI (1974-1979, FX, DX and 35mm coverage, 52mm filters, 7.8 oz./220g, 1.5'/0.45 m close focus, about $50 used).

My new camera.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D5200

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #91,638 of 103,942
A 5-way shootout would be so much easier with TWS ... or would it? I am scared to even think about all the BT connection issues.
1000011286.jpg

It's been precisely a year since I fell into this rabbit hole and it's a hell of a rollercoaster for sure. This hobby is proving to be so much more than just enjoying music. I'm grateful for such communities despite the occasional disagreements.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Of these, are you to put them in order from best to... least best?

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #91,639 of 103,942
Of these, are you to put them in order from best to... least best?
Expect a comparison in the upcoming days. But they won't be in any particular order. They all have their strengths and weaknesses as the comparison will show.
Hopefully it'll make it easier for someone out there to decide which might be the one to go for.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #91,640 of 103,942
Wow could u share more about the Shanling H7? I think not many dare to blind purchase it.
I don't know enough English and I don't have the ability to describe in words the subtleties of feelings. In addition, I feel that it is necessary to compare with a much higher level DAC/DAP than I had before. But I will try.
My usage scenario is only with sd card. First I noticed best resolution and imagine I'd have listened to before. Sound signature is exactly what I've been looking for for a long time. Dense detailed bass, treble is not very bright but also very detailed. Perhaps best characterized by the bass power is that the TinHiFi P1 and P1 Max bass feels almost like a single DD IEM.
There is thread about H7: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...aturing-new-akm-ak4499ex-flagship-dac.965219/

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #91,641 of 103,942
Howdy folks, hope that you are enjoying some time off this holiday season. Let's have a small survey of our own:

1. After all the "discovery" this year, what gear actually form your setup?
  2. If you can change your setup, how would you change it?
  3. Imaging you are an uber successful audio influencer, and a company approached you for "collaboration." How would that IEM be?

Lemme go first:

IEMs: all options provide soundstage imaging and resolution at a good enough level that I don't care to nitpick further:
  1. U12T (neutral, mostly for mixing, mastering, and monitoring),
  2. Andromeda 2020 (when I'm in the mood for muddy analogue sound),
  3. Gaea (for aggressive and bright tone)
  4. AFUL P8 (no particular reason. I have never packed this IEM away after reviewing, so I keep using it. Mostly with the PS Vita nowadays)
Sources:
  1. FiiO K7: reliable gear in general. I use it for laptop (via USB) and nintendo switch docked (via line in). It drives both IEMs and a pair of active speakers. It's also used for measuring IEMs
  2. iBasso DX300: main DAP for visiting hifi stores and testing new gears.
  3. HiBy R3II: a nice surprise. I'm trying to get rid of the habit of listening IEMs all the time outside, so this DAP is not being used often lately.

Things I want to change / add:
  • I want to upgrade the U12T, but I don't know what to upgrade. Whatever sounds the same but "better" than U12T is going to cost a few internal organs on black market.
  • I want to swap the Andromeda 2020 for Andromeda 2023. Gotta embrace the mud.
  • I want to upgrade the Gaea to Empire Ears Odin or Annihilator 2023. Similar sound signature but significantly more technical, afaik.
  • P8 will be upgraded to Cantor whenever AFUL launches that.
  • An R2R DAP would be nice.
My dream IEM:
  • Good adherence to 10dB target, with generous subbass and upper treble boost. NO 1.5kHz boost (a.k.a., QDC-like tuning).
  • At little dampening as possible.
  • Difficult to drive (low sensitivity and high impedance). A flat impedance curve would be nice. I want to it be usable directly from 3.5mm with any audio interface.
  • Same rich and nuanced midrange reproduction as Supernova and MagicOne ...
  • ... but with the planar-like transient and that uncanny soundstage illusion of Unique Melody MEST III
  • ... with proper vents like 64 audio IEMs
  • ... does not cost and arm and a leg. Maybe around the price of Dunu SA6II would be fair for both producers and consumers.
want to say Thank you for jd7 recommendation, tried many iems this year but they're still my daily driver
i'd like to add to my setup bassy all-ba like penon turbo but cant afford em sadly
my dream collab with some company would be basshead planar/planar-hybrid under 150:)

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #91,642 of 103,942
Just listened to that on my Aoshida E20’s. Breathtaking! The 2 DDs handle it real well. I am loving this set. Yes, the upper mids can get a smidge spicy but I’ve found the right tips (I think they are letshuoers) and am using the NiceHck GT5 cable and it reigned in the slight shoutiness. Also, EQd the 4000hz area down 2 DBs and voila!!

