The discovery thread!
Dec 12, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #91,096 of 105,356
Try this one:

How easy is it to separate two cellos from each other? Can you pin point where they are? Can you separate the soloist cellos from the string section? Can you separate cellos from contrabass in the string section? Now pay attention to the orchestra. Do they sound like a mushed blob of sound that is harmonious, or you can separate and follow individual instruments if you want to? Do you hear one blob of violin sound or many violins playing together to form a violin section? Now zoom into each instruments. How much details and texture can you hear? At what point do you feel like you run into a wall and no matter how hard you try or how loud you listen, you cannot get more details out the instruments? This is what I sometimes call "inner detail" or "true resolution." Brighter tuning can fake it to some degree, but ultimately there is always a trade off.

Also try this one:

There is nothing to analyse here. Just want to share the talent. There is always a younger Asian out-Asian you :cry:

usually either i use that So Hyun Ko, or this one

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #91,097 of 105,356
Try this one:

How easy is it to separate two cellos from each other? Can you pin point where they are? Can you separate the soloist cellos from the string section? Can you separate cellos from contrabass in the string section? Now pay attention to the orchestra. Do they sound like a mushed blob of sound that is harmonious, or you can separate and follow individual instruments if you want to? Do you hear one blob of violin sound or many violins playing together to form a violin section? Now zoom into each instruments. How much details and texture can you hear? At what point do you feel like you run into a wall and no matter how hard you try or how loud you listen, you cannot get more details out the instruments? This is what I sometimes call "inner detail" or "true resolution." Brighter tuning can fake it to some degree, but ultimately there is always a trade off.

Also try this one:

There is nothing to analyse here. Just want to share the talent. There is always a younger Asian out-Asian you :cry:

Thanks for the rec, especially since it's from the soundtrack of one of my favorite millennium movies. Y2K.. that was a long time ago and now I feel old.

I usually don't have critical listening sessions since I don't do reviews, but it was kind of fun trying to listen for all the details on the same track using different IEMs. Now I'm interested in finding other IEMs at a lower price point that can match the technicalities and be as fun as the Crimson.

Oh and that young Asian musician in the second video is a great talent and she wasn't even born yet when Gladiator came out.

Out-Asian'ed once again. :sob:

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #91,098 of 105,356
Dec 12, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #91,099 of 105,356
usually either i use that So Hyun Ko, or this one

Oh yeah, that recording is something I'm using at the moment to finalise the review of EM6L. One of the best recordings I have ever heard of the Winter concerto.

Edit: @kaeswiss I'm poor at math, at violin, and piano at the same time. My parents must have thought that I was defective as an Asian :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #91,100 of 105,356
I found the bass on the OH700VB to be lacking quality from a brief listen and i was aghast at the asking price. Turning the switch on makes the bass bloat for me. Maybe finally i am loosing my hearing as people are raving about these and the energetic EA1000. Both of them don't sound extra special to me. EA1000 is better value than the 700VB definitely.

Dec 12, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #91,101 of 105,356
Been listening to the 7hz Zero 2 and the CCA Rhapsody. Some quick impressions of both.

7hz Zero 2:

Female vocals stand out for these IEMs. They are very forward and sound quite good, great for some libraries. Tuned very well to my tastes but not very detailed. A good amount of bass but the quality is lacking. For $25, it is not a bad set for someone who loves female vocals, wants something tuned well, and doesn't mind if the IEM isn't particularly resolving.

CCA Rhapsody:

Stock tuning sounded really off (all 4 tuning switches on which boosts bass and treble by 2 levels each). Having the treble boost on at even level 1 caused some sibilance in tracks so I ended up keeping them off and only using the bass boost switches. Nothing particularly stood out, but nothing stood out as being offensive either. The appearance of the IEM itself is attractive and looks like a much more expensive set. For $40 these are not bad but don't stand out for me.

The EW200 is a better set than both of these to my ears. Very impressed Simgot with how good the EW200 sounds for a budget IEM and how competitive the EA1000 are to some of the more expensive IEMs I've tried, granted I haven't tried as many as some have.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #91,102 of 105,356
I've acquired the AüR Audio Neon Pro just a few days ago and boy, is this thing on another level. Spacious, dynamic, resolving. Everything you could ever wish for if busy electronica, hard rock, metal, etc. get you going.

Equipped it with Juzear Limpid cable and Pentaconn Coreir tips.