For the $50 I paid for these I am stunned and am sending back the Oriveti OD200 😯because to my ears the stage is just as good if not better and the bass hits deeper. Maybe slightly better quality on OD200 but not much. E20 deeper bass and OD200 quicker mid bass focus. All else I’ve made equal if not better. Only thing that isn’t as good now is build quality but a great for a walk around set. So pleased!

Now waiting on that Quattro 😀
I'm so glad you wrote this post in favour of the Aoshida E20... after Monk I also found them exceptional for the price. I plugged them with a 2.5mm balanced cable to my Qudelix 5K and equalized with the app: they are energetic, fast, spacious, with detailed highs (eq. them avoids any sibilance) and with an extremely good and precise bass rumble, absolutely not bleeding... and I was so confused and sorry when theintention slaughtered them on page 6094. I mean, we all have different ears and hearing, so I can understand that not everyone can like them, but here the gap in appreciation was so wide, that I think he received a faulty set...
For me they're absolutely appreciable and approved!
The only doubt I have is about the construction: the black part which seems to be made of that smooth, soft rubber that tends to peel and become sticky over time. I hope I'm wrong.

IMG_20231224_103751.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #91,644 of 103,942
Since I get across the dateline first, Merry Xmas everyone!:santa:
Really it’s Christmas there already? I’m pretty close to you as it will be Christmas here in about 5 hours.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #91,645 of 103,942
Howdy folks, hope that you are enjoying some time off this holiday season. Let's have a small survey of our own:

1. After all the "discovery" this year, what gear actually form your setup?
  2. If you can change your setup, how would you change it?
  3. Imaging you are an uber successful audio influencer, and a company approached you for "collaboration." How would that IEM be?

Lemme go first:

IEMs: all options provide soundstage imaging and resolution at a good enough level that I don't care to nitpick further:
  1. U12T (neutral, mostly for mixing, mastering, and monitoring),
  2. Andromeda 2020 (when I'm in the mood for muddy analogue sound),
  3. Gaea (for aggressive and bright tone)
  4. AFUL P8 (no particular reason. I have never packed this IEM away after reviewing, so I keep using it. Mostly with the PS Vita nowadays)
Sources:
  1. FiiO K7: reliable gear in general. I use it for laptop (via USB) and nintendo switch docked (via line in). It drives both IEMs and a pair of active speakers. It's also used for measuring IEMs
  2. iBasso DX300: main DAP for visiting hifi stores and testing new gears.
  3. HiBy R3II: a nice surprise. I'm trying to get rid of the habit of listening IEMs all the time outside, so this DAP is not being used often lately.

Things I want to change / add:
  • I want to upgrade the U12T, but I don't know what to upgrade. Whatever sounds the same but "better" than U12T is going to cost a few internal organs on black market.
  • I want to swap the Andromeda 2020 for Andromeda 2023. Gotta embrace the mud.
  • I want to upgrade the Gaea to Empire Ears Odin or Annihilator 2023. Similar sound signature but significantly more technical, afaik.
  • P8 will be upgraded to Cantor whenever AFUL launches that.
  • An R2R DAP would be nice.
My dream IEM:
  • Good adherence to 10dB target, with generous subbass and upper treble boost. NO 1.5kHz boost (a.k.a., QDC-like tuning).
  • At little dampening as possible.
  • Difficult to drive (low sensitivity and high impedance). A flat impedance curve would be nice. I want to it be usable directly from 3.5mm with any audio interface.
  • Same rich and nuanced midrange reproduction as Supernova and MagicOne ...
  • ... but with the planar-like transient and that uncanny soundstage illusion of Unique Melody MEST III
  • ... with proper vents like 64 audio IEMs
  • ... does not cost and arm and a leg. Maybe around the price of Dunu SA6II would be fair for both producers and consumers.

1a) Main desktop setup:
- Khadas Tone Board -> Schiit Asgard 3 -> Sennheiser HD650/Yincrow RW2000/Yinman 600 ohm/Final E5000

1b) On-the-go setup:
- Dongles: Cayin RU7/Questyle M15
- DAPS: Sony WM1A/Sony A55 (both with Mr Walkman mod)
- IEMs: Sony M9/Moondrop Variations/Sony N3/Dunu Falcon Ultra/Hidizs MP145/Simgot EA1000/EPZ 530

2) I'm not actively looking to upgrade. There's always gonna be new gear coming out, the hobby is never ending, so I guess just be content with what you have. Diminishing returns are ever present once you go up the ladder, and even TOTL sets have weaknesses.
Having said that, I do check out 2nd hand forums now and then, and if some popular midFI/TOTL gear is available for < 50%, I'll opportunistically consider selling away some existing purchased gear to fund that.