1000010999.jpg

Looking forward to getting some time and doing a comparison of:
Neon Pro, Aurora, Aure, IE600, Butastur

edit: grammatical error drove me nuts

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #91,103 of 105,356
Well this has been a rollercoaster of a week. Started off buying the Kiwi Ears Melody’s, then tempted by the Truthear Zero: Red’s so they arrived yesterday. I also had an eBay alert on for any Ikko OH10’s that were listed and I managed to get a brand new set this morning for £130.

I’m hoping that’s it now. I think the OH10 and Hype 2 have a similar sound and the difference between £130 and £280 for the Hype 2’s SHOULD mean the OH10’s will be my endgame and I’ll finally be happy….

I know, I know. I’ll probably have another set by the weekend, but I’m trying and hopeful that this will be it! 😁
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, however endgame is nothing but a myth 😔

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #91,104 of 105,356
CCA Rhapsody:

Stock tuning sounded really off (all 4 tuning switches on which boosts bass and treble by 2 levels each). Having the treble boost on at even level 1 caused some sibilance in tracks so I ended up keeping them off and only using the bass boost switches. Nothing particularly stood out, but nothing stood out as being offensive either. The appearance of the IEM itself is attractive and looks like a much more expensive set. For $40 these are not bad but don't stand out for me.

The EW200 is a better set than both of these to my ears. Very impressed Simgot with how good the EW200 sounds for a budget IEM and how competitive the EA1000 are to some of the more expensive IEMs I've tried, granted I haven't tried as many as some have.
Rhapsody with good power (medium gain on my NX7) gets little better at clarity and everything sounds as it should without getting boomy (using UDDD setting). Probably those 2 dynamic drivers are responding better with more mW and giving quicker response.
On the other hand, EW200 doesn't scale with just amping and I don't have any warm source. This is just my observation.

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #91,105 of 105,356
Rhapsody with good power (medium gain on my NX7) gets little better at clarity and everything sounds as it should without getting boomy (using UDDD setting). Probably those 2 dynamic drivers are responding better with more mW and giving quicker response.
On the other hand, EW200 doesn't scale with just amping and I don't have any warm source. This is just my observation.
I'm running everything out of my desktop amp. EW200 has better clarity to my ears, particularly the vocals.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #91,106 of 105,356
I'm giving this one a miss the simgot tuning signature is a little too fatiguing for my tastes. Having the EA500 with the ew200 on the way is enough for me. Unless I come across a cheap used deal just to see what everyone is raving about 😉
Haven't tried any Simgot yet, upper mids/treble kept my finger off the trigger so far. But really curious, and knowing myself I will probably end up buying one.
It's just that I've seen so many saying "I love them" and continuing with describing how they try to tame the upper mids/treble.

Edit:typo

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #91,107 of 105,356

That's the Xuelin Clear - a tiny 157 gram player I've just reviewed, and I'm a bit shocked at how good it sounds. You're invited to discover why here. :smiley:

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #91,109 of 105,356
IMG_8827.jpeg

Softears Twilight is such a musical iem. From the first time you put in your ears you will love it’s tuning. It’s a warm-neutral tuning with outstanding midrange.

• The bass is nicely done having a nice DD flavour - no bass bloom, decent depth and texture, no bass bleed too. However, the quantity may not be enough for bassheads.​
  • The mids on it are just too awesome - warm and sweet, those female vocals are so sweet and quite forward too.​
  • The treble is well controlled, no unwanted peaks/sharpness, well extended. Lacks a bit of sparkle though.​
  • Class leading real and natural timbre. One of the best on a single dd driver I have come across.​
  • There is a very nice separation and layering, every instrument sounds well separated and clear. It does good justice to busy tracks too. These iems are good at capturing details and smaller nuances very well.​
  • These iems are lightweight and I don’t find any fit issues with them. I am using Spinfit W eartips. These can be put on for long hours, don’t find any fatigue.​
Overall, a really good iem and an easy recommendation but the price on it may be bit steep. They are really good but are they ~1000usd good?

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #91,110 of 105,356
Oh yeah, that recording is something I'm using at the moment to finalise the review of EM6L. One of the best recordings I have ever heard of the Winter concerto.

Edit: @kaeswiss I'm poor at math, at violin, and piano at the same time. My parents must have thought that I was defective as an Asian :dt880smile:
and somehow remember this one song that my friend recommend to me for male voice

Personally i love to try it with this as indicator whether its good for part of my library

One iem that render this soo satisfyingly was Tanya with its chunky mid (naturalness be damned)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back