3) Personally, I think the collab business is an overused horse that has been flogged to death. The first few collabs were refreshing, where big names gave tuning feedback to manufacturers, but now most of them are tuning to a curve, and most of these curves are similar. Every few weeks a new collab comes out which doesn't give much value add IMO. It seems now the situation has veered to a cash grab of sorts, and the manufacturers use the collab's name as a crutch to guarantee sales.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #91,646 of 103,942
want to say Thank you for jd7 recommendation, tried many iems this year but they're still my daily driver
i'd like to add to my setup bassy all-ba like penon turbo but cant afford em sadly
my dream collab with some company would be basshead planar/planar-hybrid under 150:)

Thanks for reading, mate! Happy that my review helped (and that you didn't pick a lemon based on my review)

Bassy all-BA is an odd and rare combination. Best of luck finding one, I would be curious to hear your impressions should you find one.

Basshead planar could be MP145 and F1 Pro. If there is a hybrid, I would prefer full range planar + full range bone conduction (e.g., the ones in unique melody IEMs)

3) Personally, I think the collab business is an overused horse that has been flogged to death. The first few collabs were refreshing, where big names gave tuning feedback to manufacturers, but now most of them are tuning to a curve, and most of these curves are similar. Every few weeks a new collab comes out which doesn't give much value add IMO. It seems now the situation has veered to a cash grab of sorts, and the manufacturers use the collab's name as a crutch to guarantee sales.

I have been talking to an IEM maker lately and it's clear to me that these people not only have the technical expertise to make and tune IEMs, they also have the finger on the pulse of the industry at a deeper level than many hobbyist "reviewer" (myself included). For example, I can gush over how great the subtonic and symphonium IEMs sounds. They gush over how great the internals and engineering effort behind those IEMs are. They are also up-to-date on the both the subjective tastes and latest research results on listener preferences. I'm constantly learning from what they describe and I can't think of what I can offer to a "collaboration" besides the fanbase (which I have none :dt880smile: )

I'm thinking about contracting a maker somewhere to make a universal IEM just for me and is willing to implement my quacky tuning idea (a.k.a., curve stolen from inspired by 64 audio trio). AmericanSpirit pointed to a store, but let's see if there is more options.

But for the sake of fun, what kind of IEM would you create if you have the reign over an IEM project?

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #91,647 of 103,942
Jesus Christ, brother! 2023 has been very kind to your ears but absolutely horrible to your pockets!
Ssh, please do not mention pockets, they still look at me in a less than friendly fashion.

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #91,648 of 103,942
I'm so glad you wrote this post in favour of the Aoshida E20... after Monk I also found them exceptional for the price. I plugged them with a 2.5mm balanced cable to my Qudelix 5K and equalized with the app: they are energetic, fast, spacious, with detailed highs (eq. them avoids any sibilance) and with an extremely good and precise bass rumble, absolutely not bleeding... and I was so confused when theintention slaughtered them on page 6094. I mean, we all have different ears and hearing, so I can understand that not everyone can like them, but here the gap in appreciation was so wide, that I think he received a faulty set...
The only doubt I have is about the construction: the black part which seems to be made of that smooth, soft rubber that tends to peel and become sticky over time. I hope I'm wrong.

IMG_20231224_103751.jpg
I’m glad you are enjoying them! I very well could have received a faulty set, took advantage of the free holiday return while I could though to fund some of my 4K collection 🙂

I really do quite like the design on these. If they make another, a metal shell like the S12 would really pop.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #91,649 of 103,942
I'm so glad you wrote this post in favour of the Aoshida E20... after Monk I also found them exceptional for the price. I plugged them with a 2.5mm balanced cable to my Qudelix 5K and equalized with the app: they are energetic, fast, spacious, with detailed highs (eq. them avoids any sibilance) and with an extremely good and precise bass rumble, absolutely not bleeding... and I was so confused and sorry when theintention slaughtered them on page 6094. I mean, we all have different ears and hearing, so I can understand that not everyone can like them, but here the gap in appreciation was so wide, that I think he received a faulty set...

IMG_20231224_103751.jpg
Yep. And for me this might be the deepest soundstage I have heard. Some songs have this depth to them it’s almost like the instruments are 20-30 feet or more behind the singer. That may or may not be a good thing for people but for me I find it really cool. Thoroughly enjoyable set without missing the details

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #91,650 of 103,942
Merry Christmas to everyone! I just want to express my appreciation to all of you and everyone's contribution to this community. Even though I rarely message here, I make sure to visit every day. I hope this community continues to grow in the years to come, and I also wish everyone good health and happiness. I'm very excited to see what next year is going to bring us.🥳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back